MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't look now, but the Houston Astros are the hottest team in MLB at the moment, riding a 5 game winning streak! :rfr

I'm shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you!) they've done that, but they've still got the 2nd worst overall record in baseball too, so it's hard to get too excited.

Plus, outside of the season opening game against the Rangers, they haven't been on tv here in Corpus, so I haven't seen them play since.

Edited by Aggie87

There isn't a chance in hell that the Astros turn out to be anything but a glorified AAA team.

There is a slightly better chance that the Red Sox start can be sustained but June will probably tell the tale:

Home for Texas and the Angels

TB and Baltimore on the road

Home for Tampa Bay

Four at Detroit

before finishing the month with six at home against Colorado and Toronto

If they can somehow run that gauntlet like they did the last 20-games-in-20-days mini marathon (13-7) then maybe they have a shot at being legit contenders the rest of the way.

Whatever happens, gotta love Papi's epic homer last night, and his equally epic bat flip. I can't seem to embed it but here's a link: :g

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2841/8931991648_f2f0f01a69_o.gif

This is remarkable if true and I'd love to see A-Rod and Braun go down for 100 games, but I can't understand why the owner of the clinic would agree to turn over everything to MLB, essentially announcing to law enforcement that he was a dope dealer. Maybe they were already going to take him down but why admit it all now? I don't think MLB's lawsuit against him was going anywhere, either.

beyond the scorecard

http://beyondthescorecard.blogspot.com/2013/06/two-out-runs.html

"1. Chances are there are more base runners than with 0 or 1 out.

2. Hitters really do perform worse with two outs--based on some research I'm doing on clutch hitting, that 17-point drop in batting average from one out to two isn't just statistically significant, it's STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT (even though true statistical significance doesn't have magnitude--it's binary, either significant or insignificant).

So, most runners on base, but pitchers have a decided edge--could very well be a stalement. The numbers suggest otherwise, since 38.4% of runs are scored with two outs, around five points higher than if runs were evenly distributed by outs. Add to this my humble acknowledgement that my first attempt at quantifying two-outs runs was, um, how shall I put this, er, WRONG, I became very curious--my question:"

About time.

BTW...whatever happened to the Roger Clemons steroid court case nonsense?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/2013/05/26/roger-clemens-still-dogged-steroids-case/ux10r465jTsYiTSu1alinK/story.html

Wait...what?

They're threatening to stay on him about steroids use? Did I read that right or is it time for a optometrist visit?

And since when is cheating on your wife a federal case against an athlete?

Thanks for bringing me up to speed, Quincy.

Edited by GoodSpeak