MLB 2013 Season

How is Philly liking Michael Young? I checked his stats last week and they looked good, but stats can lie (or at least deceive...).

I really hope he does well there. It was time for him to leave here (out with the old, etc.), but, hey, Face Of The Franchise and all that, and for good reason.

No complaints.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear that. I hope he continues to do well. It got really fashionable around here over the last few years to bash Face (even when he was having that Get On My Back And Just Ride 2011 season), and yes, he was getting older, slower, and yes, there was new blood that needed the playing time, and yes, his occasional temper tantrums were a little unbecoming, but still - Michael Young is a player, and for a looong time, he was THE player on the Texas Rangers. It's in his blood, the being a player thing is, and for me, it always sucks when you have to let somebody like that go, especially one with a real legacy with the team and yeah, you wish them well going forth.

Buchholtz = Spitballer??? Or maybe Blue Jays broadcasters = sour grapes?

http://mlb.si.com/2013/05/03/just-spitballin-buchholz-accused-by-blue-jays-broadcasters/

Supposedly they went after Tazawa too - I guess he wasn't using the slop when he gave up that game winning home run on Tuesday. :rolleyes:

This kinda summarizes the Jays season to date:

Of the five players the Blue Jays acquired in the blockbuster Marlins trade Johnson and Jose Reyes are on the disabled list, Mark Buehrle has a 6.43 ERA, Emilio Bonifacio is hitting .179, and John Buck is having a career-year … for the Mets.

And the old knuckler isn't exactly mowing 'em down either. I'd love to see the Jays stay in last place.

What the heck is going on with the weather in Chicago. I'm watching the Reds vs. Cubs game, no one is in the stands, and they're all dressed for a Bears game in December! But I'm chillin', it's clear skies and 82 right now where I'm at.

Buchholtz = Spitballer??? Or maybe Blue Jays broadcasters = sour grapes?

http://mlb.si.com/2013/05/03/just-spitballin-buchholz-accused-by-blue-jays-broadcasters/

I find it interesting as Farrell managed the Blue Jays last year. Perhaps this sort of thing was fine when (if?) it was being done in Toronto last year. Eck got in a few jabs at Morris with his comments. :lol:

How is Philly liking Michael Young? I checked his stats last week and they looked good, but stats can lie (or at least deceive...).

I really hope he does well there. It was time for him to leave here (out with the old, etc.), but, hey, Face Of The Franchise and all that, and for good reason.

No complaints.

Okay minor complaint - MY is leading the majors with 9 GIDP this season - including 2 tonight so far.

Reporter tonight to Ron Washington (parphrased):

Wash, ther's been a lot of murmurring about the offense being cold, etetcetcetc, blahblahblah, yet you guys are 19-11. You keep winning, Isn't that all that matters?

Ron Washington:

We can play baseball.

Wash, ther's been a lot of murmurring about the offense being cold, etetcetcetc, blahblahblah, yet you guys are 19-11. You keep winning, Isn't that all that matters?

Ron Washington:

>

We can play baseball.

I can't even calculate how much better they are than the pathetic bunch of over-rated douchebags that embarrassed themselves at Arlington this weekend.

Ron Washington:

>

We can play bas

eball.

I can't even calculate how much better they are than the pathetic bunch of over-rated douchebags that embarrassed themselves at Arlington this weekend.

But Dan, it's the FIRST PLACE bunch of over-rated douchebags!:)

As they say, plenty of baseball left (although I was about to get all fretful and shit when the ump missed that call on what should have been Strike 3 Out 3 to in the top of the 8th, and the next two guys got on...still plenty of baseball left, but I'm trying to mind the fretfulness these days while still watching games...we'll see how that works...or if that works...

Reporter this afternoon to Ron Washington (parphrased):

Wash, there's been a lot of talk lately about you guys building up a 19-11 record against some soft competition. How do you feel about sweeping a team like the Red Sox this weekend?

Ron Washington:

Here in Texas, we can still play baseball.

So, We Can Play Baseball seems like this season's yet-unofficial motto, and if so, how do you not like that? If the pitching holds up (and I'll be dead before I breathe a sigh of relief about that, especially Grimm & Tepesch), it'll rank up there with Great Moments In Capturing The Essence Through Understatement with when Lockjaw described the genesis of the Lock/Griff band by saying that it was formed around the concept of two guys "who could get around the horn pretty well".

And once again, all baseball fans - if you get a chance to watch Adrian Beltre play, you should, at least once or twice. The man is a joy to behold. Especially when the opponent IWs the guy in front of him.

Like we say around here, y'all can go ahead and do that if you want to... :g

Bryce Harper was ejected by Umpire Hirschbeck in the first inning of today's game in Pittsburgh. I think the ump missed the check swing call. Whatever Harper said pulled the trigger.

Not bringing it up to argue about the right or wrong. It just reminds me, weren't they saying when Stan Musial died that he was NEVER ejected from a game? I find that incredible for someone with such a long career!

Who are the Zen masters of MLB history?

Bryce Harper was ejected by Umpire Hirschbeck in the first inning of today's game in Pittsburgh. I think the ump missed the check swing call. Whatever Harper said pulled the trigger.

Not bringing it up to argue about the right or wrong. It just reminds me, weren't they saying when Stan Musial died that he was NEVER ejected from a game? I find that incredible for someone with such a long career!

Who are the Zen masters of MLB history?

One zen master was Richie Allen, who never complained to umpires, I remember reading stories about this as a kid. Steve Garvey was pretty mellow. The one player I always admired, and who carried himself in a classy way, was Johnny Bench -- in fact, I rate Bench as one of the best players I ever watched, and his fellow catchers always said that, by far, he had the best technique behind the plate.

Current player: Buster Posey seems like a guy that won't ever get thrown out of a game.

Edited by Matthew