BRÖTZMANN / DRAKE / PARKER TRIO JUNE 2014 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some footage of Brotz live in Auckland (NZ)

What a bummer you missed the concert, Xybert (just saw your post from May) - do you know anyone who witnessed a concert in NZ?

I never did get the chance to fly over from Australia

What a bummer you missed the concert, Xybert (just saw your post from May) - do you know anyone who witnessed a concert in NZ?

Hey man, i haven't had a chance to catch up with my friend that went... he's not a full on jazz/improv head but knowing him i'm sure he would have loved it. Here's a review with some pictures from a local blogger: http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/livereviews/6315/peter-brotzmann-silo-park-auckland-may-3-2014/

I actually felt pretty down about missing the show, wish i hadn't been so casual about it. It prompted me to go all out and book everything i needed to book to travel to Wellington and see Corea/Burton play on this coming Friday night. Couldn't stand to miss another once in a lifetime type thing.

Hey man, i haven't had a chance to catch up with my friend that went... he's not a full on jazz/improv head but knowing him i'm sure he would have loved it. Here's a review with some pictures from a local blogger: http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/livereviews/6315/peter-brotzmann-silo-park-auckland-may-3-2014/

I actually felt pretty down about missing the show, wish i hadn't been so casual about it. It prompted me to go all out and book everything i needed to book to travel to Wellington and see Corea/Burton play on this coming Friday night. Couldn't stand to miss another once in a lifetime type thing.

What a coincidence - I'm seeing Corea/Burton next Wednesday here in Brisbane

Full house! Good gig. It was touching to watch Brotzmann showing his age in every way except musically Some serious defiance going on three. And Drake if Earth gets down to just one Druumer left and it's Hamdi, I figure, hey, earth don't need no help, Earth got Hamid/

FULLHOUSE IN AUSTIN on a Tuesday nigh - and a line at the men's room.

All told,good energy aplenty both given, recieved, and returned, The way music is tt it's best, imo.

Full house! Good gig. It was touching to watch Brotzmann showing his age in every way except musically Some serious defiance going on three. And Drake if Earth gets down to just one Druumer left and it's Hamdi, I figure, hey, earth don't need no help, Earth got Hamid/

FULLHOUSE IN AUSTIN on a Tuesday nigh - and a line at the men's room.

All told,good energy aplenty both given, recieved, and returned, The way music is tt it's best, imo.

I am planning to hear them Friday. Your comments re Hamid lead me to this on the tube. enjoying it right now. Nice way to start the day. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAZo8VddWM

Edited by uli

- and a line at the men's room.

well yeah, jazz audience showing its age in every way :P

Actually, a very young audience overall, mostly folks in their 20s-30s. That ws a refreshing thing to see.

also, it was a pleasure to meet Charles Parrish at the gig, Charles being the person who promoted/presented that marvellous Charles Lloyd show in SA a few months ago. Nice guy, we had a good chat.

But yeah, HAmid. There you go right there. Hamid. He blew my mind when for about 10 seconds, he became Chico Hamilton. Yes, Chico Hamilton.

A bit upset that I will NOT see the trio @ Vision Fest on Thursday 6/12 BUT I will see the *Great* Hamid Drake in TWO bands the last night of Vision Fest on Sunday 6/15.

Nothing can ever rival the sound/effect/vibe of Hamid Drake @ The Stone from the first or second row BUT up front @ Roulette the last couple of years has been very special indeed.

Well the only experiences that I've had with seeing Hamid Drake that were just as special were with the original, phenomenon that was the chart reading Brotzmann Chicago Tentet twice at the Stone plus the DKV trio on 3/27/01 @ Tonic as well which remains one of the most cathartic experiences I've ever experienced seeing and hearing a drummer. The penultimate grooves of Drake and the trio playing improvised music based on snippets/themes of Don Cherry/Joe McPhee and bits of great lines from others.

So glad u all are loving seeing the legendary trio

Edited by Steve Reynolds

And not unexpected, really. When Quartet Out was alive and kicking, our best crowds were always young slasher-rock types (don't know all the sub-genres then or now, but I think you know what I mean). Those "types" and an assembly of elementary school kids in inner-city St. Louis. Our worst crowds were always "jazz fans" of our own age. They were put off by the energy level (or at least the means by which it came out). The younger peoples, though, they were like FUCK YEAH GIVE ME MORE.

So yeah, ok, I understand wanting and being comfortable, because after a while, life will make you tired and sore, and some days will be worse than others. So I get that. But I also understand and encourage people of any age to not confuse being comfortable with not having to be inconvenienced, and...yeah, I understand completely why younger-ish people are readily attracted to the more "energy"-based types of any music, just a I can completely understand why older-ish people are kinda like, ok, picking my battles here, and not this one, not for me, not today, maybe after while......

Either way, hey - Hamid! Is there a Hamid Drake solo (as in only player, not as in leader) date? It would fit right in with such works as by Baby Dodds, Jo Jones, Chico Hamilton, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and...who else? Max, of course! People say I can't take too much drum solos, but with cats like this, it's not "drum solos", it's music being played on drums, if you know what I mean. A full program of music played on drums by a person who knows how to play all that music on those drums.

Me, I'm a fan.

No Drake solo recordings as far as I know. Duets with Michael Zerang exist as do duets with William Parker

Best recordings, IMO, to hear him like it was live might be: DKV trio Live in Wels and Chicago - 2 great shows from 1998, Blue Winter (trio with WP & Fred Anderson) which has Drake in prime recorded sound with Anderson and Parker at their relaxed best.

