Storyville Records

EKE BBB

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

Should any member need help with these Storyville records, i am in contact with them as late as last Monday, here in Danmark.

As I have the honor to be on two of the CDs "Duke" Elingtons The Jaywalker,

and Thad Jones Eclipes.

You may contact me should anyone have difficuty finding them, and I will contact

Storyville direct.

The notes on Ellingtons JayWalker CD are quoted from the interview they had with me.

Musically,

Juan Amalbert

A K A

Emmanuel Rahim,

Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim

• 1 month later...

July releases

(from their website)

Svend Asmussen & Stephane Grappelli Two Of A Kind

8383.jpg

Svend Asmussen, Stephane Grappelli (v), Jørn Grauengaard, Ole Molin (g), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Erik Schmidt ( b ), William Schiøpffe, Bjarne Andersen (dr)

Honeysuckle Rose / Blue Lady / So Sorry / Twins / Satin Doll / Love Is Back / Someone To Watch Over Me / Parisian Thoroughfare / Honeysuckle Rose / Someone To Watch Over Me / Satin Doll / Crazy Rhythm

This 57-minute CD (12 tunes) includes four numbers that have never previously been released. The recording (originally released on Metronome and later on a Storyville CD) was made in the recording studio in Copenhagen in 1965. The four extra tunes are from a radio broadcast the same year, with a different rhythm group. Besides Svend Asmussen, both sessions also feature another major jazz violinist, Stephane Grappelli, who first played with Asmussen in 1938. The musical material consists of popular swing standards by Duke Ellington, Fats Waller and George Gershwin, among others, plus one be-bop tune by Bud Powell.

Svend Asmussen plays here with all the elegance, charm and perfection that have been the trademark of his music for many, many years. Two of the top jazz violin-pros in the business, Grappelli and Asmussen obviously enjoy each other’s playing and respect each other as musicians.

The music swings like mad, not least of all thanks to a fantastic Danish rhythm section, led by bassist Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and drummer William Schiøpffe. Listening to this CD is guaranteed to put you in a good mood!

LABEL: Storyville Records

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8383

GENRE: swing jazz

BARCODE: 717101838325

Archie Shepp & The New York Contemporary Five 24 BIT remastered from the originale tape

BOOK_8385.jpg

Don Cherry, cornet, John Tchicai, alto sax, Archie Shepp, tenor sax, Don Moore, bass, J. C. Moses, drums

CONSEQUENCES / MONK’S MOOD / EMOTIONS / WO WO / TRIO / CREPESCULE WITH NELLIE / O. C. / WHEN WILL THE BLUES LEAVE / THE FUNERAL / MICK

We are happy to present this CD with a new artwork and a 24-bit remastering from the original mastertapes. This CD replaces the earlier version of Archie Shepp & The New York Contemporary Five - STCD 8209.

The ten tunes (71 min.) on this CD were recorded live at the famous Montmartre jazz club in Copenhagen in 1963. This is one of the best and most important avante garde jazz albums ever made, its importance enhanced by the fact that the quintet was formed specifically to come and play in Copenhagen and was disbanded when the musicians returned to New York. The most “advanced” number is a 15 minute-long tune called “The Trio” which uses both modal scales and changing meters. The band is led by three of the absolute best of the avante garde musicians at the time: Don Cherry on cornet, Archie Shepp on tenor sax and John Tchicai on alto sax. The music is heavily inspired by alto player Ornette Coleman and pianist Cecil Taylor, and features three Ornette Coleman compositions and two by Thelonious Monk. The brilliant, high-energy performance of the musicians on this CD is an example of improvisational, modern jazz at its absolute best.

