(from their website)

Paul Whiteman Carnegie Hall Concert, December 25, 1938

Book-302501.gif

LABEL: Nostalgia Arts

CATALOG NUMBER: 303 3025

GENRE: swing/symphonic big band jazz

BARCODE: 717101302529

Paul Whiteman - bandleader

CD 1:Introduction by Deems Taylor / The Farmer Leaves The Hay / Blue Belle of Harlem / Cowbell Serenade / Quonk / The Seventh Day / The Bell Fugue / St. Louis Blues / Gay Mood, Peasant Song, and Finale, Opus 1

CD 2: Cuban Overture / Nursey Ballet / Talk / Bumpy Weather Over Newark / Suicide Cliff / Mexican Jumping Bean / Trylon and Perisphere / Shadrack / Nobody Knows the Trouble I¹ve Seen / Rhapsody In Blue

As this CD reveals, Paul Whiteman created some of the most exciting experimental symphonic jazz of all time, blending influences of Spanish, Russian, Chinese and Cuban music (to name a few) and the compositions of the Gershwin Brothers, Duke Ellington, plus classical composers like Ravel, Franz Liszt and Rimsky-Korsakov.Paul Whiteman’s music is unique in the history of jazz; its ingredients, styles and influences are too diverse to be summed up in a few words – just enjoy the music!

Whiteman’s lush orchestral style has influenced countless other big bands. Whiteman’s highly skilled musicians were at home playing jazz, tango, waltzes, classical airs and even opera, which is why no other popular band of the day (or today, either, for that matter) could begin to match such a wide-ranging repertoire.

Art Tatum Live, Vol 8: 1955-56

8338.gif

LABEL: Storyville

CATALOG NUMBER: STCD 101 8338

GENRE: swing piano jazz

BARCODE: 717101833825

Art Tatum (p), Everett Barksdale (g), Slam Stewart (b), Bill Pemberton (b)

Would you like to take a walk? / Soft Winds / Flying Home / I cover the waterfront / Soft winds / Tenderly / Tea for two / Wrap your troubles in dreams / Body and Soul / Sweet Lorraine / September Song / My heart stood still / Don't blame me / Willow weep for me / Flying Home / Moon song / Just one of those nights / Flying home / Would you like to take a walk / You go to my head

The 20 tunes (72 min.) on this CD have never been previously released.

The music was recorded live on TV (Steve Allen 's Tonight Show) and in clubs

in New York, Washington D.C. and Chicago, during the year before Tatum died in November, 1956.

Tatum plays in trio format except for 3 solo numbers. The repertoire consists of Art Tatum favorites and popular swing jazz standards.

Art Tatum was the most exceptional and technically brilliant jazz pianist of all time, the benchmark against which all jazz pianists are measured.

The only recorded trio versions by Tatum of "I Cover the Waterfront" and "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams" are to be found on this CD.

Rolf Billberg A Swedish Legend

8369.gif

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8369

GENRE: be-bop jazz

BARCODE: 717101836925

http://www.billberg.dk/index.html

Rolf Billberg (as & ts), Poul Godske (p & vib), Jørn Grauengaard (g), Mogens Landsvig (b), William Schiøpfte (dr), Atli Bjørn (p), Erik Mølbach (b), Jørgen Ryg (tp), Max Bruel (ss), Lars Bagge (p), Kurt Järnberg (valve tb), Lars Gullin (ts), Bent Axen (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b), Finn Fredriksen (dr), Allan Botschinsky (tp), Ole Molin (g), Rune Carlsson (dr)

I can't believe that you're in love with me / Moonlight in Vermont / I'm building up for a nervous breakdown / El Doming / The Lady is a tramp / Bag's Groove / Ole Man River / Yesterdays / Curly Curt / Opus de funk / I'm beginning to see the light / Blue Daniel / Hi Beck / Yesterdays / Tautology

The 75 min. of music on this CD (15 tunes) are comprised of six sessions recorded in studios in Copenhagen during 1956-66 - the last ten years of Rolf Billberg's life.

Accompanying Swedish alto saxophonist Billberg on these sessions are the best of the modern Scandinavian jazz musicians of the time, including Lars Gullin, Jørgen Ryg, Atli Bjørn, William Schiöpffe and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

The repertoire includes a spiritual, jazz standards, be-bop favorites and two of Billberg's own compositions. Some of the music on this CD has never been previously released.

Rolf Billberg was one of the absolute most prominent Scandinavian jazz musicians of the 50's and 60's. Billberg was a unique individualist, contrasting burning lyricism with cool distance in his style of playing - a style influenced mainly by Charlie Parker and Lee Konitz. All the tunes on this CD - from "Ol' Man River" to "Opus De Funk" - present brilliant work by Billberg. Rolf Billberg characterized Scandinavian modern jazz in the sixties. Listen to this CD and enjoy Scandinavian modern jazz at its best!

