SRCD-0004 -- Ari Hoenig / The Painter

For Ari, the drums aren't just rhythmic instruments, they're melodic

instruments, and he takes this concept further than anyone else. As a

drummer who can carry a melody pitch perfect on the drums, as well as one

who can paint with complex rhythmic textures, Ari is naturally suited to

lead his own group. Here we present Ari's recorded debut as leader of his

own group, featuring his most conversant collaborator of long-standing, the

dynamic Jean-Michel Pilc. The group is characterized by fluid time,

sweeping dynamics, and wide emotional range.

Ari's drumming is fabulitious. I don't know about his composer's qualities, but he's one of the VERY FEW drummers that light my fire. Great guy. Check him out. Really nifty stuff.

Cheers!

Another encouragement for anyone interested in filling up on all this great Hewitt now available. The first record's a stunner, beautiful. Can't wait to hear the second. I had the good luck to catch Frank Hewitt's thing maybe 50 or so times live at Smalls's and at a very few other places, and these records really catch that way he had of getting around on the piano all the way upfront.

Great, great job Luke and Smalls Records.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I didn't think any reviewer stood a chance with Frank Hewitt's record.  Doing exegesis on one of Frank's solos is as daunting as reading a great work in philosophy.  You can't assimilate it in short order.

The first Hewitt cd came in the mail a couple of days ago, and I've listened to it straight through twice now. I came back to this thread hoping for some extra insight. I found Luke's comment to be very interesting, since that was my thought exactly. For me, listening to Frank's improvisations is like reading Plato's Dialogues. You have to bring your full intellectual/musical/whatever resources to bear on the issue. I not sure how capable I am of plumbing the depths at this point, but I'm enjoying the music regardless. I'm kind of glad that it's mostly medium-slow standards, so at least I'm not getting lost in the form! A beautiful sound though, both in the playing and the recording.

I have to say, that has to be the oddest arco sound I've ever heard. :huh:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am enjoying Neal Caine's "Backstabber's Ball." Maybe the best I've heard from our friend Ned Goold, and Stephen Riley is interesting -- a kind of soberly intellectualized take on Paul Gonsalves? Interesting. Got the Frank Hewitt "Four Hundred Saturdays" too (my second Hewitt) and was impressed, but reactions haven't quite colaseced into words yet. Keep 'em coming, Luke!

• 1 year later...

The Hewitts (esp the first two trio discs); Neal Caine's Backstabber's Ball; Chris Byars' discs; the live 1990s dates by Omer Avital. I like the first Ned Goold disc The Flows (it's a "mix-tape" of live stuff, sometimes with loud crowd noise, but it's still plenty absorbing); the 2nd is disappointing. I'm fond of Sacha Perry's first trio disc Eretik; haven't heard the 2nd one, & by this point I don't really need more of him as a sideman (he's on half the Smalls releases) as he tends to play the same solo over & over. Writes great tunes, though, & Eretik has plenty of those.

The Davis has a great band--Tardo Hammer in particular--but his playing needs allowances for wear & tear. YMMV, as they say.