Which Blue Note CDs did you generally prefer before the SHM reissues?

J.A.W.

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late 2012, USPS doubled their rates, Amazon followed. Shipping a single CD to the EU now costs about $14.

holy smokes! that's insane! how awful.

You want insane, the price of "international" shipping to Canada is the same as to Europe. Tell me that's fair when it's being trucked up from Seattle or Buffalo or some such place. It used to be $1 more than domestic shipping.

The import duties to the Netherlands have recently gone insane, defying all logic of value and can be best described as ascribed by someone under the influence of the latter stages of brain syphillis. Of course, some couriers are notably worse than others, which only reinforces IMCO that the duties are imposed arbatarily depending on the night before, the time of the month, or inclement weather, or whoever is detailed with that job on that day and hour. As an example, I recently purchased one of the Ivy League oxford cloth button down shirts designed by Graham Marsh from Kamakura shirts: declared value $59.95, import duties €117.00! Needless to say, I wasn't willing to pay that and fortunately the shirt company was sympathetic to this and agreed for the shirts to be returned and to try again.

As an exercise in stopping the consumer from purchasing from the States and Japan, this attack on global trade and the common man is not working according to plan, not with me on the case! At least yet, but it does pose serious threat to the positive aspects of globalised business. At least at grunt level.

Edited by ArtSalt

Late 2012, USPS doubled their rates, Amazon followed. Shipping a single CD to the EU now costs about $14.

You want insane, the price of "international" shipping to Canada is the same as to Europe. Tell me that's fair when it's being trucked up from Seattle or Buffalo or some such place. It used to be $1 more than domestic shipping.

The import duties to the Netherlands have recently gone insane, defying all logic of value and can be best described as ascribed by someone under the influence of the latter stages of brain syphillis. Of course, some couriers are notably worse than others, which only reinforces IMCO that the duties are imposed arbatarily depending on the night before, the time of the month, or inclement weather, or whoever is detailed with that job on that day and hour. As an example, I recently purchased one of the Ivy League oxford cloth button down shirts designed by Graham Marsh from Kamakura shirts: declared value $59.95, import duties €117.00! Needless to say, I wasn't willing to pay that and fortunately the shirt company was sympathetic to this and agreed for the shirts to be returned and to try again.

As an exercise in stopping the consumer from purchasing from the States and Japan, this attack on global trade and the common man is not working according to plan, not with me on the case! At least yet, but it does pose serious threat to the positive aspects of globalised business. At least at grunt level.

What was the carrier, TNT? I thought the law stated €13 + 21% over the value of the goods plus shipping together. This for imports (from outside the EU) over €22.

I know that globalization only works for the rich, but it does strike me that what is being imposed on regular customers is not only against the spirit but possibly the letter of NAFTA, GATT, Trans-Pacific Partnership, etc. I mean these are shitty deals for citizens no doubt, but to be squeezed out from any benefits accruing from them (like being able to benefit from small-scale international shipping) just rankles.

What was the carrier, TNT? I thought the law stated €13 + 21% over the value of the goods plus shipping together. This for imports (from outside the EU) over €22.

The Japanese side was Express Mail Service and it was TNT this side. I was told I could make a claim only after I had paid the import duties, which I wasn't going to fall for, knowing all too well there would be absolutely no response after I had handed over my had earned loot.

I thought the law stated €13 + 21% over the value of the goods plus shipping together. This for imports (from outside the EU) over €22.

Correct, that's the law in the EU, though the percentage varies from country to country, depending on their VAT rate.

The import duties to the Netherlands have recently gone insane, defying all logic of value and can be best described as ascribed by someone under the influence of the latter stages of brain syphillis. Of course, some couriers are notably worse than others, which only reinforces IMCO that the duties are imposed arbatarily depending on the night before, the time of the month, or inclement weather, or whoever is detailed with that job on that day and hour.

[...]

I was told I could make a claim only after I had paid the import duties, which I wasn't going to fall for, knowing all too well there would be absolutely no response after I had handed over my had earned loot.

Your assumption is not correct. Tax and sometimes duty are imposed in accordance with EU law, not arbitrarily, and customs can't and won't ignore any claims and appeals.

Edited by J.A.W.

I thought the law stated €13 + 21% over the value of the goods plus shipping together. This for imports (from outside the EU) over €22.

Correct, that's the law in the EU, though the percentage varies from country to country, depending on their VAT rate.

The import duties to the Netherlands have recently gone insane, defying all logic of value and can be best described as ascribed by someone under the influence of the latter stages of brain syphillis. Of course, some couriers are notably worse than others, which only reinforces IMCO that the duties are imposed arbatarily depending on the night before, the time of the month, or inclement weather, or whoever is detailed with that job on that day and hour.

[...]

I was told I could make a claim only after I had paid the import duties, which I wasn't going to fall for, knowing all too well there would be absolutely no response after I had handed over my had earned loot.

Your assumption is not correct. Tax and sometimes duty are imposed in accordance with EU law, not arbitrarily, and customs can't and won't ignore any claims and appeals.