Also for Ellington nuts:

DUKE ELLINGTON: Day by Day, Film by Film

Dr. Klaus Stratemann

is still at half the price (EUR 50  or USD 60) at Storyville´s website.

Go and get it while you can! 

(I received it a few days ago)  ;)

Offer still available!

So is it $60, or $30?

Ghost, it is $60 NOW. It was $119 originally. Believe me, it's worth every cent!

When you get it, you'll find out how good a value it is ;)

Brownie, I want it very much, but they want $45 to ship to the U.S.--I'm probably going to have to pass. :( I've seen the book before, and it is indeed beautiful.

Brownie, I want it very much, but they want $45 to ship to the U.S.--I'm probably going to have to pass. :( I've seen the book before, and it is indeed beautiful.

That's rough! It's true the book is pretty heavy!

Don't remember what the postage was on my copy but it was nothing like that! Well, France is closer to Denmark ;)

Brownie, I want it very much, but they want $45 to ship to the U.S.--I'm probably going to have to pass.  :(  I've seen the book before, and it is indeed beautiful.

That's rough! It's true the book is pretty heavy!

Don't remember what the postage was on my copy but it was nothing like that! Well, France is closer to Denmark ;)

Perhaps another reason to move to France!

Anybody know when the next volume in the Ellington Treasury shows series is scheduled for release? I've been picking up some of the first 10 here & there--am going to devote one big-band show a month to them from April through August.

Anybody know when the next volume in the Ellington Treasury shows series is scheduled for release? I've been picking up some of the first 10 here & there--am going to devote one big-band show a month to them from April through August.

I've got all of them throurh Vol 10 and was very happy with them until Vol 10. The sound on it is horribly compressed. Also the notes identify the last song on cd one as A Train when in fact it's Things Ain't What they Used to Be.

Maybe the death of the founder has led to shoddy work on the part of Storyville.

Ben Webster At Ronnie Scott, 1964 - The Punch

webster.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8373

GENRE: swing & bebop jazz

BARCODE: 717101837328

Ben Webster - tenor sax, Stan Tracy - piano, Rick Laird - bass, Jackie Dougan - drums

Is this the same Rick Laird who later played in the Mahavishnu Orchestra?

Yes Sir!

He was in the house band there for several years. You'll find him on many of those Ronnie Scott recordings.

Here is a quote:

In 1964, [saxophonist] Ronnie Scott offered me the job as house bassist at the club. So I became a part of the house rhythm section and got to play with all the jazz greats; I remained there for two years."

For Laird, his tenure at the club was a tremendous learning experience; he played for one month with each of a succession of horn players such as Ben Webster, Art Farmer, Sonny Rollins, Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Stitt, and Rahsaan Roland Kirk. He also accompanied the late jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery.

Here he is with Ronnie Scott and Ben Webster:

What happened to him?

Anybody know when the next volume in the Ellington Treasury shows series is scheduled for release?  I've been picking up some of the first 10 here & there--am going to devote one big-band show a month to them from April through August.

I've got all of them throurh Vol 10 and was very happy with them until Vol 10. The sound on it is horribly compressed. Also the notes identify the last song on cd one as A Train when in fact it's Things Ain't What they Used to Be.

Maybe the death of the founder has led to shoddy work on the part of Storyville.

I have volumes 1, 2, and 10, and 3 & 4 are on their way... you're right about V. 10's sound. Hopefully V. 11--if it ever comes out--will not suffer from the same problems. Aren't there 24 double-CDs planned in all? I'm thinking about featuring some once a month on The Big Bands this year--doing a show of April 1945 broadcasts in April, a show of May 1945 broadcasts in May, etc.--right up through the 60th anniversary of V-J Day. (After which the name of "War Bonds" was changed to "Victory Bonds.")

• 1 month later...

Anybody know when the next volume in the Ellington Treasury shows series is scheduled for release?  I've been picking up some of the first 10 here & there--am going to devote one big-band show a month to them from April through August.

Volume 11 is here. ;):excited::):excited:

Together with a Louis Armstrong live CD, the first of four volumes.

More information at the Storyville site.

D.E.T.S Vol.11

Louis Armstrong

(April 12 release in the U.S? according to Jazzmatazz)

Volume 11 is here. ;):excited::):excited:

D.E.T.S Vol.11

Louis Armstrong

Great, great news, LAL--thanks for posting! I'm going to be featuring these once a month on my WFIU program The Big Bands, starting in April. (April 1945 broadcasts for the April show, May 1945 broadcasts for the May show, etc.) Hope the sound improves over V. 10...

