Storyville Records

EKE BBB

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope that this means that Storyville will carry on even though its founder has died.

At Storyville it's business as usual--at least as close to usual as it could be without Karl Knudsen. Fortunately, Mona Tanager, Karl's right-hand woman of many years, is running things. She knows the company inside out and I feel comforted by the fact that she is hanging in there (she had talked of retiring a few years back).

Eventually, of course, the company will be sold. I fear the worst when that happens and Karl's spirit evaporates.

As some of you know, my association with Storyville goes back over fifty years, to the time I used my early B&O tape recorder to make the label's first recordings (Ken Colyer's band). For that reason, and because of the close friendship I maintained with Karl through all those years, I almost feel as if I were losing a part of my life--but not yet. Let's hope Storyville is taken over by someone who cares, not a corporation.

Here's a little memento from a few days after you recorded "Wild Cat Blues" in the toilet with Monty Sunshine. Was "Bill Bailey" rejected because of toilette noise?

Thanks for that program, SP. I don't recall seeing it before--is it from a concert?

I did not record the band doing Bill Bailey. Here's what I did record:

Ken Colyer's Jazz Men

Colyer, cornet; Chris Barber, trombone; Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Jim Bray, bass; Ron Bowden, drums. - Lorry's Guldaldersal, 7-9-13 Klub, Copenhagen. April 11, 1953.

• Tiger Rag (113)

This was a live recording made when we introduced the band to Storyville Club's members. Issuing it was an afterthought. I had it on a separate reel and had forgotten about it until I came across it--by that time, I had moved to Iceland.

Monty Sunshine Trio

Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Lonnie Donegan, banjo; Chris Barber, bass; - Home of Grosserer Henriksen, Copenhagen (Gentofte, I think) - April 12, 1953.

• St. Phillips St. Breakdown (114)
    Wildcat Blues (115)

Ken Colyer's Jazz Men

Colyer, cornet and vocal*; Chris Barber, trombone; Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Lonnie Donegan, banjo. Jim Bray, tuba and bass; Ron Bowden, drums. - Gentofte Hotel, Copenhagen. April 19, 1953.

• I Can't Escape (116a)
    Isle of Capri (116)
    Shine (117)
    Sheik of Araby (118)
    A Closer Walk with Thee (119)
    Wabash Blues (120)
    Bucket Got a Hole in It* (121)
    If I Ever Cease To Love (122)
    Bluebells Goodbye (123)
    We Sure Do Need Him Now (124)
    Gentofte Blues (125)

Colyer does not play on Gentofte Blues/

We did this in the hotel's ballroom. The band played from a small elevated bandstand and I placed the microphone quite some distance in front of them. So that Ken would be able to reach the height of the microphone, we placed several chairs from the bandstand to it. Ken very carefully negotiated those chairs to tell us about his damaged bucket. :)

Thanks for that program, SP. I don't recall seeing it before--is it from a concert?

I did not record the band doing Bill Bailey. Here's what I did record:

Ken Colyer's Jazz Men

Colyer, cornet; Chris Barber, trombone; Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Jim Bray, bass; Ron Bowden, drums. - Lorry's Guldaldersal, 7-9-13 Klub, Copenhagen. April 11, 1953.

• Tiger Rag (113)

This was a live recording made when we introduced the band to Storyville Club's members. Issuing it was an afterthought. I had it on a separate reel and had forgotten about it until I came across it--by that time, I had moved to Iceland.

Monty Sunshine Trio

Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Lonnie Donegan, banjo; Chris Barber, bass; - Home of Grosserer Henriksen, Copenhagen (Gentofte, I think) - April 12, 1953.

• St. Phillips St. Breakdown (114)
    Wildcat Blues (115)

Ken Colyer's Jazz Men

Colyer, cornet and vocal*; Chris Barber, trombone; Monty Sunshine, clarinet; Lonnie Donegan, banjo. Jim Bray, tuba and bass; Ron Bowden, drums. - Gentofte Hotel, Copenhagen. April 19, 1953.

• I Can't Escape (116a)
    Isle of Capri (116)
    Shine (117)
    Sheik of Araby (118)
    A Closer Walk with Thee (119)
    Wabash Blues (120)
    Bucket Got a Hole in It* (121)
    If I Ever Cease To Love (122)
    Bluebells Goodbye (123)
    We Sure Do Need Him Now (124)
    Gentofte Blues (125)

Colyer does not play on Gentofte Blues/

We did this in the hotel's ballroom. The band played from a small elevated bandstand and I placed the microphone quite some distance in front of them. So that Ken would be able to reach the height of the microphone, we placed several chairs from the bandstand to it. Ken very carefully negotiated those chairs to tell us about his damaged bucket. :)

THE PROGRAM IS FROM CONCERT I AALBORGHALLEN, 16 APRIL 1953.