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8385

GENRE: avant-garde jazz

BARCODE: 717101838523

The Blues Of Henry Gray & Cousin Joe

Book.jpg

Henry Gray – solo piano and vocals - Cousin Joe – solo piano and vocals

Blues Dance / Cold Chills / Come On Woman / Bright Lights, Big City / Ain’t No Use / Shake A Hand / Boogie Woogie / Blueberry Hill / I’m In Love Again / Don’t Know My Name / Everything That’s Made Of Wood Once Was A Tree / Come Down People / Married Life / Life Is A One Way Ticket / Beggin’ Woman / Hard Work / I Wouldn’ Give A Blind Sow An Acorn/ Prodigal Son

This CD consists of two separate live solo performances, recorded in New Orleans in 1984, with Louisiana pianist/composer/singers Cousin Joe and Henry Gray. Both were born around New Orleans, learned to play their instruments at a very early age, left town for many years (Joe to New York, Henry to Chicago) and wound up living and playing in Louisiana. On this CD both musicians display a hard-driving, rhythmic piano style, and their vocals contain some pretty funny lyrics. Five of the nine tunes by Henry Gray are original compositions, plus tunes by Fats Domino and Jimmy Reed (with whom he played in Chicago). The session with Cousin Joe includes some of his best-known compositions, like "Beggin’ Woman" and "Ain’t So Such A Much" which feature very clever, ironic lyrics. Henry Gray plays a wonderful, tough, two-fisted Chicago-style piano, blended with New Orleans r & b exuberance. Listening to the music of these two men, there’s no doubt you’re hearing honest, authentic, down-home blues from two cats who have really been around and seen a lot.

LABEL: Storyville

CATALOG NUMBER: STCD 8053

GENRE: blues

BARCODE: 717101805327

Edited by EKE BBB

• 1 month later...

August releases

(from their website)

Mildred Bailey Radio Shows, 1945

Book-3030.jpg

LABEL: Nostalgia Arts

CATALOG NUMBER: 301 3030

GENRE: vocal swing/trad jazz

BARCODE: 717101303021

Mildred Bailey – vocal, Billy Butterfield, Roy Eldridge, Chris Griffin, Yank Lawson, Jimmy Maxwell, Charlie Shavers – trumpet, Will Bradley, Ward Silloway, Tommy Dorsey, Trummy Young - trombone, Hank D´Amico, Ernie Caceres, Nick Ciazza, Paul Ricci – reeds, Teddy Wilson, Earl Hines – piano, Remo Palmieri – guitar, Albert Hall - string bass, Red Norvo – vibraphone, Specs Powell, Cozy Cole – drums, Paul Baron - arranger & conductor

Hold On / It Had To Be You / Summertime / Sleighride In July / The Sheik Of Araby / Swing Low, Sweet Chariot / Enchantment / I´m Getting Sentimental Over You / Smoke Gets In Your Eyes / Which Of The Great 48 / Hold On / Hold On / I´m Beginning To See The Light / Trummin´ On A Riff / I Didn´t Know Enough About You / Bugle Call Rag / He´s Funny That Way / Night Music / Rosetta / St. Louis Blues / I´m Gonna See My Baby / Hold On / Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child / At Home With A Gnome / Stompin´ At The Savoy / Evalina / Hold On

The 27 tunes on this CD are comprised from three broadcasts in January, 1945, in New York City at the CBS radio studios. The music on this 72-minute CD are previously unreleased. Mildred Bailey performs with the Paul Baron Orchestra, including trumpeters Charlie Shavers & Roy Eldridge, pianist Teddy Wilson, vibraphonist Red Norvo and drummer Specs Powell. The repertoire performed by Mildred Bailey includes several Ellington numbers, pop tunes, traditional & swing jazz standards, and even gospel and ragtime. Mildred Bailey has a great voice and was in her prime at the time of these recordings in 1945 – she has a bright, sunny vocal timbre, a shimmery vibrato and a musician’s ear for rhythmic variation and phrasing.

Besides the excellent soloists in Paul Baron’s orchestra, there are also great guest appearances by Tommy Dorsey, Earl Hines and drummer Cozy Cole. Mildred Bailey was a contemporary of Billie Holiday but never received the same degree of fame, in spite of her great talent – this CD should help give Mildred Bailey the recognition she deserves. Mildred Bailey’s voice radiates swing, good cheer and warmth.

