Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

another one i really don't care for is 'total eclipse'.

Do you mean the mastering of previous reissues or the recording? I know you like the music. :)

i do, of course mean the mastering. i may well have a sub par transfer for all i know, but the one adjective that comes to mind for it is 'dull'. this session demands crisp clarity to enjoy each texture and nuance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another one i really don't care for is 'total eclipse'.

Do you mean the mastering of previous reissues or the recording? I know you like the music. :)

i do, of course mean the mastering. i may well have a sub par transfer for all i know, but the one adjective that comes to mind for it is 'dull'. this session demands crisp clarity to enjoy each texture and nuance.

Thanks! I got used to the original vinyl and it wasn't until several years later I got the US CD reissue. It may be nostalgia, because even the LP didn't sound fantastic, but I think I prefer the LP over all subsequent reissues (and I've heard all of them except maybe for the HD tracks). Here's hoping for a SHM-CD!

e, yeah, it's a good mastering. Makes me appreciate the session more.

Scott, all these in this series appear to be remastered. Not sure about ALL SHM-CDs on other labels, etc. Some are NOT, supposedly, according to what I've read. I have two Grateful Dead ones I picked up as they were as cheap as regular cds and they are the same mastering as the other cd versions I had, and sounded basically the same.

Edited by jazzbo

Dude, if you were to objectively read your posts you'd see where you are passively aggessively saying others are silly or deficient because they don't do what you do. Over and over.

I'm sorry, I wish it weren't that way, but you keep coming across that way, especially with anything audio or mastering related.

I'm just calling it as it comes across. If you don't want to see that cool. I'm going to stop addressing you in posts. Please don't address me.

I honestly believe that a more resolving system allows one to hear differences that a less resolving system can't. And I honestly believe that the placebo effect works in reverse as well in that people who don't want to spend money or think some things are "impossible" convince themselvest that they don't hear things that others hear.

That's neither here nor there in my opinion. I don't present things the way you do in my estimation. And thanks for the nice and polite remark. I'm putting you on ignore if that's still possible and I'll check with others to see if you've grown up a bit more or not in a while.

Post Script: I've never done it before, but I put you on ignore.

Edited by jazzbo

'depois do amor, o vazio' must sound beautiful ...

That's my favorite track from Iska. Just gorgeous.

I'm jones-in' to see what the post-March titles for this series will be. I listened to the JRVG of Schizophrenia today, and, while that edition sounds better to me than the Connoisseur, the bass is wildly boosted. I'd very much welcome an SHM-CD version. And, heck, why not The Soothsayer too? The McMaster, while not terrible, is showing its age. (May as well have a SHM-CD of Super Nova too!)

What I'd really (really) like to see, of course, is Sam Rivers' Contours in this new series. I adore that session, and the Connoisseur is so grating to my ears. I also think it contains Freddie Hubbard's finest soloing for Blue Note.

The SHM-CD of A New Conception sounds good — particularly Rivers' horn(s), and Hal Galper's piano. The bass and drums sound better than in the Mosaic edition, but they're further back in the recording — something I just have to get used to. And, I hate to say it, but I just don't care for Steve Ellington's drumming. His bass drums figures sometimes drive me crazy — is he trying to play triplets on the bass drum? If so, he's not quite making it. In the original liner notes, Rivers comments that Ellington is his favorite drummer — so, ultimately my loss. But Rivers was also a personal friend of Tony Williams. Wouldn't Williams be his favorite? (Just sayin'.) I love the conceit of this album — that Rivers wanted to record an album to relax to. Yeah, right! Cuscuna suggests that, because A New Conception was a commercial failure (no one could relax?), this may have been the reason that Dimensions & Extensions was held back from release. I love Dimensions & Extensions, but I've always thought that session screams out for Woody Shaw instead of Donald Byrd (who's trying to sound like Don Cherry — even down to the pocket trumpet).

Listened again and again to Polycurrents yesterday. What I'm noticing as perhaps most significant as a difference in these masteirngs is the depth of the soundstage. Don't generally hear the instruments centered behind the others placed as deeply and disctinctly as you do in these masterings. Interesting new view.

Edited by jazzbo

What I'm noticing as perhaps most significant as a difference in these masterings is the depth of the soundstage. Don't generally hear the instruments centered behind the others placed as deeply and disctinctly as you do in these masterings. Interesting new view.

Agreed — I noticed that too.

I have a bad feeling I'm going to be purchasing more titles from this series than I had originally planned, thus rendering me ... loco in the coco. smiley-dance014.gif

There's still a lot of new releases to come in this series, plenty being advertised on CD Japan for release next month and beyond!

I've been concentrating on buying the Prestige (also involving Michael Cuscuna) SHM-CD's releases, also the likes of Ellington and Armstrong on the Blu Spec 2's. I figure these are less likely to have future reissues once gone, at least in the short to medium term. I have four of these Blue Note SHM-CD's: the Milt Jackson, Thelonius Monk Volume One, Coltrane's and Hancock's Empyrean Isles and I am currently waiting on Maiden Voyage, Kenny Dorham's Afro-Cuban, Blakey's The Witch Doctor and The Amazing Bud Powell Vol.1.

Blue Train compared to the RVG edition is much more dynamic IMCO. However, as a general impression, my recent auditioning of the Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD's are definitive, and that's why I've purchased Blakey's A Night in Tunisia on the Audio Wave edition, rather than SHM-CD. Of course, the XRCD's are much more expensive than the SHM-CD's.

There's still a lot of new releases to come in this series, plenty being advertised on CD Japan for release next month and beyond!

Do you have release information past February 26th? After checking HMV and CD Japan, I couldn't find any information past the initial list of 100 titles.

I found the recent SHM dsd reissue of Eric Dolphy's "outward bound" to be outstanding sound-wise as well. I'll have to buy "the all seeing eye"...have the RVG edition but it would be nice to hear this edition.

when ordering just now i realize i've been confusing 'out there' and 'outward bound' (obviously assuming the latter :( )....

unfortunately, it hasn't been announced yet. at least for this blue note series.

Correct, though if CDs sell at all in Japan I think this series could run to a second hundred....

I found the recent SHM dsd reissue of Eric Dolphy's "outward bound" to be outstanding sound-wise as well. I'll have to buy "the all seeing eye"...have the RVG edition but it would be nice to hear this edition.

when ordering just now i realize i've been confusing 'out there' and 'outward bound' (obviously assuming the latter :( )....

Presumably you want both... ;)

I now realise that it had been destroyed as an act of mercy — either that or the store owner realised he would never sell the LP with the sleeve on ...

By the way, The Department of Scientology has now mailed you a life-size poster of Messengers Corea, Holland, and Altschul for that empty space above your dining room table. It may or may not be hand-signed by Commodore Cruise.

I now realise that it had been destroyed as an act of mercy — either that or the store owner realised he would never sell the LP with the sleeve on ...

By the way, The Department of Scientology has now mailed you a life-size poster of Messengers Corea, Holland, and Altschul for that empty space above your dining room table. It may or may not be hand-signed by Commodore Cruise.

Not another one!