I was just kidding about Wild Cat Blues and Bill Bailey. I found the reference browsing thru Grunnet Jepsen's old Jazz Records 1942-1962.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this post, but fortunately I stumbled onto the Flanagan CD at a local store yesterday. 20 delicious tracks recorded in 1974 in Zurich. There was no way I was going to leave the store without this. I noticed (and was tempted by) the Roland Hanna disc as well, but I'll have to go back for that one. :tup

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got the Storyville Release "Billy Strayhorn: Piano Passion " and I'm a little disappointed in them. It seems to me everything on it is readily available elsewhere. The first 10 tracks were originally released as "The Peaceful Side of of Billy Strayhorn" by Capital fairly recently and though it now seems to be oop I still see it in stores. The next 8 traacks are the Ellington/Strayhorn duets still in print on Prestige and the last three are in the RCA box set. Is the Peaceful Side cd that hard to find now?

I just got the Storyville Release "Billy Strayhorn: Piano Passion " and I'm a little disappointed in them. It seems to me everything on it is readily available elsewhere. The first 10 tracks were originally released as "The Peaceful Side of of Billy Strayhorn" by Capital  fairly recently  and though it now seems to be oop I still see it in stores. Is the Peaceful Side cd that hard to find now?

I was unaware "Peaceful Side" had been on cd in the US. Do you know the catalog number or upc?

Oh Agustin,

this sounds like a real winner:

"Lester & Hawk Jam Sessions Plus

1945/6 Hollywood

Murray McEachern, leader, directing: Bobby Hackett, Manny Klein, Emmett Berry, Frank Riley (tpt), Vic Dickenson, Ray Conniff, Henry Coker (tbn), Corky Corcoran, "Babe" Russin (ts), Willie Smith, Lem Davis (as), Jack Martin (bs), Leo "Scat" Watson (p & vo), Slim Gaillard (g), "Bam" Brown (B), Nick Glicco (dr). Slim Gaillard introduces the soloists.

1. SONNY BOY (Jolson-DeSylvia-Brown-Henderson) 10:09

As above, Peggy Lee (vo) added.

2. YOU WAS RIGHT, BABY (Peggy Lee) 2:55

Bobby Hackett (tp), Willie Smith (as), probably same rhythm as before

. 3. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN (Warren) 3:11

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

4. I GOT RHYTHM (George Gershwin) 9:32

Lester Young (ts), probably same rhythm as before.

5. D.B. BLUES (Lester Young) 4:36

Coleman Hawkins (ts), probably same rhythm as before.

6. BODY AND SOUL (Green-Sour-Heyman) 4:36

Same personnel as for "I Got Rhythm".

7. OH, LADY BE GOOD (George Gershwin) 4:56

Buck Clayton (tp), Probably Kenny Kersey (p), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

8. MY OLD FLAME (Coslow-Johnston) 4:38 Helen Humes (vo) acc. by above listed group. 9. DON'T BLAME ME (Fields-McHugh) 4:09 10. UNLUCKY WOMAN (Helen Humes) 3:29

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey (p), Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

11. SWEET GEORGIA BROWN (Bernie-Pinkard-Casey) 9:07

Jubilee Show No. 186: Hollywood, March or April, 1946

Willie Smith, Benny Carter, Charlie Parker (as), Nat "King" Cole (p), Oscar Moore (g), Johnny Miller (B), Buddy Rich (dr).

12. Tea For Two (Vincent Youmans) 2:50

13. Body And Soul (Green -Sour-Heyman) 2:43 14. Cherokee (Ray Noble) 2:57

Jubilee Show No. 192: Hollywood, April, 1946

Buck Clayton (tp), Probably Kenny Kersey (p), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

8. MY OLD FLAME (Coslow-Johnston) 4:38

Helen Humes (vo) acc. by above listed group. 9. DON'T BLAME ME (Fields-McHugh) 4:09

10. UNLUCKY WOMAN (Helen Humes) 3:29

Buck Clayton (tp), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins (ts), Kenny Kersey (p), Irving Ashby (g), Bill Hadnott (B), "Shadow" Wilson (dr).

