jazz musicians who were notorious gamblers

Clark Terry admits that he had a severe gambling problem in his autobiography. He lost many a gig's pay in crap games in the back of the bus.

One musician friend of mine said that Matt Matthews had so many gambling debts, that he had to get out of NY before you-know-who would do him in.The same person claimed that gambling debts were also responsible for the disappearance of Dick Garcia from the NY scene, although Garcia still lives in NY.

It's said that when Nat Pierce was Woody Herman's pianist and band manger, he gambled away the band's two week payroll one night in Vegas. Had to work with Herman a year longer than he planned to pay it back.

But it a non-musician named Abe Turchen who really did Herman in. When Turchen was the band manger he gambled away the band's withholding taxes over a number of years. Herman didn't know what was happening and was later held liable for all of it, since the band was unincorporated. Almost put Herman on the street. He could never retire because he had to keep the band working just to put a dent in the debt (which had been inflated by the IRS beyond all reasonableness).

It's said that when Nat Pierce was Woody Herman's pianist and band manger, he gambled away the band's two week payroll one night in Vegas. Had to work with Herman a year longer than he planned to pay it back.

But it a non-musician named Abe Turchen who really did Herman in. When Turchen was the band manger he gambled away the band's withholding taxes over a number of years. Herman didn't know what was happening and was later held liable for all of it, since the band was unincorporated. Almost put Herman on the street. He could never retire because he had to keep the band working just to put a dent in the debt (which had been inflated by the IRS beyond all reasonableness).

Yes, vividly told in this biography which I found in the Music Department of Manchester Central Library.

http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0195115740&loc=GBP

Yes, vividly told in this biography which I found in the Music Department of Manchester Central Library.

http://www.langtonin...5115740&loc=GBP

Yes, I have that book. A good read. The story is also vividly told (and shown) in the recent Jazzed Media DVD.

JM9005.jpg

http://www.langtonin...5115740&loc=GBP

I remember 'Time' magazine doing a whole article on Woody back in the 1980s and the article mentioning this.

As to gamblers - Joe Harriott was keen on the bookies, I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...