Willie "The Lion" Smith Live Zürich, Switzerland

Book1Willie.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 103 8360

GENRE: swing/stride piano

BARCODE: 717101836024

Willie "The Lion" Smith – piano

Ernest "Bass" Hill - bass

Wallace Bishop - drums

CD 1: I’ve Found A New Baby / Echoes Of Spring / Falling Stars / Polonæse / Swinging With Bishop / I Got Rhythm / Fats Waller Medley - Keepin’ Out Of Mischief Now - I’ve Got A Feeling I’m Falling - There’s A Gal In My Life - Ain’t Misbehavin’ / Nagasaki / St. Louis Blues / Honeysuckle Rose

CD 2:12th Street Rag / Royal Garden Blues / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate / Baby Won’t You Please Come Home / Ol’ Man River / Basin Street Blues / Morning Air / Tea For Two / Sweet Georgia Brown

The music on this double-CD (19 tunes, 1hour 45 min.) has never been previously released; it was recorded live in Zurich, Switzerland in 1949. Although normally a solo performer, Willie "The Lion" Smith performs here in a trio setting. The repertoire includes original compositions, Fats Waller and Clarence Williams tunes, Gershwin, blues and traditional jazz classics, spirituals, and even Chopin’s "Polonaise". Smith employs a unique blend of ragtime, impressionism and counterpoint, while combining subtle, melodic lines with intense swing.

Here is "live" proof that Willie "The Lion" Smith was one of the most original, humorous and unpredictable jazz pianists of the 20th Century, as well as possibly the best "stride" pianist ever. Smith and the trio are in an instant groove from the very first tune of this 105 minute-long concert, and they never stop swinging. Smith never uses clichés - even very well-known tunes sound fresh and new. This CD is a must for all Willie "The Lion" Smith fans; Smith, himself, says of the music: "This was a very good concert. We played for each other and together and were perfectly relaxed".

The blues of Snooks Eaglin & Boogie Bill Webb

Book-80541.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: STCD 8054

GENRE: blues

BARCODE: 717101805426

Snooks Eaglin – guitar & vocals

Boogie Bill Webb – guitar & vocals

Harmonica Slim – harmonica & vocals

Intro / Mustang Sally / Let The Four Winds Blow / Guess Who? / Drop The Bomb / Money / St. Pete Florida Blues / San-Ho-Zay / Country Boy Down In New Orleans / Hideaway / Johnny B. Goode / Talk To Your Daughter / You Got A Right / You Better Watch, You Might Get Killed / Kansas City / Early In The Morning

This 52-minute CD consists of 12 tunes by Snooks Eaglin and 4 tunes by Boogie Bill Webb, all recorded live in New Orleans in the mid-80’s. This music has never been previously released on CD. These are two authentic bluesmen – each with his own personal, unique style. Both Snooks Eaglin & Boogie Bill Webb grew up in New Orleans. Snooks Eaglin is a master musician and unique guitar genius. His style is intensely rhythmic as well as loose and casual - at the same time. Boogie Bill Webb has a refreshingly rough "downhome" style that sets him apart from mainstream New Orleans rhythm & blues. Besides original compositions, Eaglin also performs tunes by Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Freddy King and Chuck Berry; Webb performs originals and a tune by Little Walter. This is the real blues performed by two exciting and unique bluesmen, each with a very distinctive and different style; the CD is particularly important because of the very few recordings available with Boogie Bill Webb.

Edited by EKE BBB

• 1 month later...

These just came in--I'm listening to the 1st of 24 Wilson tracks. Sounds good, so far.

