What do you put in your coffee??

GregK

I recommend an extravagant expense to all you coffee lovers: a bit grinder. My gal bought me one a couple of years ago, and I am still in her thrall as a result (joi de vivre, still intact, by the way).

I've said it before in another coffee thread but if you want GREAT coffee you have to roast it yourself. Grinding your own is a good first step. The equipment is $75 +/- the beans are cheap and the taste is amazing.

What about roasting your own? How much does this cost?

(I can't for the love of god imagine myself doing this first thing in the morning!)

--eric

When I lived in Rhode Island (that's row dye-lAnd) they had five feet of shelf space in every stowah dedicated to stuff that was but was not coffee (that's Kwauw-feee). And everybody drank it "regUlah" (that's cream an shugga).

autocrat.jpg:wacko:

Autocrat? Get out!

It rules you digestive tract with an iron fist! Make way!

I recommend an extravagant expense to all you coffee lovers: a bit grinder. My gal bought me one a couple of years ago, and I am still in her thrall as a result (joi de vivre, still intact, by the way).

I've said it before in another coffee thread but if you want GREAT coffee you have to roast it yourself. Grinding your own is a good first step. The equipment is $75 +/- the beans are cheap and the taste is amazing.

(I can't for the love of god imagine myself doing this first thing in the morning!)

--eric

You don't roast in the morning. The beans need several hours to "gas-out", 24 hours after roasting is the perfect cup of coffee.

Its actually less expensive to roast your own than to buy roasted coffee. Can you imagine anything more perfect: Its costs less to have better stuff!

Check out Coffee Is My Drug Of Choice or Direct to the equipment

I only drink Italian coffee, my breakfast most often is just two cups of capuccino, but double strength, with 50% steamed milk, sweetened with rapadura (Brazilian sugar: dried and ground sugarcane juice), I like it strong and very sweet.

In the afternoon it is espresso with the same sweetener.

I dig Café New York, which is available from Blue Mountain beans, or Caffée del Doge, right now it is Mambocino, because my good Italian machine is being repaired.

You can't even begin to call it good coffee until you go to Brazil or Jamaica and go pick the coffee beans yourself. You're doing only half the job. ;):P

Depends. I make espresso at home and usually take it straight. If I decide to cut with water I usually add half-and-half (and definately add it if I'm out somewhere else). I can't understand using anything less than half-and-half in coffee--unless, of course, you simply don't like the taste. That I understand. But from a calorie/fat counting standpoint.....sure, it's fattening but it's not like you're drinking a damned glass of it. Butter's the same way. If you're using margarine or I Can't Believe it's Not Butter then you're bummin', my friend. (Especially if you're putting it in your coffee.)

All said: My rule is.....cut out the sweets, eat a healthy breakfast and pack your own light lunch. That way you can appreciate the better foods and drinks in life the right way.

You can't even begin to call it good coffee until you go to Brazil or Jamaica and go pick the coffee beans yourself. You're doing only half the job. ;):P

If you have to soil your own hands by picking the beans yourself you are not nearly snobby enough to enjoy the subtile nuances of fine coffee. I, on the other hand (pun fully intended), refuse to raise the cup to my own lips. I can only truely enjoy the brew when served by that lady in the BABES thread, you know, the one with the big elbows.

--eric

You don't roast in the morning. The beans need several hours to "gas-out", 24 hours after roasting is the perfect cup of coffee.

Its actually less expensive to roast your own than to buy roasted coffee. Can you imagine anything more perfect: Its costs less to have better stuff!

Upright Bill, Paragon of Caffeinated Righteousness:

You've used this particular machine and give it your blessing?

--eric

--eric

Upright Bill, Paragon of Caffeinated Righteousness:

You've used this particular machine and give it your blessing?

--eric

I use that machine every day. I would recommend that you buy an extra chamber (the glass part) because as soon as you let anyone try your home roast you will be roasting for friends. The extra chamber allows one to cool while you are using the other.

Here's my recipe:

Guatemalan Huehue Tenango

From a cool chamber add green beans to just below the line. Set machine for 5 minutes. Watch the beans do their dance of deliciousness and make them stop if there is any sign of over roasting. When they are done move them to a clean container and let them rest over night.

Next day 13 grams of beans and 7 ounces of cold water are converted into a cup of pure heaven.

Next day 13 grams of beans and 7 ounces of cold water are converted into a cup of pure heaven.

I think Upright Bill is as addicted to coffee as he is to this board. I'll feel bad for him if he ever runs out of coffee on the same day the board goes down! ;)

Seriously, Bill makes a *great* cup of coffee. :tup