Which to see?

Hardbopjazz

i don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, unless jimmy smith starts insulting everyone in the audience. that can get annoying el pronto!

my next three shows will be, the sun ra arkestra, billy bang trio,& andrew hill & friends, none of which are on the same night! :lol:

Edited by mike casinghino

I'd see Jimmy Smith. I've heard reports (on this board, actually) of his ailing health, so who knows how many opportunites you'll have left to see this legend. I know Ray and Lou are both older, but they both seem to be going strong.

Don't ask me, I've got tickets to Wayne Shorter and Sonny Rollins on the same night in April (separate venues, miles apart).

That's a real tough one. I'd go with Sonny. Wayne plays all the time and he'll definitely be around again. Sonny doesn't seem to play much anymore.

I'd go with Wayne over Sonny is a heartbeat - he's in his prime RIGHT NOW.

His touring schedule is at www.imnworld.com (I saw 4 concerts in Paris that were never listed there, however). He is in Atlanta on 4/3/04. I may be at the Miami show in May, if I wind up going to Florida.

Bertrand.

Assuming the Ray & Lou are at Avery Fisher, just be aware that the acoustics are among the worst in the world. If you've never seen Ray Charles live, I'd say that's the priority (though his show is so slick & planned that there's a certain degree of going through the motions). Lou Donaldson is not very good these days, but he always hires good bands.

I saw Jimmy Smith once. He complained about the lighting and insisted on playing in the dark, so for most of the show I heard him but didn't see him. He insulted the tech crew throughout the show and told infantile dirty jokes. No way I'd ever see him again.

Assuming the Ray & Lou are at Avery Fisher, just be aware that the acoustics are among the worst in the world. If you've never seen Ray Charles live, I'd say that's the priority (though his show is so slick & planned that there's a certain degree of going through the motions). Lou Donaldson is not very good these days, but he always hires good bands.

I saw Jimmy Smith once. He complained about the lighting and insisted on playing in the dark, so for most of the show I heard him but didn't see him. He insulted the tech crew throughout the show and told infantile dirty jokes. No way I'd ever see him again.

I've seen Lou 5 times. I never seen Jimmy Smith or Ray Charles. Avery Fisher Hall is where they are at. If the acoustics are as you say, I'll go see Smith. Plus t is a lot less money then Avery Fisher Hall. $27.5 compared to $75 per ticket.

Lou is not like the past? What is it, his age? He always was swinging when I've seen him.