Chris,

could you elaborate a bit on the Teddy Wilson disc? It's high up there on my shopping list, but I've got to make some radical decisions these next months in regard to what I buy and what I push ahead for a while. I have quite a bit of Wilson and am always looking for quality recordings. I would assume the music is at least good, but how's the sound?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

October releases

(from their website)

Billie Holiday The Sensitive Billie Holiday 1940-1949

Book-8398-copy.jpg

Label: Storyville Records

Catalog number: 101 8398

Genre: Jazz

Barcode: 717101839827

Billie Holiday and her orchestra, and with Benny Carter and his All Star Orchestra / Eddie Heywood and his orchestra / Teddy Wilson and his orchestra / The All Star Jam Band / The Apollo House Band / Archie Blyer / Red Norvo and his orchestra / Percy Faith Orchestra

I’m All For You / I Hear Music / It’s The Same Old Story / Practice Makes Perfect / St. Louis Blues / Loveless Love / Let’s Do It / All Of Me / I’m In A Low Down Groove / l Cover The Waterfront / lt’s A Sin To Tell A Lie / Until The Real Thing Comes Along / Do Nothing’Till You Hear From Me / I’ll Get By / Billie’s Blues / All Of Me / The Man l Love / Miss Brown To You / Lover Man / I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone / l Love My Man / You Ain’t Gonna Bother Me No More / Good Morning Heartache / You’re Driving Me Crazy / Maybe You’ll Be There / You Better Go Now.

The 26 tunes with Billle Holiday on this 77 min, CD span the years 19401949. There are eleven different sessions on the CD both live and studio ranging from a duo number with piano to octets and full orchestra. lncluded on the CD are Billie Holiday’s last official recordings with tenor saxophonist Lester Young and pianist Teddy Wilson. The repertoire consists mostly of Billie Holiday ballad and blues standards.

Accompanying Billie Holiday on this CD are many other masters af jazz, including Roy Eldridge, Red Norvo, Don Byas, Benny Carter, Barney Bigard, Coleman Hawkins, Jimmy Hamilton, Hot Lips Page and Art Tatum. 9 Fantastic live sessions include the Esquire AllAmerican Poll Winners Concert from 1944, an Apollo Theater concert from 1945, and eight tunes from the Just Jazz Concert in Los Angeles with the Red Norvo Septet in 1949. Billie Holiday sings wonderfully throughout: check out her blues renditions of “St. Louis Blues” and “Loveless Love”.

Stuff Smith Hot Stuff

stuff.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8396

GENRE: swing/modern jazz

BARCODE: 717101839629

Stuff Smith, Svend Asmussen - violin & vocal

Kenny Drew, Jørgen Borch - piano

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Erik Mølbæk - bass

Alex Riel, Bjarne Rostvold - drums

Skip It / The Girl From Ipanema / Tenderly / Take The A Train / Bugle Blues / I Can't Get Started / Mack The Knife / Blues For Timme / Old Stinkin' Blues / The C-Jam Blues / Caravan / Timme's Blues / Oh, Lady Be Good!

This CD was recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark, and consists of a live concert in Jazzhus Montmartre in 1965 and a radio studio session (with violinist Svend Asmussen) in 1966.

The repertoire on the CD (74 min./13 tunes) consists of some standards (George & Ira Gershwin, Kurt Weil, Duke Ellington) and five Stuff Smith originals. The two rhythm groups are comprised of top Danish jazz musicians, plus the American piano star, Kenny Drew. The relatively long playing-time of the tracks allows Stuff Smith, Svend Asmussen and Kenny Drew to do some extended soloing.

Many jazz fans will agree that Stuff Smith is the best jazz violinist of all time, and this CD presents him at his very best.

The overwhelming energy, creativity, drive and humor in his performance is further enhanced by an unmatched musical virtuosity.

