NFL 2013

I just learned of this.

From just how much of a disaster Schiano is..... They trade for Darrelle Revis....give him a 6-year $96 million deal (none of which is guaranteed...but this year he get's $16 million) and he doesn't let him play man to man @ all so far this season, but only zone defense.

You can't make that up!

To mix my sports metaphors, it's like asking Babe Ruth to bunt all the time!

Jonathan Martin is from Stanford. Not exactly small, or can't protect himself. Both his parents are Lawyers who graduated from Harvard. His Great-Grandfather was only one of 12 African-Americans in the class of 1924 and he wasn't allowed to live on campus dorm.

All kinds of shit going on with each of the Florida teams, but this is something that has been going on for a good while with him.

You don't have to read between lines what this is really about.

NFL just found itself in another mess.

I hope things turn out OK for him and it's not another Barret Robbins

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just learned of this.

From just how much of a disaster Schiano is..... They trade for Darrelle Revis....give him a 6-year $96 million deal (none of which is guaranteed...but this year he get's $16 million) and he doesn't let him play man to man @ all so far this season, but only zone defense.

You can't make that up!

To mix my sports metaphors, it's like asking Babe Ruth to bunt all the time!

Jonathan Martin is from Stanford. Not exactly small, or can't protect himself. Both his parents are Lawyers who graduated from Harvard. His Great-Grandfather was only one of 12 African-Americans in the class of 1924 and he wasn't allowed to live on campus dorm.

All kinds of shit going on with each of the Florida teams, but this is something that has been going on for a good while with him.

You don't have to read between lines what this is really about.

NFL just found itself in another mess.

I hope things turn out OK for him and it's not another Barret Robbins

Barrett Robbins was bipolar and went off his medication. This is someone his teammates bullied/pranked whatever they want to call it off the team....and according to reports it's been going on for a good while.

Like I said....read between the lines.

Edited by Blue Train

dangerous football myths--------

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/bernstein-dangerous-football-lies-exposed/

"It has been a common theme the last couple seasons, with schools wanting to boast of doing everything possible to care for students, even if they had no idea if they were telling the truth. The helmet manufacturers created new products that came with both NFL endorsements and densely-worded disclaimers – the bright, militaristic image of protection covering the paralyzing fear of lawsuits, in an inherently conflicted, ironic effort.

The futility was exposed by a University of Wisconsin study released Monday that confirmed powerfully what most already believed: no brand, type, or age of helmet makes any difference in preventing concussions.
What’s worse, the nefarious charlatans peddling specialized mouth-guards are endangering kids as they use bogus claims to steal money from school districts. The study found a much higher likelihood of concussion with their use, as opposed to a standard mouthpiece."

This is going to sound moronically priggish, but I really don't know how much longer I can follow football. I'm starting to feel like I'm following clubbing baby seals...

I haven't been paying attention this year, but I'm looking at today's scores, and I see a few that surprise me.

Cleveland beat Baltimore 24-18.

NY Jets beat New Orleans 26-20.

Miami beat Cincinnati 22-20.

Indianapolis beat Houston 27-24.

Are these merely upsets, or are some teams better than I realized?

I haven't been paying attention this year, but I'm looking at today's scores, and I see a few that surprise me.

1. Yeah, if it was last year's time it would be an upset....but Flacco is back to being pre-Super Bowl Flacco and the defense isn't anywhere as good this year without Lewis and his deer antler spray. You're basic post Super Bowl season.

2. This one is an upset....and it's now looking like the Rex Ryan circus will be around even longer.

3. This one was surprising....especially with the Johnathan Martin situation which seems to be getting uglier. Now not only is the NFLPA looking into it....the team asked the NFL to investigate what happened.

4. Houston offense just sucks and Andrew Luck is the real deal. In a few more years people will be wondering why there was even a discussion about RGIII being drafted before him, or how he won rookie of the year. 10th 4 quarter comeback in 24 starts! It helps he has his OC from Stanford as OC....instead of Kyle "Nepotism" Shanahan.....or Mike "Thank God for Terrell Davis & Alex Gibbs" Shanahan.

Also didn't help Houston that it looked like Gary Kubiak was having a heart attack before he was being taken to the hospital during half-time....especially with John Fox needing heart surgery to replace a valve. Not sure how that doesn't affect the team.

5. On Philly.....I think Foles just fits Chip Kelly's offense better. He's not as mobile as Vick, or has as strong an arm.....but he can @ least pass accurately.

Edited by Blue Train

The Cleveland and Jets wins were certainly a surprise.

If not for that bonehead keeper in the red zone and missed FG, the Texans were on their way to upsetting the Colts.

Seahawks just plain got lucky.

Strange year.

Edited by GoodSpeak

1. Yeah, if it was last year's time it would be an upset....but Flacco is back to being pre-Super Bowl Flacco and the defense isn't anywhere as good this year without Lewis and his deer antler spray. You're basic post Super Bowl season.

2. This one is an upset....and it's now looking like the Rex Ryan circus will be around even longer.

3. This one was surprising....especially with the Johnathan Martin situation which seems to be getting uglier. Now not only is the NFLPA looking into it....the team asked the NFL to investigate what happened.

4. Houston offense just sucks and Andrew Luck is the real deal. In a few more years people will be wondering why there was even a discussion about RGIII being drafted before him, or how he won rookie of the year. 10th 4 quarter comeback in 24 starts! It helps he has his OC from Stanford as OC....instead of Kyle "Nepotism" Shanahan.....or Mike "Thank God for Terrell Davis & Alex Gibbs" Shanahan.

