RIP Johnny Winter

bluesoul

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/07/17/world/europe/ap-eu-switzerland-obit-winter.html

Texas blues icon Johnny Winter, who rose to fame in the late 1960s and '70s for his energetic performances and musical collaborations including with childhood hero Muddy Waters, has died. He was 70.
His representative, Carla Parisi, confirmed Thursday that Winter died in a hotel room in Zurich a day earlier. The statement said his wife, family and bandmates were all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists.
He had been on an extensive tour this year that brought him to Europe. His last performance came Saturday at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria.
Edited by bluesoul

I had rediscovered his music in recent years and have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I really like his 1990s albums, including "Hey Where's Your Brother" and "Live NYC '97".

The Deluxe 2 CD set of "Second Winter" is a favorite of mine. The second disc contains an excellent live set.

His Woodstock CD, with his complete set, is another excellent album.

His 1980s Alligator releases are some intense electric blues outings. He recorded a lot of very worthy music after his first rock star burst of fame.

He had more good music left to give us. This is a sad loss.

I'll always be grateful for Hard Again. Of all the things that could have happened with all of that (and didn't), hey, well done.

Yes, he helped bring Muddy Waters to a new level of recognition and popularity, with a minimum of commercial concessions or false steps. He could have spent those years on his own career--the "Captured Live" album from just before that time, is quite energetic and good--or sitting on a veranda drinking cool beverages. Instead he helped out Muddy Waters, and didn't get much recognition for it for himself, outside of a small blues fanatic circle.

I saw him about a dozen times, mostly between 1978-84. He had Bobby Torello on drums, double bass mayhem...a real power trio.

I'll always be grateful for Hard Again. Of all the things that could have happened with all of that (and didn't), hey, well done.

Yes, he helped bring Muddy Waters to a new level of recognition and popularity, with a minimum of commercial concessions or false steps. He could have spent those years on his own career--the "Captured Live" album from just before that time, is quite energetic and good--or sitting on a veranda drinking cool beverages. Instead he helped out Muddy Waters, and didn't get much recognition for it for himself, outside of a small blues fanatic circle.

from Wiki:

"Winter also produced three Grammy Award-winning albums for blues legend Muddy Waters. After his time with Waters, Winter recorded several Grammy-nominated blues albums. '

I didn't hear of him until I had seen/heard Muddy, Buddy Guy, Wolf, Junior Wells, JB Hutto, Otis Rush and others. I understand the impact he must have had for those coming later but... No disrespect meant.

JW was really hyper for a blues guy. He reminded me of the English blues/rock guys like Beck and Page.

The blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll.

Chuck, I have seen Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, Son Seals, Albert Collins, B..B. King, Albert King and Buddy Guy live, among others. I fully understand the distinction you are making.

Yet among the white blues artists, I think Winter was the best. He had a genuine love and knowledge of the older blues. His slide guitat playing was really good. He tended toward bombast, volume and speed at times, but at other times he achieved some really compelling blues guitar playing. I prefer his less heralded blues albums which probably sold 1/1000th as much as his Columbia albums at the time that Columbia was trying to make him a rock star.

I think his first Columbia LP, titled "Johnny Winter", was one of the worst of his career, a time when he just did not achieve the blues feeling he was striving for. He did much better on many other albums.

He wasn't the deepest blues artist, but he was not as shallow as a birdbath either. He should not be lumped with other mechanical guitar technicians posing as bluesmen. His later albums went much beyond that, I think.

Chuck, I have seen Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, Son Seals, Albert Collins, B..B. King, Albert King and Buddy Guy live, among others. I fully understand the distinction you are making.

Yet among the white blues artists, I think Winter was the best. He had a genuine love and knowledge of the older blues. His slide guitat playing was really good. He tended toward bombast, volume and speed at times, but at other times he achieved some really compelling blues guitar playing. I prefer his less heralded blues albums which probably sold 1/1000th as much as his Columbia albums at the time that Columbia was trying to make him a rock star.

I think his first Columbia LP, titled "Johnny Winter", was one of the worst of his career, a time when he just did not achieve the blues feeling he was striving for. He did much better on many other albums.

He wasn't the deepest blues artist, but he was not as shallow as a birdbath either. He should not be lumped with other mechanical guitar technicians posing as bluesmen. His later albums went much beyond that, I think.

The point I was making was I heard and saw them all about 8 years before Mr Winter was on the radar. That does make a different impression.

The point I was making was I heard and saw them all about 8 years before Mr Winter was on the radar. That does make a different impression.

Like Hendrix, he was the next generation, JW wasn't just a blues man.

I don't love everything. When he left Columbia/Blue Sky Records for Alligator and started playing a different guitar, his sound changed and I lost interest for a long time.