MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gibson & McCarver in 1968?

Carlton & McCarver in '72 didn't suck either. :g (Let's all be nice to McCarver as he's done the decent thing and let his hair go grey on his farewell tour). If one wants to go the All-Star Game route in '69 Bench caught Gibson & Carlton. In '70 he caught Seaver. I quit looking for any other examples than that. :lol: Posey is fine catcher and all, but let's see if he even has a career equal Ted Simmons before calling him a "bar none" great. Sheeesh.

Gibson & McCarver in 1968?

Carlton & McCarver in '72 didn't suck either. :g (Let's all be nice to McCarver as he's done the decent thing and let his hair go grey on his farewell tour). If one wants to go the All-Star Game route in '69 Bench caught Gibson & Carlton. In '70 he caught Seaver. I quit looking for any other examples than that. :lol: Posey is fine catcher and all, but let's see if he even has a career equal Ted Simmons before calling him a "bar none" great. Sheeesh.

A Ted Simmons comment, and it's not from me! :wub: I'd probably still have to say Gibson-Bench, or Seaver-Bench. how about Bill Dickey-Lefty Grove?

Amazing that the Braves have a 4.5 game lead on May 22nd. Never would have believed it possible a few months ago. And that's with BJ Upton(man is that looking like a bad signing right now, guess we all know the NL is the toughest league to hit in now! ;) ) and Jason Heyward hitting in the .150's.

Now with arguably the best reliever the past few years in Eric O'Flaherty having TJ right after Johnny Venters having TJ, the bullpen isn't close to being the strongest part of this team anymore. I know the Nats are going to start playing better, it's just a matter of time.

How about Evan Gattis? 3rd pitch hit homer of the season last night! 9 Hr's for the season, and as of now he's basically just a pinch hitter/3rd string catcher. You know someone has to be working on a movie about his life, as we speak...

And here is a link to Mike Trout's Cycle from last night....

Something to ponder from last year's All-Star game...the best pitching battery in the history of baseball. Bar none:

af390b898f0fa20c55e28ecdb8f6482d.jpg

Better than: Whitey Ford & Yogi? Newcombe & Campanella? Koufax/Drysdale & Roseboro? I'm sure there are others...

Yep.

And they are both still early in their respective careers.

Once Kershaw gets to free agency, I sincerely hope the Giants make a run at him. Zito is gone after this year, so the money will be there.

Is Cole Hammels washed up?

Why? Because he's 1-8?? Don't look at the record or his ERA(which. is inflated because of 2 bad starts in the beginning of April and shitty defense by the likes of Michael Young). Stats only tell a part of the story. He's been pitching really well for most of the season. He's not getting support from his team either with the bat or the glove. Yesterday was a prime example. The Phillies were only able to manage 1 run(which came on a balk) against Strasburg and then Michael Young threw away what should have been an inning ending DP that allowed 2 runs to score and opened up the flood gates.

From ESPN...

"Hamels (1-8) had his latest no-support outing, striking out six and allowing only three hits through six innings. He has lost five straight starts, has had only 20 runs of support scored all season when he's been in the game and hasn't pitched with a lead since April 7. "

If the Phillies put Hamels on the trading block there would no shortage of teams that would want him.

The Tribe is in the middle of a major slump. Their bullpen, as aloc said above, is falling apart. Without them, I don't think the team can work themselves out of it.

Too bad for the Tribe they don't have any more games vs. the Phillies. :(