Jonathan Winters has passed on

I'm sorry to report that one of the most creative and influential comedians of our time has died. Jonathan Winters died last night at the age of 87.

Rest in peace, Mr. Winters, and thank you for all the laughter you shared with us. NYT

Jonathan+Winters+cameo+Xd+2.jpg

Edited by sonnymax

Did an interview with him in about 1987 or '88 in his Palmer House hotel suite when he was promoting the strange short semi-autobographical book he wrote; he was really "on," very free form. The tape of that 90 minute or so interview, judiciously edited, might be the best Winters comedy album ever. Only problem might be that our photographer was so convulsed with laughter at times that he obscured some of what Winters was saying.

He was one of my favorites too! He made the world a better place.

He was so great in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I watch it every year or so. I love when he rides into the gas station on the little girl's bike and proceeds to tear the place apart. He was so silly!

I put it on this evening, though I didn't realize it is over 2.5 hours, so we're watching it in phases. Made it through the gas station scene. :tup

He was one of my favorites too! He made the world a better place.

He was so great in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I watch it every year or so. I love when he rides into the gas station on the little girl's bike and proceeds to tear the place apart. He was so silly!

I put it on this evening, though I didn't realize it is over 2.5 hours, so we're watching it in phases. Made it through the gas station scene. :tup

:tup

I'm watching it tonight too! It's such a great movie.

Good lord...

Extremely sad news. Outside of Carlin and Hackett, he was one of the my favorites.

Jealous, Larry. But glad you were able to have that experience. Does the recording still exist?

Yes, it does -- on two tape cassettes.

Sounds like the kind of thing that should be archived.

Nudge nudge wink wink.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out of town for a few weeks and somehow missed this very sad news. He was a genius. I loved this little paragraph from the LA Times obit:

"On movie sets, he was known to ad-lib 30 minutes for the crew at lunch. Ever-playful, he once turned to fellow comic Pat McCormick in a crowded elevator and said, 'You don't think we tied him up too tight?'"

gregmo

I've been out of town for a few weeks and somehow missed this very sad news. He was a genius. I loved this little paragraph from the LA Times obit:

"On movie sets, he was known to ad-lib 30 minutes for the crew at lunch. Ever-playful, he once turned to fellow comic Pat McCormick in a crowded elevator and said, 'You don't think we tied him up too tight?'"

gregmo

:lol: