In Heavy Rotation

Sundog

I know, I know, the last thing this site needs is another "listening" thread. That being said, I'm going to start one anyway. :D My musical listening habits lately seem to revolve around a slowly, ever changing, roster of artists. More specifically, I really seem to be obsessed with a number of specific albums at any given point in time. These albums seem to be in constant rotation. Just thought it would be interesting to compare notes with board members and see what your latest obsessions are.

In Heavy Rotation...

1) Morgan-Shorter Mosaic- Amazing how realized these performances are given the point at which Wayne and Lee were at in their respectives careers.

2) John Coltrane Crescent- After just coming off of a late period Coltrane binge, for me this album is the perfect antedote. A beautiful set of music.

3) Charles Mingus Blues & Roots- Some of the most visceral music I've ever heard. Mingus is a mad-scientist genius of the "n"th degree.

4) Jackie McLean Bluesnik- The Blues never go out of style. This one sounds the "same as it ever was", and that's damn good!

5) Sonny Rollins The Cutting Edge- An old sentimental favorite that I've been revisiting lately.

6) Joss Stone The Soul Sessions- Soul & R&B live! A four thumb album. :tup:tup:tup:tup

Claude Thornhill, Joe Mooney, and Duke Ellington have been getting the most play of late. Thornhill because I recently picked up most of the Heps and have long wanted to explore his music comprehensively. Mooney because I stumbled across a reference to him in Gunther Schuller's THE SWING ERA and grew very intrigued (I have the two late-40's Heps); never thought I'd be digging an accordion-led jazz quartet! Very hip stuff and "idiosyncratic," as Joe Milazzo put it. Ellington because I just finished a special on him, and because those three Sony Legacy re-issues just came out, and because... well, I can never hear too much Duke.

Edited by ghost of miles

Dixieland. Particularly the ones recorded in the thirties and forties. I have a few JazzTone compilations and LP's which feature Teagarden, Muggsy Spanier, Pee Wee Russell, George Wettling and all those wildmen of the period. They lift my spirits and tranport me to a less complicated time in history.

I've also been listening to a lot of Jimmy Smith and kept playing "Christmas Cookin' long after the Season was over.

Very heavy rotation: Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, New Orleans Rhythm Kings, and Muggsy Spanier 'Chicagoans' recordings - all on nice King Jazz discs - Stan Tracey/Evan Parker's Suspensions and Anticipations, and Kenny Wheeler's Dream Sequence, new releases on Psi.

I've the Oliver, NORK and Spanier stuff for a couple of years, only now got round to trying them properly, and CAN NOT get enough - the rhythms and collective improv, and especially the bluesier tracks. The clarinet really comes through well on those old pre-electrical recordings - fantastic Johnny Dodds on the Oliver's, and Volly de Faut on the Chicagoans.

Interesting topic!

My current obsessions are Andrew Hill's "Passing Ships" and Miles Davis' "Miles Smiles". Incredible music that hit me hard the first time, and keeps getting better with repeated listenings.

I'm *carefully* wading into the Plugged Nickel set; that may be next on the heavy rotation list. And a daily dose of Mingus never hurts either...

Interesting topic!

My current obsessions are Andrew Hill's "Passing Ships" and Miles Davis' "Miles Smiles".  Incredible music that hit me hard the first time, and keeps getting better with repeated listenings.

I'm *carefully* wading into the Plugged Nickel set; that may be next on the heavy rotation list.  And a daily dose of Mingus never hurts either...

Last year I went through a serious phase on "Miles Smiles". At one point I must of listened to Freedom Jazz Dance 100 times, in a one week period. A good one to be obssesed with IMO.

My obsession du jour is BASIE. I recently got the Columbia box, and I've been playing it like MAD. I also recently got "Basie at Newport," and I can't get enough of it. It's the best of the Old AND New Testament bands in one super package! Pres, Jimmy Rushing, Frank Foster, Jo Jones, Joe Williams...what a show THAT must've been!