Of course Trigonomtry is DKV live from the 2001 tour recorded right before and after I saw them - 2 wonderous shows with the Don Cherry inspired music plus an amazing run up to Take The Coltrane where Drakes groove explodes the world.

The Quartet of Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan, WP and Hamid can be heard to great effect on 2 Days in April. That band live at that time (~ 1999) had people literally dancing in the aisles when they played @ Vision Fest I think in 2000. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Plus to hear the band you heard last night plus the amazing Toshinoro Kondo on trumpet/effects/genius - which is the orginal Die Like a Dog quartet - there are 4 titles on FMP. But alas Drake is not captured as well as he is on the above or below recordings.

Best bargain is the recent William Parker Wood Flute Songs 8 CD box with the Parker quartet (WP, HD with Rob Brown & Lewis Barnes) plus added musicians on 4 of the 8 discs. Priced economically. I got mine for $60 at the quartet shows @ The Stone last fall and I play most of the discs quite often.

Uli may know of a solo recording

I guess I'm getting fired up for June 15th and I just ordered my tickets for my wife and I.

Fwiw, my wife fell in love with a few drummers the last few years - bit no one for her compares to Hamid Drake. Well Nasheet is almost there, but he is wonderful and extremely exciting to watch and hear, but Drake is Drake.

As an old friend from the old board once said, he could listen to Drake play with even the guy next door.

Blues for Tomorrow, baby

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Fanboy might have missed a "limited" Okka release of For Don Cherry by the duo of Hamid and Mats Gustafsson.

I've known about it but I've never heard it.

Thanks for the compliment. I used to be too much of an asshole critical type. Some may still think I'm an asshole, but I am who I am. No apologies for being someone who when I hear and see greatness that I voice my opinion.

A few people said I would never be able to continue to be enthusiastic about the music I love for this long. I'm glad I continue to support my favorite musicians.

Always a Pleasure

I like Hamid a bunch. I wonder about Parker. I have lots of admiration and questions about Peter. That's the way I roll after 50 years of listening to this stuff, and paying money for some of it.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

Isn't more fun to listen to music when there are still unresolved questions than when we already know all the answers - that would be like watching the same episode of Jeopardy back-to-back....or like listening to Oscar Peterson.....what's the point?

I like Hamid a bunch. I wonder about Parker. I have lots of admiration and questions about Peter. That's the way I roll after 50 years of listening to this stuff, and paying money for some of it.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

Isn't more fun to listen to music when there are still unresolved questions than when we already know all the answers - that would be like watching the same episode of Jeopardy back-to-back....or like listening to Oscar Peterson.....what's the point?

Great post. Thanks.

What do ya'll recommend I use a DKV cd for, to shim a wobbly table? Because I'm surely never going to listen to it (again) in world of infinite options.

Brotzmann is great but sui generis; that this is TRUE is demonstrated by his vast and mostly high quality discography. If anything, the Tentet is the LEAST of his major ventures though they have their moments, such as the extended Kenneth Patchen tribute.

As for Hamid, he's a great foil to Brotzmann though hardly the only one. I know-- I know!!-- JSngry has perspective(s) but other folks should step back and remember-- or listen again-- to Brotzmann and Andrew Cyrille... Brotzmann and Louis Moholo-Moholo... Brotzmann and Walter Perkins (the furtive mind-boggler)... and though Bennink has his annoying moments elsewhere, there are some amazing Brotzmann-Bennink sides... Brotzmann-Bennink-Mengelberg cond. Bach Mass Bmoll... etc etc.

Chuck-- you ever hear William Parker Clarinet Trio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIiCb8GHYI

Edited by MomsMobley

Lotsa KV haters out there. Always been that way and always will.

So I see in your viewpoint the Tentet when they played charts - some of which were Vandermark penned - was a minor venture.

I understand personal taste and all that and I haven't been listening to this music for 40 or even 50 years but the two shows in the late 90's @ Tonic was not the least of anything. We all know the power of that band has never been transferred on record except to a minor extent on Stone/Water (recorded in Victoriaville - with Kondo added), but that band live at that time was as good as any band I've ever seen. Period.

Were you there, Moms? Or did the presence of Vandermark and the use of his grant to put that band on the road sway you from attending any of those shows from the earlier tours of the band before they gave up on the written material?

Fwiw, giving up on the charts in my mind was a big disappointment - this was one of the inviting aspects of that original Chicago Octet/Tentet/Tentet plus 1 or 2.

Brotzmann with Fred Hopkins and Rashied Ali on Songlines another powerhouse record. Brotzmann is Sui Generis and sounds great with a variety of great drummers.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

QUOTE: "As for Hamid, he's a great foil to Brotzmann though hardly the only one. I know-- I know!!-- JSngry has perspective(s) but other folks should step back and remember-- or listen again-- to Brotzmann and Andrew Cyrille... Brotzmann and Louis Moholo-Moholo... Brotzmann and Walter Perkins (the furtive mind-boggler)... and though Bennink has his annoying moments elsewhere, there are some amazing Brotzmann-Bennink sides... Brotzmann-Bennink-Mengelberg cond. Bach Mass Bmoll... etc etc."

Want to add Brotzmann and Paal Nilssen-Love, always a powerful and articulate combination. I think the two are moy simpatico.

PS: Maybe Chuck could lay out what those questions about Brotzmann are, so that the discussion has something specific to work with.

Edited by Leeway

Fanboy might have missed a "limited" Okka release of For Don Cherry by the duo of Hamid and Mats Gustafsson.

Yeah, that's a good one!

Looking forward to seeing Brö/Parker/Drake at Vision next week. The Austin audience always kills it, in the best way possible.

That recent book of interviews between Gerard Rouy and PB is well worth checking out, by the way.