Dootone and Crown Records reissues

Head Man

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Tony Hancock, British comedian. When I saw the thread about a forthcoming Hancock box, I automatically thought the BBC was reissuing a box of his radio shows.

MG

Just coincidently, yesterday I received in the mail the book "The Complete Peanuts 1959 to 1960." It has an introduction by Russell T. Davies, whom I've never heard of but presume he's British (the spellings and choice of words give him away: trivialise, sod that, counsellor, etc.). In it, he writes this: "When lists of the great comedians are being compiled - those people who know that comedy is just tragedy contained within the right frame - then the names might range from Chaplin to Hancock to Seinfeld, but Schulz is never included." So your post helped tip me off to who was being referenced.

Since this thread is (at least temporarily) veering off-topic, I thought this part of Davies's forward was excellent, and pertinent to us music lovers:

"But we trivialise this stuff as we get older. We get embarrassed by our love of comic strips and old TV shows. It's impossible to believe that puppets and cartoons and beagles once meant so much to us, so we laugh at ourselves and turn this stuff into ironic pub chat. As though we were once stupid.

"Well, sod that! Frankly, I was clever! I chose the best! Because those things you love, they become part of you. In rifling through these new and beautiful reprints, I'm amazed to see how much of Peanuts has entered my way of thinking...

"I've still got my collection. All those white-spined paperbacks - well, white until someone decided to print them in colour, but don't get me started, a completist's anger is a fearsome thing - they're still lined up, now transported intact from Swansea to Manchester. And not untouched! Because my love of these things isn't just nostalgic, and I refuse to reduce them to irony. There's still nothing better, on a Saturday afternoon, than skimming through those wonderful books...

"My ten-year-old self was right. I love Peanuts now, as much as I ever did."

• 3 weeks later...

Back on track, these arrived this morning:

CDBOPM-007_5_383_383.jpgCDBOPM-008_4_383_383.jpgCDBOPM-006_383_383.jpgCDBOPM-020_4_383_383.jpg

I've played the Curtis Counce and Carl Perkins albums and they definitely sound better than my current copies...not brilliant, but better. Since the slipcase shows a photo of the original master tapes from which this music was re-mastered, I guess this is as good as they're ever going to sound. Another plus plus point is that they each come with a decent booklet, up to the usual "Ace Records" standard.

So I now have an unwanted copy of the Curtis Counce, Carl Perkins and Dexter Gordon albums; on Dootone, Fresh Sounds and Black Bird respectively. Going for the cost of shipping is anyone's interested.

I've played the Curtis Counce and Carl Perkins albums and they definitely sound better than my current copies...not brilliant, but better. Since the slipcase shows a photo of the original master tapes from which this music was re-mastered, I guess this is as good as they're ever going to sound. Another plus plus point is that they each come with a decent booklet, up to the usual "Ace Records" standard.

So I now have an unwanted copy of the Curtis Counce, Carl Perkins and Dexter Gordon albums; on Dootone, Fresh Sounds and Black Bird respectively. Going for the cost of shipping is anyone's interested.

Many of the Ace remasters I bought over the last few years were mastered quite loud, some were too loud to my ears. They also had boosted highs, making them sound a tad harsh. They were fatiguing. How do these CDs fare?

Edited by J.A.W.

Many of the Ace remasters I bought over the last few years were mastered quite loud, some were too loud to my ears. They also had boosted highs, making them sound a tad harsh. They were fatiguing. How do these CDs fare?

I've only played two of them at present but they both seemed OK. The Carl Perkins is slightly brighter than my Fresh Sounds copy but doesn't sound 'loud' to my ears. However, I do realise that 'sound' and 'loudness' can be subjective.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get time to play them all over the next few days....I'll post my thoughts in a few days time.

OK, I've now listened to them all and here are my thoughts on how they 'sound':

Firstly, they are all 'brighter' than my existing copies as well as being slightly louder. I don't find the new sound wearing or difficult to listen to, however I must say that the overall sound quality on both these and my existing copies is not brilliant. For instance the Curtis Counce album is notably inferior in sound to the four he made earlier for Contemporary...... and they are all in mono.

So, I would say that if you already own copies of these albums then I would stick with them. I don't think the sound of these remasters is sufficiently better to warrant replacing them.

could you snap a pic of that master tape, is it a big pic in the booklet, or tiny....

im amazed they have the tape to use for these cds, technically these could possibly sound amazing....but will they, probs not

Here's what's shown on the slipcases for Curtis Counce, Carl Perkins & Buddy Collette. There's nothing shown for Dexter Gordon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98708939@N06/9582547078/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98708939@N06/9582541106/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98708939@N06/9582544130/

Edited by Head Man

How's the music on these releases? I have the Dexter on Fresh Sound, but don't know the others.

Good enough for me to buy them all ......twice..... :smirk:

IMO the best of the bunch is the Carl Perkins. It's his only outing as leader and if you've got the Dexter Gordon then you'll know how good he is.

The Curtis Counce was his final recording as leader and IMO is not quite as good as his Contemporary releases. However this could be put down to the much poorer sound.

The Buddy Collette is fine. He's not one of my favourite musicians but it's a solid effort.

My original Carl Perkins and Dexter Gordon CDs are still available for the cost of shipping if anyone's interested.

Is the Curtis Counce from the actual tapes? I'm thinking of upgrading the Fresh Sound which didn't sound all that great.

Bertrand.

See post #66 above; the tapes are owned by Ace, so the only reason not to use them would be something like too much deterioration.

Edited by J.A.W.

That sounds promising, but if anyone already bought this version, please confirm that it is not a needle drop.

Bertrand.

It's not a needledrop but the sound isn't brilliant. I have no reason to doubt Ace's assertion that the releases are remastered from original tapes so I guess the sound on these is as good as it's ever going to be.