Where's that damned time machine?

jazzbo

The 2005 Grammys. Whilst there I would peruse the latest music magazines.

On return I could:

a) Go to the bookies and get some very good odds on next years winners.

B) Make my predictions for what's going to matter in jazz next year and become revered as a pundit of incredible forsight.

I'd just need to make sure I didn't go to the Grammys 2005 in 'real time'. Wouldn't want to meet myself.

First stop: Buddy Bolden and band introducing the 'new music' to folks in New Orleans.

Second stop: Louis Armstrong and Hot Fives at various Columbia recordings.

Third stop: Charlie Christian/Dizzy Gillespie etc jam sessions at Minton's and Monroe's.

Fourth stop: Duke Ellington and band's premier at Carnegie Hall.

Fifth stop: John Coltrane's various takes of Countdown for Giant Steps album.

Final stop: Fast forward 200 years from now to see if all these jazz greats are still remembered and/or listened to or, horrors, that Mr Gorelick has been crowned "Emperor of Jazz"!! :excited:

Would love to get that time machine. Would set it back to 1933 for a visit to the Cherry Bossom Club in Kansas City when Coleman Hawkins was ambushed by young tenor sax players Lester Young, Herschel Evans and Ben Webster.

Legends were born that night...

Excellent choice! I'll be there with you!

Monk & Haynes.

"To my knowledge there is no recording where Monk and Mingus play together, but a classic photograph taken by Robert Parents in 1953 shows Charlie Parker, Monk, Mingus and Roy Haynes in action at the "Open Door" in Greenwich Village, New York. In Gene Santoro's book "Myself When I Am Real - The Life and Music of Charlie Mingus" (Oxford University Press, 2000), which contains a detailed summary of Mingus' music and his turbulent career, there is a note that in the same year Mingus played with Monk on the Steve Allen Show."

ULF ADÃ…KER

Translation: Dave Castle

http://www.touchemusic.se/019-linernotes.html

4003803.gif

Miles, PC, Red, Philly Joe and Trane. That would've been fun to hear. I was alive at that point but just barely.

Also, since we're wishing for things, I wish I could go back and prevent Clifford's car accident.

Or Lee from getting shot...or somehow prevent Rosolino from doing what he did..........etc.....etc....etc........