11. SWEET GEORGIA BROWN (Bernie-Pinkard-Casey) 9:07

Jubilee Show No. 186: Hollywood, March or April, 1946

Willie Smith, Benny Carter, Charlie Parker (as), Nat "King" Cole (p), Oscar Moore (g), Johnny Miller (B), Buddy Rich (dr).

12. Tea For Two (Vincent Youmans) 2:50

13. Body And Soul (Green-Sour-Heyman) 2:43

14. Cherokee (Ray Noble) 2:57

Amazing cd with excellent sound (remastered by J R T Davies)

The Jam Sessions 1945-46 A Jumpin' Jubilee on Jazz Unlimited

JUCD 2054 (Storyville)"

Did anyone get this and is it as good as it looks? Also is it readily available?

Anybody know when the next volume in the Ellington Treasury shows series is scheduled for release?  I've been picking up some of the first 10 here & there--am going to devote one big-band show a month to them from April through August.

I've got all of them through Vol 10 and was very happy with them until Vol 10. The sound on it is horribly compressed. Also the notes identify the last song on cd one as A Train when in fact it's Things Ain't What they Used to Be.

Maybe the death of the founder has led to shoddy work on the part of Storyville.

I have volumes 1, 2, and 10, and 3 & 4 are on their way... you're right about V. 10's sound. Hopefully V. 11--if it ever comes out--will not suffer from the same problems. Aren't there 24 double-CDs planned in all? I'm thinking about featuring some once a month on The Big Bands this year--doing a show of April 1945 broadcasts in April, a show of May 1945 broadcasts in May, etc.--right up through the 60th anniversary of V-J Day. (After which the name of "War Bonds" was changed to "Victory Bonds.")

Is it just my copy but the 2nd cd of Vol 10 not only has compressed sound but seems to have a lot of what I would best describe as surface noise?

BTW The sound on the later volumes is fine.

First a little correction "Jazz At Highschool" with Dexter G. is not recorded in Sweden but in Denmark.

Next, they way Storyville started was in a very small way. "Knald" re Karl Emil Knudsen was at that a fulltime employe (in 1952) by the local phone company, but in his sparetime he was coming around select musicstores, with his briefcase

full of 78rpm's records of New Orleans Music and trad. english bands. I can remeber it quite vivedly, as so can Chris (I won't reveal his real first name), whom I also can remember from then (in the early start of the fifties).

There is one guy though, that nobody has mentioned, namely Anders Stefansen, who has produced so many of the Storyville's for the last 15 years, and have done

a great job. I know Chris knows him, and Anders was the guy that turned me on to jazz, when I was 14 (he was 17), and I am forever gratefull to Anders for that.

I am 69 now and he 72 and still at it.

Vic

Thanks for that input, Victor--it brought back pleasant memories of my old Copenhagen days, when I was known by my middle name, Gunnar. I had a beer with Stefan at the Algonquin the other day (his son is undergoing some kind od training at IBM)--he looks great for his age. Karl was indeed working for KTAS (the Copenhagen telephone company) and he was driven by his love of jazz to work just as hard in his off hours--the result is Storyville, for which we should all be grateful. Sure miss Knald.

BTW Wilhelm Hansen's purchase of Storyville was contingent on Anders hanging in there and continuing his good work.

This thread at AAJ may be of interest here:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=9390

I'm wondering whether any Organissimites (Organissimoans?) have the Tommy Flanagan "Solo Piano" CD which Chris commented on in the AAJ thread, and whether anybody has any ideas related to this. I find it very interesting and curious. Maybe even worthy of its own thread...

This thread at AAJ may be of interest here:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=9390

I'm wondering whether any Organissimites (Organissimoans?) have the Tommy Flanagan "Solo Piano" CD which Chris commented on in the AAJ thread, and whether anybody has any ideas related to this. I find it very interesting and curious. Maybe even worthy of its own thread...

I have the Flanagan cd. I don't have a track list in front of me, but if I remember correctly, tracks 12-19 are NOT Flanagan. I'm certain those tracks are by the great stride pianist Joe Turner. I have some other recordings by him where he does the same interpretations of several of those tunes on the Storyville cd.

Anyway, I hope Storyville corrects this error. Not fair to Flanagan, and especially not fair to Turner. Great playing by both, though!

• 5 months later...

According to their website, new releases from Storyville Records are coming out soon.

And they´re going to relaunch the Masters of Jazz series: 12 new CDs, 6 to be released on May. No idea of what will come out, but the previous volumes on these series combine very rare sessions with others easily available elsewhere. A mixed bag.