Free Jazz on 7"

colinmce

I've got:

Borbetomagus - Coelacanth (on the charmingly named Butt Rag label)

Gold Sparkle Band - Nuzion (Third Eye)

Gold Sparkle Band - 2 by Shipp (Nu)

Globe Unity Orchestra - Bavarian Calypso/Goodbye (FMP)

William Hooker Group - Vulnerability/Hopi/My Friend (ERL)

Reptet - Agendacide (Monktail) Maybe not hard-core free jazz, but certainly of interest to avant-ish listeners.

Matthew Shipp Duo with William Parker - Summertime (Yakuza)

Why? I'm only speaking for myself, but:

1) Most of this music is available only in this format. Without checking, I believe that only the Shipp/Parker track has been issued issued on a full-length album. Of course, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

2. These are cool little records. Some of the appeal may have to do with hearing challenging music in a size/format more commonly associated with pop music.

Edited by jeffcrom

I do have this one:

3116150.jpg

One of the first jazz records I owned, in fact. A mundanely bizarre story about how I got it, but unless you want to hear about my cognitively challenged cousin, his father, who loved big bands, the friendship his father had with a DJ at the Kilgore, TX AM station, and all of that, hey, some other time, perhaps. But that's the basics.

There's also the jukebox single version of Ascension, which I would love to have - more as a curio than anything.

The Free Music Quartet produced a very rare EP called Zand, privately issued in Holland at the turn of the '70s. It's been on my wants list for years but I've never scored a copy (or even heard it). The group consists of Peter Van Der Locht (reeds), Boy Raajmakers (trumpet), Ferdy Rikkers (bass), and Pierre Courbois (drums). Anyone who's holding... cash or trade awaits!

Would also like the Paul Bley and Ayler/Ornette singles that ESP released even though I have the same material on LP.

I don't have too much but here is what I do have in terms of improvised music 7"s.

Peter Brötzmann/Fred Van Hove/Han Bennink - Free Jazz ünd Kinder - (FMP)

Peter Brötzmann/Fred Van Hove/Han Bennink - Einheitsfrontlied - (FMP)

Leo Cuypers, Keshavan Maslak, Harry Miller et al - Nachtricht b/w Drivin' Through The Night - (Theaterunie)

Arthur Doyle & Rudolph Grey - Ghosts II - (Foreign Frequency)

Hans Dulfer & De Perikels - Red, Red Libanon b/w I Need Some Money - (EMI)

Globe Unity '74 - Der Alte Mann Bricht... Sein Schweigen - (FMP)

Globe Unity Orchestra - Bavarian Calypso b/w Goodbye - (FMP)

Tubby Hayes - Voodoo Session - (Trunk)

Keefe Jackson & Frank Rosaly Duo - (Molk)

Ardell Nelson's Jazz Prophets feat. Leroy Jenkins - Swamp Chanting for Weedy b/w Miss Eula - (Lola's)

Marten Klapper & Martin Küchen - Irregular - (Fylkingen)

Thomas Lehn & Raymond Strid - Here/There - (Fylkingen)

Orkest de Volharding - Solidariteitslied - (De Volharding)

Oh and the ICP Flexi collection (Mengelberg-Benninnk) issued on ICP 013 is probably worth noting...

There's also a nice ICP + Breuker flexi issued as a museum promotional item in Amsterdam. I've heard it and it's pretty good.

I used to buy tons of 7"s as a young teenager but they were all indie and punk rock stuff...now I have about 1000 singles collecting dust in boxes. Now that I'm almost 40 I find them a complete annoyance...such a chore to listen to a 7" now...for 3 or 4 minutes a side it's hardly worth the effort. What makes it worse is that now new singles cost so much....I would love to hear that new Globe Unity Orchestra 7" that just came out in Austria but for $15 no thanks.

The "free jazz und kinder" double 7" was/is a unique piece of music, but I sold my copy years ago after recording it to CDR....too much of a pain in the rear to listen to!

I used to buy tons of 7"s as a young teenager but they were all indie and punk rock stuff...now I have about 1000 singles collecting dust in boxes. Now that I'm almost 40 I find them a complete annoyance...such a chore to listen to a 7" now...for 3 or 4 minutes a side it's hardly worth the effort.

