I still have a soft spot for the early Steve Miller Band albums, the ones with Boz Scaggs: Children of the Future and Sailor. Got them when they were first released back in the 1960s and now have them on CD.

(Bruce Hornsby's album with the Range, The Way It Is, isn't bad either, but that's a different topic :))

Side Two of Steve Miller's first album, "Children of the Future", has some good blues performances on it. Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidran play on it. It is as good as many of the more heralded blues rock albums of the era. I wish that Steve Miller had stayed with that style. Within a few albums from that first one, I thought he was not nearly as good.

It was one of the oddest (and maybe the stupidest) things I've ever done, but for Down Beat back in the day (maybe 1969) I reviewed a Steve Miller album (it was his first or second) and Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" together and gave the Miller's album four stars and "Natural Essence" three-and-a-half stars. What I was thinking there I no longer recall/have no idea.

I loved reading this. It makes me feel so much better about some of the odd/stupid things I have done.

I'll just say that I'm grateful to Steve Miller for providing a steady income to Paul Pena, the composer of "Jet Airliner," for the rest of his life. Now everybody stop what you're doing and go watch Genghis Blues, an amazing documentary about Paul Pena, journey to Tuva to enter the national throatsinging competition.

I think this is what Goodie meant

Not everybody's cup o'tea, but Steve Miller resinated with a lot of us teenagers in the thick clouds of 70s Rock, muscle cars and joints.

I could be wrong

Yeah, Fly Like an Eagle and Book of Dreams weren't exactly classics maybe, but with a few hits of good stuff, they were awesome...

Had no idea he was still about. But, that's probably the first time I've heard of somebody being a big Steve Miller fan. Outside of Fly Like An Eagle his tunes were mostly placeholders for the next tune on Rock radio back in the day.

I mean, just because everybody could recite the words to Joker in their sleep doesn't mean it was a great tune. He was similar to Bob Segar in that he wasn't particularly noteworthy, but his songs were somehow iconic on the radio.

Turn The Page?

I don't think so...

Or perhaps Billy Squire-like.

I find them both (Seger, Miller) to be pleasant and harmless. Scott's description seems on target to me. Though I have to emphatically disagree with him on 70s Miles, a personal fave.

Hey...it's just blue collar rock not Beethoven, Guys.

sheesh

As in, "Blue Collar" (and I really hate how you keep generalizing this to defend what you like.) ...had/have lower standards?

You like Steve Miller. Others don't. À chacun son goût. This isn't a poor/rich conversation.

Hey...it's just blue collar rock not Beethoven, Guys.

sheesh

As in, "Blue Collar" (and I really hate how you keep generalizing this to defend what you like.) ...had/have lower standards?

You like Steve Miller. Others don't. À chacun son goût. This isn't a poor/rich conversation.

It's no big thing, Blue Train. Hence, my point.

I come from a blue collar background. To me, it is a term of endearment.

Update on Mr. Miller:

Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller resigned amid controversy over the targeting of conservative groups, President Obama said.

The president vowed new safeguards to ensure that such targeting is not repeated at the IRS. "Americans have a right to be angry about it, and I am angry about it," he said.

Follow complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, http://cnn.com and CNN Mobile.

:w

Update on Mr. Miller:

Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller resigned amid controversy over the targeting of conservative groups, President Obama said.

The president vowed new safeguards to ensure that such targeting is not repeated at the IRS. "Americans have a right to be angry about it, and I am angry about it," he said.

Follow complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, http://cnn.com and CNN Mobile.

:rofl:

Update on Mr. Miller:

Well, so much for that big break in the tax biz.

Back to the guitar.

Hit it boyz!

Never was a fan. Read a few years ago Miller in SF before he went nationwide mainly lambasting other SF bands (that I like about 90 times more) saying they had no discipline and couldn't play right,etc. That seemed ironic to me.

Wasn't really a muscle car fan either. I lucked onto a beat up old '64 Alfa Romeo 1600 Veloce Spyder and dirt and street motorcycles instead, which changed my views of internal combustion propulsion immediately and ever since.