It is not assumption, it is fact based on my experience: the import duties are not uniform across courier based on similar value of goods. Therefore, the taxes and duties, although should be imposed within EU law are being circumnavigated. This I might add, is not only my position, others are complaining too.

You may be right, the customs can't and won't ignore any claims or appeals, but there seemed to be a lack of a formal claim process explained to me, without a clear process of appeal, then I am not going to risk losing my money, in addition to time, effort and worry. Indeed, the fact that more than double the declared value was attempted to be charged tells me the game is rigged and they think they can get away with it. Whether that's the customs, or someone in the courier company, I don't know, either way, I just want fair import duties and I don't want to have to fight for this, so I decided not to play their game.

Edited by ArtSalt

[...]

It is not assumption, it is fact based on my experience: the import duties are not uniform across courier based on similar value of goods. Therefore, the taxes and duties, although should be imposed within EU law are being circumnavigated. This I might add, is not only my position, others are complaining too.

You may be right, the customs can't and won't ignore any claims or appeals, but there seemed to be a lack of a formal claim process explained to me, without a clear process of appeal, then I am not going to risk losing my money, in addition to time, effort and worry. Indeed, the fact that more than double the declared value was attempted to be charged tells me the game is rigged and they think they can get away with it. Whether that's the customs, or someone in the courier company, I don't know, either way, I just want fair import duties and I don't want to have to fight for this, so I decided not to play their game.

Your allegations are very serious, in my view you're in fact accusing people of theft and corruption when you say that "the taxes and duties, although should be imposed within EU law are being circumnavigated" and that "the game is rigged and they think they can get away with it", without providing any proof. Did it occur to you that the items you were importing ("the Ivy League oxford cloth button down shirts designed by Graham Marsh from Kamakura shirts") might be subject to different tax/duty regulations than, say, CDs and did you check that before ordering the items? And did you ask why the total amount you had to pay was so high? They may have adjusted the declared value based on the info they have about the imported items - they're allowed to do that when they think the declared value is too low; in that case you'd have to prove that you actually paid the amount that was originally declared. Or maybe the carrier made a mistake when calculating the amount you had to pay, it could be as simple as that. These things happen.

For your sake I hope the people you're accusing aren't reading this, otherwise they might take you to court.

Edited by J.A.W.

J.A.W., I don't want to enter into a ping-pong match here, and with respect to your long standing contribution to this forum, but as you seem intent of stirring up the proverbial with mention of court cases, I ask you to refrain from escalating this matter out of all proportions. It is my perception that some import duties are excessive, I think this is common in most countries, with the exception of Australia I think, as they are free to import goods upto AUS$1000.00, or at least they were awhile back.

In any event - here's a plug for my fellow jazz fan and noted author and graphic designer: Graham Marsh - I don't suppose there's special import duty on goods (i.e. shirts) he has been involved with that would justify the import duties I was asked to pay. If there is, as a jazz fan, I would quite happily take this to the International Court of Justice in the Hague (as it's only two tram stops away from me) and make case that jazz fans were being victimized and set-upon by ruffians imposing undue import duties.

J.A.W., I don't want to enter into a ping-pong match here, and with respect to your long standing contribution to this forum, but as you seem intent of stirring up the proverbial with mention of court cases, I ask you to refrain from escalating this matter out of all proportions. It is my perception that some import duties are excessive, I think this is common in most countries, with the exception of Australia I think, as they are free to import goods upto AUS$1000.00, or at least they were awhile back.

In any event - here's a plug for my fellow jazz fan and noted author and graphic designer: Graham Marsh - I don't suppose there's special import duty on goods (i.e. shirts) he has been involved with that would justify the import duties I was asked to pay. If there is, as a jazz fan, I would quite happily take this to the International Court of Justice in the Hague (as it's only two tram stops away from me) and make case that jazz fans were being victimized and set-upon by ruffians imposing undue import duties.

I'm not the one who is stirring up anything. You are the one who is throwing around unfounded accusations here. Not knowing the rules and regulations of importing certain items from outside the EU - which is apparently the case here - is not an excuse.

I'm not the one who is stirring up anything. You are the one who is throwing around unfounded accusations here. Not knowing the rules and regulations of importing certain items from outside the EU - which is apparently the case here - is not an excuse.

There's nothing unfounded it what I have posted, in any event, your threats are academic: I will just claim Diplomatic Immunity and carry on. Toodle-pip!

There's nothing unfounded it what I have posted, in any event, your threats are academic: I will just claim Diplomatic Immunity and carry on. Toodle-pip!

Read my posts again, I am not threatening anyone. If you feel that I did, that's your problem. Anyway, I'll ignore your posts from now on.

Really I like the BN Works the best, but there is only a percentage of titles I have actually 'replaced'. Mostly I have just been grateful when reissues became available, in whichever series. I am debating whether to get some replacement SHMs or just go for (less good) titles I still don't own. A lot of the BN titles have paled on me over time, which is one reason I don't care to invest too heavily in them any more.