I'm 15 years older than you, but I still really enjoy my 45s/7-inchers. I don't mind getting up to change the side every 3-6 minutes - I figure that I need all the exercise I can get. I have about half as many as you, in three boxes: jazz, blues, and R & B - with a few miscellaneous records in the R & B box.

I usually pull out my 45 boxes when my wife is out of town, when I can drink too much and crank them up. Part of the attraction is, as I said earlier, the rarity - I've got many items only issued on 7" (like the Dirty Dozen Brass Band's first two singles, on their Mad Musicians label, and Eddie Clearwater's "Lonely Nights"). But the "cool factor" of playing those little records is part of it, which I guess is something that either appeals to you or not.

I have the Ascension 45 somewhere. Also the ESP Ayler/Ornette 45, an ICP 45 included with an ICP/DIW LP, and some Savoy and Prestige 45s. I rarely play them - see them mostly as curiosities, though perhaps I shouldn't.

Edit - didn't read the entire subject title - missed "Free Jazz" - ignore the mention of Savoy and Prestige.

Edited by paul secor

I used to buy tons of 7"s as a young teenager but they were all indie and punk rock stuff...now I have about 1000 singles collecting dust in boxes. Now that I'm almost 40 I find them a complete annoyance...such a chore to listen to a 7" now...for 3 or 4 minutes a side it's hardly worth the effort.

I have to be in a 45 mood but when it strikes, I'm glad to have some things to play. I sold a lot of my punk & indie singles but there are certainly a number of those I wouldn't mind getting back someday.

And I've had the 45 of Miles' "The Little Blue Frog" since way back before that track was issued in any other form. It's not "free jazz," I don't guess, but it's pretty weird - as out there as much of the other music discussed here. Now you can hear the full nine-minute track, but it made for a pretty odd two-and-a-half minute single.

The other side is a short hunk of "Great Expectations."

Right, DIW. They issued a 45 to go along with the first couple hundred copies of their Sonny's Time Now reissue but mine is lacking that.

At least that track was included in the CD reissue, if I understand correctly.

Oh, really? I always assumed those DIW 45's were just the regular CD spread across three 45's.

All unique material? Live at the Pit-Inn is one of my favorite latter-day Sun Ra dates -- and I'd love to hear more material from that same gig.

Anyone have discographical details of the 45's??

I just remembered that DIW issued three Sun Ra 45s, from the same sessions as the Live at the Pit-Inn album. The 45 tracks weren't even included on the CD version. I've long lusted after them....

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Live at Pit Inn, Volumes 1-3:

Queer Notions/Prelude No. 7 (Chopin) - DIW DEP 1-1

East of the Sun/Frisco Fog - DIW DEP 1-2

Opus Springtime/Cosmos Swing Blues - DIW DEP 1-3

Pit-Inn, Tokyo; August 8, 1988 (same concert as the album)

I'm assuming you don't need the personnel, since you have the album.

• 5 months later...

I just remembered that DIW issued three Sun Ra 45s, from the same sessions as the Live at the Pit-Inn album. The 45 tracks weren't even included on the CD version. I've long lusted after them....

Oh, really? I always assumed those DIW 45's were just the regular CD spread across three 45's.

All unique material? Live at the Pit-Inn is one of my favorite latter-day Sun Ra dates -- and I'd love to hear more material from that same gig.

Anyone have discographical details of the 45's??

Live at Pit Inn, Volumes 1-3:

Queer Notions/Prelude No. 7 (Chopin) - DIW DEP 1-1

East of the Sun/Frisco Fog - DIW DEP 1-2

Opus Springtime/Cosmos Swing Blues - DIW DEP 1-3

Pit-Inn, Tokyo; August 8, 1988 (same concert as the album)

I'm assuming you don't need the personnel, since you have the album.

These three records are now on their way to me from Japan, much to my delighted surprise. I never thought I would see them, much less have copies to play.

And since I was paying a good bit for postage anyway, I also bought a copy of Marion Brown's Juba-Lee from the same vendor.