What is your typical morning meal?

This morning I got up at the crack of dawn, went to the street market one block from our hotel

and had some black aromatic sticky rice with coconut custard paste and coconut thick milk., water melon and mango.

It was some good I had a second helping.I had to restrain myself from adding a plate of chicken biriani.

Gentlemen. the street food in Bangkok is utterly delicious and ridiculously cheap.My gourmet level brekkies pluscoffee was well under two dollars. Tomorrow I'll have same and the biriani!

Most weekday mornings consist of a bagel when home in NY. I'm fortunate to be near a place that still knows how to make a bagel.

When home out west such as this morning it's usually an English muffin, oatmeal or something like Cheerios. Breakfast is my wife's favorite meal so for her on the weekends I'll do bigger and better.

English Muffin:

englishmuffin.jpgHomemade-English-Muffins-1024x768.jpg

I have a dish of muesli on work days.

At weekends either a crumpet (not comments please), toast, a bagel or a scone with honey, jam or marmalade.

I like a fry-up when on holiday or away at a weekend.

This is a crumpet:

crumpet_large.jpg

The holes make it different from the muffin.

Two big glasses of cold water followed by one of the variations below.

• Oatmeal topped with blueberries, walnuts and cinnamon, banana and Italian roast coffee or green tea
  • Quinoa with same toppings as above, banana, and Italian roast coffee or green tea
  • Cup of lowfat yogurt, handful of almonds, banana and Italian roast coffee or green tea
  • Half a bagel with peanut butter, banana and Italian roast coffee or green tea
  • Bowl of high fiber cereal, banana and Italian roast coffee or green tea

No grits fans in here?

I usually fry a couple of eggs over easy, or throw an omelette together with whatever is on hand while making silver dollar/mickey mouse pancakes for the kids on Saturdays or Sundays.

If we have bacon in the crisper, I'll go all out and dice or shred a couple of potatoes and make hash browns.

Typically though, Earl Grey.

Thanks for the coffee technique Larry. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Lots of great roasters to choose from here in Richmond these days.

Now if only I could find a decent fucking bagel. Nothing for miles, but Einstein Bros. It'll do in a pinch, but it ain't a bagel.

***I'm interested in the recipe Larry.

Take two scoops of (ideally) freshly ground coffee (or however much it takes to brew a good strong cup for you) cover the ground coffee with water in a one cup metal measuring cup or pot and boil the coffee-water mixture on the stove, making sure that it doesn't boil over. Meanwhile, place a fine-enough mesh strainer over your coffee mug and when the coffee-water mixture begins to boil, pour it through the strainer, leaving the grounds in the strainer as the coffee essence drips into the mug. Then pour enough milk to fill the mug through the grounds that are still in the strainer, remove the strainer, dump out the grounds, and put the mug filled with the coffee essence/milk combo in a microwave and heat to taste -- about 1:40 does the trick with good-sized coffee mug for me. The results are like rocket fuel. Of course, all this only makes sense if you like a coffee-milk mixture. A sprinkle of cinnamon in the bottom of the mug before you begin can be nice. If all this sounds complicated, I do it rapidly and often more or less in my sleep.

The idea of boiling coffee, I've been told, is regarded as barbaric by the French, but this method was taught to me by a talented female violinist who spent a good many years in Finland.

Interesting, but maybe this is Nordic coffee, as Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

***I'm interested in the recipe Larry.

Take two scoops of (ideally) freshly ground coffee (or however much it takes to brew a good strong cup for you) cover the ground coffee with water in a one cup metal measuring cup or pot and boil the coffee-water mixture on the stove, making sure that it doesn't boil over. Meanwhile, place a fine-enough mesh strainer over your coffee mug and when the coffee-water mixture begins to boil, pour it through the strainer, leaving the grounds in the strainer as the coffee essence drips into the mug. Then pour enough milk to fill the mug through the grounds that are still in the strainer, remove the strainer, dump out the grounds, and put the mug filled with the coffee essence/milk combo in a microwave and heat to taste -- about 1:40 does the trick with good-sized coffee mug for me. The results are like rocket fuel. Of course, all this only makes sense if you like a coffee-milk mixture. A sprinkle of cinnamon in the bottom of the mug before you begin can be nice. If all this sounds complicated, I do it rapidly and often more or less in my sleep.

The idea of boiling coffee, I've been told, is regarded as barbaric by the French, but this method was taught to me by a talented female violinist who spent a good many years in Finland.

Interesting, but maybe this is Nordic coffee, as Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

Nordic then. :)