Don Ewell Denver Concert w. Barbara Dane

Ewell.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8379

GENRE: stride piano jazz

BARCODE: 717101837922

Don Ewell - piano, Charles Burrell - bass, Barbara Dane - vocals, guitar

Jelly Roll Morton Medley: I Thought I heard Buddy Bolden Say - Winin' Boy - Swet Substitute / The Pearls / Kansas City Stomp / Oh, Papa / Cake Walkin' Babies From Home / Earl Hines Medley: - Blues In Thirds - A Monday Date - Rosetta / See, See Rider / I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None Of My Jelly Roll / Fats Waller Medley: - Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now - Ain't Misbehavin' - Handful Of Keys / Good Morning Blues / Wild Women Don't Have No Blues / Nobody Knows You When You Are Down And Out / San Fransisco Bay Blues / Trouble In Mind / Careless Love

The 15 tunes (69 min.) on this CD were recorded live in concert in Denver, Colorado, in 1966. Six of the numbers have never been previously released; the rest were originally released on LP on the Pumpkin record label. Don Ewell plays stride piano, strongly influenced by Jelly Roll Morton and Fats Waller. The repertoire on the CD is based on compositions by the great stride pianists Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller and Earl Hines.

Don Ewell did not do much recording and therefore, as prominent jazz journalist Alun Morgan says: "We are fortunate to have this (CD) representing Don Ewell at his best." Ewell, himself, was very pleased that night in Denver, Colorado; everything was right:the atmosphere, the piano, the recording and, not least of all - the band and the music.

Besides being a great stride piano player, Ewell could definitely play the blues - just listen to his version of "See See Rider" on this CD.

A September 2002 release, STCD 8356 Dexter Gordon Jazz at Highschool. which was withdrawn a few months later is now AVAILABLE AGAIN! Storyville just received the go-ahead to put it back in the catalog. 

Here, from the original press release, are the details: 

Dexter Gordon Jazz At Magleås High School

Dexter Gordon – tenor saxophone; Kenny Drew – piano; Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen – bass; Al Heath – drums.

Soy Califa
The Shadow of Your Smile
Society Red
For All We Know
Blues Up & Down

This CD was recorded live in Sweden by the Danish National Radio at a high school jazz clinic for music students in 1967. The 50 minutes of music (five tunes) are being released here for the first time, and the sound quality (recorded by the National Danish Radio) is very good. The repertoire consists of three high-powered be-bop tunes – two of which Dexter recorded on BlueNote Records in the early 60’s - plus two tender ballads. As this live concert from 1967 clearly reveals, the ten years during which Dexter lived in Copenhagen (from the mid-60’s to the mid-70’s) probably comprise the strongest period in his career, where his technique, power and maturity reached their peak. The rhythm group Dexter chose for this session – one of the best in Europe, and possibly the world – was his favorite rhythm section at that time (when he performed regularly at the famous Jazzhus Montmartre), three men, led by the famous pianist Kenny Drew, who could match Dexter’s musical prowess and help boost him to the impressive artistic plateau heard on this recording.

Archie Shepp & The New York Contemporary Five 24 BIT remastered from the originale tape

BOOK_8385.jpg

Don Cherry, cornet, John Tchicai, alto sax, Archie Shepp, tenor sax, Don Moore, bass, J. C. Moses, drums

CONSEQUENCES / MONK’S MOOD / EMOTIONS / WO WO / TRIO / CREPESCULE WITH NELLIE / O. C. / WHEN WILL THE BLUES LEAVE / THE FUNERAL / MICK

We are happy to present this CD with a new artwork and a 24-bit remastering from the original mastertapes. This CD replaces the earlier version of Archie Shepp & The New York Contemporary Five - STCD 8209.

The ten tunes (71 min.) on this CD were recorded live at the famous Montmartre jazz club in Copenhagen in 1963. This is one of the best and most important avante garde jazz albums ever made, its importance enhanced by the fact that the quintet was formed specifically to come and play in Copenhagen and was disbanded when the musicians returned to New York. The most “advanced” number is a 15 minute-long tune called “The Trio” which uses both modal scales and changing meters. The band is led by three of the absolute best of the avante garde musicians at the time: Don Cherry on cornet, Archie Shepp on tenor sax and John Tchicai on alto sax. The music is heavily inspired by alto player Ornette Coleman and pianist Cecil Taylor, and features three Ornette Coleman compositions and two by Thelonious Monk. The brilliant, high-energy performance of the musicians on this CD is an example of improvisational, modern jazz at its absolute best.

