Sonny Rollins - Road Shows, vol.3

GA Russell

Got my copy today. imo this is the best of the Road Show series, and interiorly reinforces my interiorally generated theory that maybe sonny didn't make such records in the studio because, hell, would you like to have that on records and then go play a gig with everybody expecting that every time out? It kinda happened to him once before and I think it had an effect on his long-term thinking as far as what good were records for vs. why do i really play?

Of course, that raises the question, is he really opening up in his last years (hopefully many many more) or is he more or less certain that live playing is no longer going to be an ongoing concern, so hey, now I can relax about what my records are?

No matter what, though, I love Sonny Rollins, an imperfect hero is the only kind of hero worth having, imo. Otherwise, it's not a hero you got, it's an idolatrous relationship, and no thanks for all/any of that.

And oh by the way - "Patanjali", holy shit, yes, holy shit, take the The Cutting Edge band at it's best, tighten it up and better record it (and Cranshaw on wood?!?!?!?!?!?) any multiple of times over, and yes, he was right then, and provably right this time. And that was just July of 2012. less than two years ago. Coltrane had the better career strategy by dieing pursuing sainthood, but downside, real, is that he never got to work with rhythmics like this. Ok, peoples who don't like dance music because it's all drum-machiney and shit, ok, here it is not, here it is real people doing it, real people plus Sonny Rollins who is so TOO real as to render everybody else gradable on the curve.

Yes, buy with confidence. Indeed!

I love this record.

Hellyeah YES.

And this "Patanjali" thing, hezeuscristo man, this is PARTY music of the highest order, I mean my mind and body are both reeling in ecstasy from what is happening here. People wonder aobut how come Sonny don't have "real bands", hey - HERE'S a real band, and real band music for your ass (and for your mind), right here!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...