9 American beers whose sales have plummetted

I tend to think of Sierra Nev. & Sam Adams as big mainstream brewers rather than craft,

But Sierra Nevada is the real deal despite its size and success. Though they're clearly well-made beers, I've never really preferred their flagship pale ale or the IPAs...but the pint of their Kellerweis that I had on draft a few months back absolutely ROCKED.

I accidentally dropped a clause that noted "mainstream due to size not necessarily taste." I guess as it was one the original "go to" excellent beers in a bottle in the early days the 2 flagships got played out for my taste buds and so I only tend to have one in emergency situations if I need a "fancy" beer when visiting small towns in the Midwest. Thus I haven't had their other beers due to the name association. The whole "eat/drink local" movement (as seen on Portlandia) is hard to avoid here so when I wasn't drinking OR (or WA) beers I gravitated to CO, although when I was last drinking beer regularly I had the summer alternating between Belgian (caloriewise it's like drinking big slices of chocolate cake) and of all things authentic Hefs, which I hadn't had in 15 years or so. And right around the height of enjoyment I stepped on a scale for the first time in ages and said goodbye to my good friend beer for awhile and spent more miles on the my good friend the bike. :lol:

Is it local?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LBICPEK6w

I'm lucky that we have some excellent microbreweries here in Michigan, including New Holland Brew Company, Founders, and Bell's.

Founders Breakfast Stout is excellent, as is the Bell's Hopslam.

Richmond has created many new breweries- one of my favorite is Hardywood- they make a Gingerbread Stout and Bourbon Cru that's amazing.Seasonal brews

You know, it's odd how the move to Oregon has affected my beer thinking. I was sitting here enjoying a nice bottle of Dead Guy Ale, thinking that's pretty common, or surely my favorite, Black Butte Porter from DeSchutes Brewery is well-known, but after poking around on the internet, I'm wondering, is this stuff available everywhere, or is it still at the level of 'local brews'?

Isn't Bud Lite and Bud the best selling beers in the world ?

Can't stand Bud products......

Not many people know this, but the Busch family nicked the "Budweiser" name from a similarly named Czech beer. The only reason I know this is because I used to hear it pretty frequently from the "escaped from Czechoslovakia" parents of one of my best friends growing up. Pilsner Urquel (not the one imported for sale here) is actually an AWESOME beer. My buddy used to sneak a few bottles back from his occasional returns to the homeland.

Bud is crap, and has always been crap. Gotta love the Busches and their ill-gotten gains. Hey, but wait a minute, that's what success in American business is all about.

Edited by JETman

Definitely not purely local. Both Rogue and Deschutes have wide regional distribution (and I spotted Rogue beers in Florida today). I don't know what the liquor store situation is like in Peoria though...

You can get Dead Guy and even the Chocolate Stout in a much smaller town 100 miles southwest of Peoria, so Peoria probably has it too. Cable food channels and the internet have changed the tastes & demands of drinkers everywhere. Which is great when I go back & visit my folks.

*Oh, I get that you likely didn't literally mean Peoria. ;)

Edited by Quincy

You know, it's odd how the move to Oregon has affected my beer thinking. I was sitting here enjoying a nice bottle of Dead Guy Ale, thinking that's pretty common, or surely my favorite, Black Butte Porter from DeSchutes Brewery is well-known, but after poking around on the internet, I'm wondering, is this stuff available everywhere, or is it still at the level of 'local brews'?

Definitely not purely local. Both Rogue and Deschutes have wide regional distribution (and I spotted Rogue beers in Florida today). I don't know what the liquor store situation is like in Peoria though...

I mentioned Deschutes earlier. Just wanted to add that it's tricky to generalize about "distribution". My brother in Oregon has been recommending various Deschutes brews to me for years, but I've come across them pretty rarely in terms of casual observation (checking restaurant menus, shopping at big retailers like BevMo, etc). When I do turn up out-of-state products, they tend to be just the most popular beers from a given brewery (Widmer hef always being available at Safeway being the obvious example). Finding specific products- particularly seasonal offerings- is another matter. I did find a couple of Deshutes brews (Inversion IPA, Twilight Summer Ale) in a supermarket in Kailua-Kona last Summer, which was a bit of a surprise.

I mentioned Deschutes earlier. Just wanted to add that it's tricky to generalize about "distribution". My brother in Oregon has been recommending various Deschutes brews to me for years, but I've come across them pretty rarely in terms of casual observation (checking restaurant menus, shopping at big retailers like BevMo, etc). When I do turn up out-of-state products, they tend to be just the most popular beers from a given brewery (Widmer hef always being available at Safeway being the obvious example). Finding specific products- particularly seasonal offerings- is another matter. I did find a couple of Deshutes brews (Inversion IPA, Twilight Summer Ale) in a supermarket in Kailua-Kona last Summer, which was a bit of a surprise.

Inversion and Twilight are not too hard to find in SF (I don't care for Twilight at all though - the only Deschutes brew I don't like).

It helps to shop at small retailers for craft beer. While the likes of Total Wine and Bevmo cover a lot of ground, you'll do best filling in the gaps with stores that are specifically devoting themselves to beer. In SF the main ones are probably Healthy Spirits on Castro, City Beer Store on Folsom, and maybe New Star-Ell on Divisadero for some of the Belgians. I admit I have more patience than most though when it comes to poking around and rarely go in seeking a specific brew.

You're on the Peninsula, right? I know the south bay/Peninsula a lot less well but here might be some threads to get started: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/san-jose-beer-stores.50894/

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/763431

Edited by Big Wheel

• 1 month later...

Inversion and Twilight are not too hard to find in SF (I don't care for Twilight at all though - the only Deschutes brew I don't like).

It helps to shop at small retailers for craft beer. While the likes of Total Wine and Bevmo cover a lot of ground, you'll do best filling in the gaps with stores that are specifically devoting themselves to beer. In SF the main ones are probably Healthy Spirits on Castro, City Beer Store on Folsom, and maybe New Star-Ell on Divisadero for some of the Belgians. I admit I have more patience than most though when it comes to poking around and rarely go in seeking a specific brew.

You're on the Peninsula, right? I know the south bay/Peninsula a lot less well but here might be some threads to get started: http://beeradvocate....r-stores.50894/

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/763431

Hey Big Wheel, belated thanks. Sorry I lost track of this thread. I'm not on the peninsula... the beeradvocate thread should come in nice and handy, though. :)

• 1 year later...

Most days I tear out a page or two of the newspaper and put the articles aside for later reading. Every once in a while I get to the stack and clear it out.

This morning I read a Wall St. Journal article from Oct. 9. Unfortunately, that seems to be too long ago to draw up the article on the Journal's website, so I can't provide a link.

The article was about the Italian government's awarding the Czech Budvar company the exclusive right to use the name "Budweiser" in Italy.

I was surprised to read that "U.S. consumption of Budweiser has fallen 24 straight years."