Volume 11 is here.  ;)  :excited:  :)  :excited:

D.E.T.S Vol.11

Louis Armstrong

And besides the DETS vol.11 and the Armstrong live, there´s another February release:

Jesper Thilo & The American Stars Vol. 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Artie Shaw - Spotlight Band (Storyville) Apr 6

— five radio broadcasts from shows performed for the U.S. Armed Forces at California military bases in 1945

:tup:tup:tup

Wow! I missed that one--will put it on the to-get list. Assuming that would be the same band represented on the Hep 3-CD 1944-45 set... exciting news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hope this is for good: :mellow:

Press Release

EDITION WILHELM HANSEN ACQUIRES STORYVILLE RECORDS

Storyville Records, one of the world’s great jazz labels, has been acquired by Edition Wilhelm Hansen, part of The Music Sales Group.

Storyville began life over 50 years ago when legendary Danish jazz enthusiast Karl Emil Knudsen began releasing rare or exceptional recordings by jazz greats such as Louis Armstrong and The Red Onion Jazz Babies. Many of these tracks were initially licensed from the UK label Tempo which had a similar vision of making great jazz recordings more widely available.

Later Knudsen would expand Storyville’s catalogue by recording many American jazz performers when they were on tour in Europe and Scandinavia — Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Clark Terry, Benny Carter, Roland Hanna to name a few.

Danish jazz stars such as Papa Bue & His Viking Jazz Band and Fessors Big City Band were later added to the Storyville roster.

Storyville Records — named after the notorious New Orleans neighbourhood where jazz was born — remained a vibrant force into the 1990s, venturing into modern jazz, re-releasing over 300 revival tracks by among others Chris Barber and gaining exclusive rights to release many of Duke Ellington’s previously unreleased recordings.

By September 2003 when Karl Emil Knudsen, the self-styled “Doctor of Jazz Archaeology”, passed away, his Storyville label was considered by jazz fans to be a prestigious Scandinavian equivalent to America’s Blue Note Records.

Now the acquisition of Storyville by Wilhelm Hansen means that, with the support of The Music Sales Group, it will be possible to digitize the entire catalogue and make it widely available on CDs to be sold online.

Music Sales Chairman and Managing Director Robert Wise says “I am sure Karl Emil Knudsen would have been delighted to know that his precious Storyville catalogue will now become available to an even wider audience and, I hope, to a whole new generation of jazz aficionados”.

Edition Wilhelm Hansen

Tine Birger Christensen 

Though I started a specific thread, I´ll post this here as well:

According to the last DEMS Bulletin, Storyville keeps on preparing the release of this double CD on which (among other material) all the available Cotton Club broadcasts from 1938 will be issued. Liner notes will be written by Andrew Homzy.

Carl Hällström has supplied with the details:

CD 1

From a CBS broadcast "Saturday Night Swing Club" 8May37

1. Swing Session

2. Medley: Solitude/In a Sentimental Mood

previously released on LP Fanfare Records 17-117

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 24Mar38

3. Harmony in Harlem

4. If You Were in My Place

5. Mood Indigo

6. Theme: East St. Louis Toodle-O

7. Theme: East St. Louis Toodle-O

8. Oh Babe, Maybe Someday

9. Dinah

10. If Dreams Come True

11. Scrontch

3/8 previously on Bear Family 16340 (DEMS 04/1-22)

9 previously on Archives of Jazz 3801122 or 3891122

10 previously on Archives of Jazz 3801132 or 3891132

11 FIRST TIME RELEASE!

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 17Apr38

12. You Went to My Head

13. Three Blind Mice

14. Solitude

15. Downtown Uproar

12 & 15 previously on Archives of Jazz 3801122 or 3891122

13 previously on Archives of Jazz 3801132 or 3891132

14 FIRST TIME RELEASE!

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 24Apr38

16. Dinah's in a Jam

17. On the Sunny Side of the Street

18. Demi-Tasse

19. Azure

20. Carnival in Caroline

16/17 previously on Archives of Jazz 3801132 or 3891132

16 & 18/20 previously on Recording Arts 5-304-2 (CD 3)

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 1May38

21. Harmony in Harlem

22. At Your Beck and Call

23. Solitude

24. The Gal From Joe's

25. Riding on a Blue Note

26. If Dreams Come True

Previously on Bear Family 16340 (DEMS 04/1-22)

CD 2

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 8May38

1. Oh Babe, Maybe Someday

2. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart

Previously on LP Max 1002

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 15May38

3. Birmingham Breakdown

4. Rose Room

5. If Dreams Come True

6. It's the Dreamer in Me

7. Lost in Meditation

8. Every Day

9. Echoes of Harlem

Previously on Bear Family 16340 (DEMS 04/1-22)

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 22May38

10. Theme: East St. Louis Toodle-O

11. Jig Walk

12. In a Sentimental Mood

13. I'm Slapping 7th. Avenue

14. Lost in Meditation

15. Alabamy Home

16. If You Were in My Place

Previously on LP Max 1002

Broadcast from the Cotton Club 29May38

17. Prelude in C Sharp Minor

18. Rockin' in Rhythm