Bobby Hutcherson - Linger Lane

bertrand

I'm a fan of it. Have it on vinyl - recorded 'live' up in the mountains at Idlewild I think. It is a very happy and enjoyable recording. Very different from the likes of 'Happenings' and certainly of its time (i.e. it is pitched towards 'MOR'/FM airplay) but sometimes that can be no bad thing. The nearest equivalent by Bobby I can think of is 'Montara' - if you like that one you will probably like 'Linger Lane'.

Snippet of a fairly representative track here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItDx0mhSf4

Agree with Sidewinder. I enjoy this one quite a bit - much more than I would have thought. It has been in regular rotation since the Japanese CD came out earlier this year. Of the same general vibe as the Mosaic Select a while back. Perhaps a tad more "commercial" - a few wordless vocals, a little electric guitar, but neither of these are distracting and fit well into the overall vibe. Part of it reminds me of the more fusion-y aspects of the San Francisco lp - but I like this better.

Edited by Eric

Has the Bobby Hutcherson funk date from around the same time as Nat. Ill. ever been reissued in full anywheres? I've got one cut on a sampler and I think there are a couple of others that sneaaked out that way...

some discussion here:

I have Family Affair and Brother Rap from compilation CDs

they are not bad, definitely a funk vibe, not much in the way of solos

Hutcherson meets early Kool & the Gang meets lost blaxploitation soundtrack :cool:

Edited by Eric