Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

Regarding which ones to pick up, I was just listening to the Hank D'Amico and Pete Brown cd's; each must have been originally 10" lp's because they are both around 23 minutes long. I never thought those would ever be issued. This series of reissues beats the Toshiba series (of which I am a big fan; one of the best reissue series other than the "Blue Note the Works") of a few years ago for offering even more rarities.

When choosing what to purchase; obviously, let your taste be your guide. These cost 1,000 yen; the Toshiba series was 2,000; some of the Bethlehem vocals series that preceded it were 2,400 (others even more). Accouting for inflation, these current ones are a relative bargain. I used to hold off buying some Japanese reissues because I figured they would eventually pop here in the US for less. Now, the US reissues are next to nothing AND these Japanese reissues are extremely reasonably priced. So, you don't lose much. For example, "West Coasting" would have cost you about what "Sincerely, Conte" and the "Stan Levey" plays Holman, etc. would now (unadjusted for inflation, so the current one is more of a bargain). "Jazz Practitioners" (Bob Hardaway) and the Eddie Shu (I only have eyes for Shu) album appeared on the same cd on the Toshiba set; now I think you can buy each separately as part of this series (cost again relative to inflation is now less).

I wouldn't have thought all those Australian jazz Quintet/quartet or all stars sessions would have been reissued, but even if they are going to be somewhat scarce, do you want them? "Down Home" by Zoot Sims has been reissued probably half a dozen times (same with the Mingus albums; Chris Connor albums, the Dexter Gordon; the Booker Little) so you can probably find them fairly easily. "Sounds by Soclow" was on Toshiba; also a Fresh Sound, but who thought that would be reissued again?

"Powerhouse Trumpet" (aka "Toots Suite") is a very nice Conte Candoli album, but has been reissued here in the US by Rhino; used copies are somewhat common. You might want to take a chance on the more obscure ones (then again, "Many Angles of John Letman" may not be your cup of tea and here it is being reissued for a second time).

Good luck and enjoy.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hesitant about the Japanese Solid releases, but I've been listening to the three discs I got again over the last two weeks, and apart from being a bit loud, these are good value. They have no excessive treble. The only nineties Bethlehem disc I got certainly was poor sonically.

I think they may be out of print. Other vendors may have stock, but it seems that cdjapan can't get more when they try to replenish their stock.

So many of the first round OOP. Pity.

unavailable from 'cd japan', perhaps, but not out of print by a long shot...

A lot of good music on Bethlehem. I'm looking forward to the Pollard.

we've started a trend, lon!

Indeed!

I think they may be out of print. Other vendors may have stock, but it seems that cdjapan can't get more when they try to replenish their stock.

So many of the first round OOP. Pity.

unavailable from 'cd japan', perhaps, but not out of print by a long shot...

And when a vendor like HMV Japan refuses to ship to the Netherlands, that leaves discs OOP for all practical purposes. We are talking about several re-issue series here, Bethlehem, BN, Prestige, with literally hundreds of interesting discs. I can't pay extortion prices for all of them.

If there is a cheap alternative to CD Japan (and HMV Japan) with lots of stock I'd like to know about it. There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

Edited by erwbol

And when a vendor like HMV Japan refuses to ship to the Netherlands, that leaves discs OOP for all practical purposes. We are talking about several re-issue series here, Bethlehem, BN, Prestige, with literally hundreds of interesting discs. I can't pay extortion prices for all of them.

If there is a cheap alternative to CD Japan (and HMV Japan) with lots of stock I'd like to know about it. There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

Yes, that's been the key problem to a lot of the entire "Japanese reissue" debate for a very, very long time, unfortunately. It simply is discouraging ...

And with shipping, etc., prices still add up anyway.

So the situation IS a bit difficult for buyers from this neck of the woods.

As for those Y1,000 CDs, if you get one 10-inch LP's worth of music that tends to be not quite that "budget"-priced compared to other items with significantly longer playing times. (I've thought long and hard about items like the Hank d'Amico reissue myself ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

True. My experience with Maximum Rare Records of Japan (ftfym65), however, has been hit-or-miss. This seller doesn't necessarily have all the items he lists as in stock. He does have rare discs — no question there — but if you're ordering (buy-it-now) a disc that's, say, from two years ago — e-mail first to check that it's actually in stock. Just a heads-up for those posting here. I'm not discouraging shopping with Maximum Rare; I'm just trying to prevent some (potential) frustration for members here. I have purchased a few SHM-CDs from this seller without problem. Shipping is slow though. In contrast, the credit card purchase goes through right away. :rolleyes:

Regarding which ones to pick up...

Thanks for your recommendations, Baker! I realized I actually have one album on Bethlehem (Nina Simone's first), but there should be room for a couple of more titles on my shelves.

Daniel, I would not want to be without the two Ellington, the three Mingus, and others are well worth checking out including the two Williamsons, the Tormes (if you're at all into Mel) and the Leveys.

Regarding which ones to pick up...

Thanks for your recommendations, Baker! I realized I actually have one album on Bethlehem (Nina Simone's first), but there should be room for a couple of more titles on my shelves.

Daniel, I would not want to be without the two Ellington, the three Mingus, and others are well worth checking out including the two Williamsons, the Tormes (if you're at all into Mel) and the Leveys.

....especially the Levey's!

From this page: http://www.jazzdisco.org/bethlehem-records/catalog-deluxe-series/album-index/

BCP 1017 Stan Levey Plays The Composition Of Bill Holman, Bob Cooper And Jimmy Giuffre 10"

Conte Candoli (trumpet) Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone) Jimmy Giuffre (baritone saxophone) Claude Williamson (piano) Max Bennett (bass) Stan Levey (drums)

Los Angeles, CA, December 6, 1954

Exaktamo Extraversion Drum Sticks Lightnin' Bug West Coasting Fast Clip

BCP 37 Stan Levey - This Time The Drum's On Me 12"

Conte Candoli (trumpet) Frank Rosolino (trombone) Dexter Gordon (tenor saxophone) Lou Levy (piano) Leroy Vinnegar (bass) Stan Levey (drums)

Los Angeles, CA, September 27 & 28, 1955

Diggin' For Diz Ruby, My Dear Tune Up La Chaloupee Day In, Day Out Stanley The Steamer This Time The Dream's On Me

BCP 71 Stan Levey - Grand Stan 12"

Conte Candoli (trumpet) Frank Rosolino (trombone) Richie Kamuca (tenor saxophone) Sonny Clark (piano) Leroy Vinnegar (bass) Stan Levey (drums)

Los Angeles, CA, November, 1956

Hit That Thing Why Do I Love You Blues At Sunrise Angel Cakes A Gal In Calico Grand Stan Yesterdays Tiny's Tune

BCP-9 Conte Candoli/Stan Levey -- West Coasting 12"

This combines "Plays the Compositions of . . ." 10" with a Candoli 10"

Edited by jazzbo

On cd currently, or upcoming, courtesy of cdjapan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CDSOL-6123

. . . this time the drum's on me

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CDSOL-6065

Grand Stan (out of print on cdjapan)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CDSOL-6066

Edited by jazzbo