Albums featuring 2 bassists

ElginThompson

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good bass duo is The Marks Brothers (Mark Dresser & Mark Helias) on Dewerf.

Also, the classic Music from Two Basses (Dave Holland and Barre Phillips) on ECM (or was it JAPO?).

Joelle Leandre has recorded with other bassists quite a bit, the one I like a lot is Hunting the Spirits Inside Them (on Music & Arts) with Ken Filiano and Vinny Golia.

And yeah, Peter Kowald's duo with Damian Smith on balance point acoustics.

Group feat two bassists :

Woody Shaw - Blackstone Legacy Clint Houston - Ron Carter Contemporary

For the purists :

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen & Sam Jones Duo Steeplechase

And even more than 2 bassplayers :

Bass Violin Choir - Bassically yours Fred Hopkins, Phil Bowler, Gregory Maker, Rufus Reid, Brian Smith and Bob Cunningham Black Saint

And even more than 2 bassplayers : ...

Well, then there is no way to avoid these here - excellent sound, and lots of fun!

51IgpTrg1rL.jpg51%2B7sTCIs9L.jpg

Another track in this vein with Milt Hinton is on one of McBride's Verve LPs:

41GFX19HSSL.jpg

Some unreleased material was included on the bonus CD of the last Ray Brown album on Telarc:

51jMu0%2BhSSL.jpg

Mention of Peter Ind reminds me that he made an album with fellow bassist, the late Bernie Cash. I was invited along one evening in the sixties to hear them play in the Leeds home of pianist Brian Layton. It was great to hear music like that in the confines of a small room in a suburban house!

Contra+-+Bachsmall.JPG

Edited by BillF

David Friesen and Glen Moore recorded an LP of bass duos (with other instruments played by them as well) for Vanguard.

I was going to mention the Slam Stewart & Major Holley albums but was interrupted. There is a second one on Black & Blue, "Two Big Mice" which has George Duvivier in the rhythm section behind them!

IIRC, ron carter had a few recordings with him playing a 'piccolo' bass and there was someone else playing a regular bass.

That was Buster Williams. Very nice album, played it continuously back then.

41V20MMEQ0L.jpg

On Sam Jones' three Riverside albums, there often is a second bass player, mostly when Jones grabs a cello, but a few tracks have two basses. Ron Carter, Keter Betts, Israel Crosby - great choices indeed for the second bass part.

Lee Morgan's last one, IIRC, electric & acoustic, Jymie Merritt & ?

Reggie Workman! Merritt played the "electric" instrument, i.e. an Ampeg baby bass.