Also didn't help Houston that it looked like Gary Kubiak was having a heart attack before he was being taken to the hospital during half-time....especially with John Fox needing heart surgery to replace a valve. Not sure how that doesn't affect the team.

5. On Philly.....I think Foles just fits Chip Kelly's offense better. He's not as mobile as Vick, or has as strong an arm.....but he can @ least pass accurately.

That's a good enough explanation for Foles unexpected degree of success. However, I watched a pre-game show where three analysts confidently picked the Raiders to win by varying scores as a 3 to 7 point favorite. Nobody had the Eagles. I didn't expect them to do as well, either. The Eagles would be done already in a stronger division, but amazingly enough they are still in the hunt.

Edited by Jerry_L

That's a good enough explanation for Foles success. However, I watched a pre-game show where three analysts confidently picked the Raiders to win by varying scores. Nobody had the Eagles.

Check the Raiders record....all their wins were against bad teams. I also think there is a Chip Kelly backlash. He's still working with players that really don't fit his offense....the defense is still a mess.....and there is the usual learning curve from going from college to the NFL. Jimmy Johnson didn't start winning until he had players that fit his style...which is why he didn't do as well with the Dolphins.

Add in, while the Raiders defense is middle of the pack overall....it's towards the bottom in passing. Also Pryor is terrible and they're barely getting by with him and McFadden was injured earlier than Pryor.

Edited by Blue Train

Just heard that the Dolphins suspended Incognito last night as part of the Martin situation. So, that's two of their starting lineman not in the game and they won.

Bad enough the racial stuff....but making a 2nd round pick pay $15,000 so you can go to Vegas.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9924206/miami-dolphins-suspend-richie-incognito-indefinitely-connection-jonathan-martin-incident

Edited by Blue Train

Nnamdi Asomugha went from being the shutdown corner of his era (for a few years a ball was passed to his side only under 30 times...Darrelle "everyone was calling him Island" Revis had the ball thrown his way 106 times to 28 for Asomugha in 2009.....and the Raiders didn't blitz like the Jets did....he had to cover people a lot longer.) to the Niners waived him today....only 2-years after Philly gave him a 5-year for $60 million.

It's time to move to safety.

P.S. Unlike many athletes....he gave back to the community.

P.P.S. This Martin thing is getting uglier. There is a voice mail and texts left by Incognito that are so bad the team now doesn't even want him back.

Talk that Mike Pouncey is also involved. He already brought the wrong type of attention with being subpoenaed earlier this week because of the Aaron Hernandez case. That's potentially 3 starters on Miami's line that are gone for good, or a while.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/11/source-incognito-is-done-on-the-dolphins.html

Edited by Blue Train

The Martin thing has gotten to a level of WTF? that I not sure can be topped.

His father has entered the act. Fair Warning some seriously disturbing things posted by his father.

Even before his father's posts....once he's on waivers and after any suspension the NFL drops....not a single team will sign his son.

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230

10 Shocking Richie Incognito Sr. Quotes

http://www.everyjoe.com/2013/11/04/sports/richie-incognito-sr-father-quotes-idrd1994-finheaven/

Edited by Blue Train

Texans announced Kubiak had a transient ischemic attack. As in, stroke-like....and there is a 50% chance he will have a full on stroke in a year. Considering Houston isn't going anywhere....you would think he would just sit out the season, or several weeks. It's only a game and there is no chance right now he gets fired.

Edited by Blue Train

Tony Dorsett and Joe DeLamielleure, and Leonard Marshall all diagnosed with having signs of CTE. Still can't believe the former players agreed to take a penny (if even that much) on the dollar in the settlement.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9931754/former-nfl-stars-tony-dorsett-leonard-marshall-joe-delameilleure-show-indicators-cte-resulting-football-concussions

Richie "Bigot" Incognito was given an "honorary" status as a black man by his Dolphin teammates. You can't make this shit up. It's really amazing just how many African-American players are coming to Incognito's defense.

Martin walked into twisted world

He confronted an unrelenting, prison yard mentality in the Miami locker room

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito

Break up Jacksonville! What do I win?

Hard to see Vick ever starting again for the Eagles...., or him back next year.

RGIII once again putting up useless numbers after the fact.

Richardson continues his dominance in the Colts loss to the Rams. 5 carries for 2 yards!

Niners and Panthers in the cupcake game. Two teams with a good record but cupcakes to do it. Both also each have "wonder" QB who haven't been to keep up the "wonder" after the first year/half-year. Interestingly, they were roommates @ the combine.

I take the Jags. Schiano is a disaster (who should have never been hired) and I don't see anyone on that team wanting him back next year. The only reason I can see that he hasn't been fired is they want to make sure to get the #1 pick. It's really come down to them and Vikings in the hunt for Bridgewater. All three teams desperately need a QB.

P.S. If they get embarrassed by the Seahawks I can see him being fired before their next game, which is a Monday Night game @ home. That's going to be one empty stadium, and a lot of booing on National TV by those that bother to go.

P.S. If the Bucs can't beat the Dolphins of all teams. Just how does Schiano keep his job?

Edited by Blue Train

The Cupcake Game turned into a battle of two possibly good defenses (really hard to tell considering the cupcakes offensively they have played and beat) and which non-wonder could come out of it looking less non-wonder than the other.

P.S. It was obvious Kaepernick was winning this particular battle....but FTW! in the worst of the two non-wonders...but he had to make sure with that last interception.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Niners draft a QB in the next draft. It's also contract extension time for him. @ least the Niners didn't give him it after last year's half-wonder. His cap hit would be $1.6 if they got rid of him.

Edited by Blue Train