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8385

GENRE: avant-garde jazz

BARCODE: 717101838523

Received this one in the mail just yesterday. What a great show, with Cherry in especially fine form. The biggest surprise for me, however, was/is Don Moore and J.C. Moses — they're swinging hard on this set. A big :tup , and another opportunity to hear Tchicai from the 60's.

• 2 weeks later...

November releases

(from their website)

Teddy Wilson Trio Revisits the Goodman Years

Wilson.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8364

GENRE: swing jazz

Teddy Wilson - piano, Jesper Lundgaard - bass, Ed Thigpen - drums

S'Wonderful / Someday Sweetheart / The Sheik Of Araby / More Than You Know / Nobody's Sweetheart / Rose Room / China Boy / Sweet Sue / Moonglow / Exactly Like You / Sweet Lorraine / Whispering / How High The Moon / Keeping Out Of Mischief Now / Don't Be That Way / Somebody Loves Me / St Louis Blues / I'll Remember April

This CD (18 tunes; 69 minutes) is a studio recording made in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1980. The CD presents Teddy Wilson at his best, playing tunes he made immortal in the thirties as pianist with clarinetist Benny Goodman. Teddy Wilson is accompanied by Jesper Lundgaard, a Dane who is one of Europe's top bassists, and the famous drummer Ed Thigpen, who also lives in Denmark. On this CD Wilson displays all the delicacy, elegance, taste, finesse and impeccible rhythm sense that has made him one of the best pianists in jazz

Ben Webster At Ronnie Scott, 1964 - The Punch

webster.jpg

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8373

GENRE: swing & bebop jazz

BARCODE: 717101837328

Ben Webster - tenor sax, Stan Tracy - piano, Rick Laird - bass, Jackie Dougan - drums

Introduction by Ronnie Scott / Blues In B Flat / Stardust / Gone With The Wind / Our Love Is Here To Stay / The Theme / Confirmation / My Romance / Poutin' / A Night In Tunisia / Over The Rainbow / How High The Moon / Cottontail

The music on this CD is being release here for the first time. These 12 tunes (76 minutes), recorded in London over 4 nights at Ronnie Scott's club in 1964, are Ben Webster's first recordings in Europe. Webster is accompanied by three top British jazz musicians: Stan Tracy on piano, Rick Laird on bass and Jackie Dougan on drums. The repertoire consists of both of Ben Webster standards, like "Cottontail", and three bebop tunes: Miles Davis' "The Theme", Dizzy Gillespie's "Night in Tunisia" and Charlie Parker's "Confirmation".

Webster displays deep romanticism - not sentimentality - in his poetic ballads. All in all, this CD is a joy to hear.

Edited by EKE BBB

• 3 weeks later...

Carl Hällström, who located some of the original acetates, including 24Mar and 17Apr, wrote this in the last issue of DEMS Bulletin:

The remastering of a Jazz Unlimited/Storyville vintage Ellington release is in the making. It´s a double-set with all the surviving 1938 Cotton Club airchecks and bonus tracks including (the previously unissued) Skrontch (24Mar38) and Solitude (17Apr38).

I will be getting this for sure! :excited:

(also posted this as a separate thread)

• 3 weeks later...

Also for Ellington nuts:

DUKE ELLINGTON: Day by Day, Film by Film

Dr. Klaus Stratemann

is still at half the price (EUR 50  or USD 60) at Storyville´s website.

Go and get it while you can! 

(I received it a few days ago)  ;)

Offer still available!

So is it $60, or $30?

Ghost, it is $60 NOW. It was $119 originally. Believe me, it's worth every cent!

When you get it, you'll find out how good a value it is ;)