Tristano Chicago 1951

scooby

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came about a week ago. Excellent playing all around with Willie Dennis a pleasant surprise for me. As others mentioned, sound is very good. A nice selection of repertoire stretched over 2 CDs.

One thing that was distracting me was Lennie's comping for the soloists. To me, it seemed inflexible and not connected to what the soloists were doing (not that it seemed to bother them, however). I'll have to give it another listen.

Mine came about a week ago. Excellent playing all around with Willie Dennis a pleasant surprise for me. As others mentioned, sound is very good. A nice selection of repertoire stretched over 2 CDs.

One thing that was distracting me was Lennie's comping for the soloists. To me, it seemed inflexible and not connected to what the soloists were doing (not that it seemed to bother them, however). I'll have to give it another listen.

I'll go back and check, but that's the way Lennie comps IIRC. A small price to pay if one even feels that way. For me, his comping, a kind of sonic-rhythmic "wall," is part of the total effect. A Tristano who comped like, say, Tommy Flanagan or Wynton Kelly would have been impossible.