One of my "Holy Grails"

Ed S

I became aware of Mosaic Records in the late 1990's.

An interesting story, to me at least, is how I became aware of Mosaic. I was at my office at work and was working on implementing a Pharmacy Information system in the hospital at which I am employed. It was late - perhaps 9 or 10 PM and I was on the phone with a technical person from the system that we were implementing. Since I was pretty much alone, I was playing some Dexter Gordon discs (rather loudly) as I did my work. The guy on the other end of the phone - I'll call him PF (real initials in case he is a member here) asked me if I was listening to Dexter Gordon. Who would have thunk it???? Some guy on the other end of a phone identifying Dex....

After some talk about Dex and jazz, he mentioned Mosaic Records and the fact that he had just picked up the Jackie McLean set and that it would be right up my alley. He got my address and sent me a catalog - which I still have - along with a note that he attached.

Based on that recommendation, I ordered my first Mosaic - the Jackie McLean and have continued on as a fan of the label. At the time, I gobbled up everything I could but missed out on one - The Cecil Taylor/Buell Neidlinger set. I've watched for this set over the years and have always missed out - either by timing - or that the price was too high.

Just this past week, I was able to score a set on ebay - from the seller bluenotesound. I think most know who that is.

The set was delivered today. It's pristine. number 41 for those who care.

Looking forward to listening to it.

One of my Holy Grails has been obtained..... Nice.......

Nice story, Ed. That's a great set. Picked up a partial quite some time ago from Mosaic with help from a board member (who used to be at the blue note board as well) I used to trade with. I too got into Mosaic in the late 90s (1997) when I was coming back to jazz. Haven't stopped since.

One of my favourite M's !!

That was my second Mosaic (after the Mingus Candid) back in 1993 - can't believe that's over 20 years ago now

I managed to get Steve Lacy to autograph the booklet (smack bang in the middle of Denis Charles bass drum ) when he played here in Brisbane sometime in the late 90's

I'm happy for you. Almost three months ago I bought a mint copy numbered 39 from bluenotesound. I was anxious this would be the final copy he had on offer. I guess the well has not completely dried up yet?

The bidding started at $124.99 and a Taylor set of his one auction before me ended up selling for that price. My winning bid was $162.50. The bluenotesound Taylor auction after me ended at $160. Can I ask you what you ended up paying for your copy? Were you lucky enough to be the only bidder?

I'm happy for you. Almost three months ago I bought a mint copy numbered 39 from bluenotesound. I was anxious this would be the final copy he had on offer. I guess the well has not completely dried up yet?

The bidding started at $124.99 and a Taylor set of his one auction before me ended up selling for that price. My winning bid was $162.50. The bluenotesound Taylor auction after me ended at $160. Can I ask you what you ended up paying for your copy? Were you lucky enough to be the only bidder?

No problem. This set started at $149.99. There was only one bidder - who had bid $150. I have to admit I sniped it at the end. My max bid was around $165 - but I ended getting at $152.50 as the second of two bidders. Looking forward to listening to it this weekend.