I've also been heavily into Dave Douglas lately. The new one ("Strange Liberation") is getting a lot of play, as are "Soul on Soul," "A Thousand Evenings," "Freak In," and "The Infinite." Great stuff!

Edited by Alexander

I know *exactly* what you're talking about, Sundog. :tup

BTW, I really like your avatar! Have you ever seen that on a bumper sticker anywhere? I usually don't put anything on my cars, but I'd make an exception for that one!

Nope, that's homemade (and not very well I might add). I've been toying with the idea of putting it on a T-shirt. I like the bumpersticker idea as well. One of these days!

I know *exactly* what you're talking about, Sundog.  :tup

BTW, I really like your avatar!  Have you ever seen that on a bumper sticker anywhere?  I usually don't put anything on my cars, but I'd make an exception for that one!

Nope, that's homemade (and not very well I might add). I've been toying with the idea of putting it on a T-shirt. I like the bumpersticker idea as well. One of these days!

I'd buy one. A t-shirt not a bumper sticker. Uncle Skid keeps threatening to paste a soccer ball on my vehicle (all real musicians drive red mini-vans, red cuz we're cool and minivans for hauling all the stuff).

Have you thought about Cafe Press? No out of pocket expenses, they handle everything. I sell Bass Clef stuff, well sell is the wrong word since I intentionally make no profit at it. I was looking for stuff with a bass clef on it and found bassically :lol: nothing. So I set up a cafe press shop with t-shirts and stuff with bass clefs on them. Surprisingly I've had over 100 people buy the stuff. You can set it up to make a profit if you want, I chose not to because I just wanted a decent t-shirt and thought someone else might enjoy it as well.

I know *exactly* what you're talking about, Sundog.   :tup

BTW, I really like your avatar!  Have you ever seen that on a bumper sticker anywhere?  I usually don't put anything on my cars, but I'd make an exception for that one!

I'd buy one. A t-shirt not a bumper sticker. Uncle Skid keeps threatening to paste a soccer ball on my vehicle (all real musicians drive red mini-vans, red cuz we're cool and minivans for hauling all the stuff).

Have you thought about Cafe Press? No out of pocket expenses, they handle everything. I sell Bass Clef stuff, well sell is the wrong word since I intentionally make no profit at it. I was looking for stuff with a bass clef on it and found bassically :lol: nothing. So I set up a cafe press shop with t-shirts and stuff with bass clefs on them. Surprisingly I've had over 100 people buy the stuff. You can set it up to make a profit if you want, I chose not to because I just wanted a decent t-shirt and thought someone else might enjoy it as well.

I've got a red pickup. Is that close enough to qualify? Thanks for the link. That's a very cool site. I may actually have to get that shirt made. Of course being the driver of a pickup truck predisposes me to to bumperstickers. B)

Another album that's been in Heavy Rotation I forgot to mention previously is...

We Free Kings- Roland Kirk This one's been logging some serious time since Christmas.

I've been exploring, and re-exploring, the music of Franz Koglmann. Four recordings lately:

• Make Believe

• An Affair with Strauss

• A White Line

• Orte der Geometrie

Then, for some reason, I pulled out Lee Morgan's Indeed! as a sort of tonic. That opening solo on "Roccus" is a gem. Do you remember when you were 18? The kid is 18 here, just ripping up those chord changes.

I also recently got "Basie at Newport," and I can't get enough of it. It's the best of the Old AND New Testament bands in one super package! Pres, Jimmy Rushing, Frank Foster, Jo Jones, Joe Williams...what a show THAT must've been!

I've always enjoyed 'Basie at Newport' as well. That was actually my introduction to Lester Young, if I recall correctly...

I've also been heavily into Dave Douglas lately. The new one ("Strange Liberation") is getting a lot of play, as are "Soul on Soul," "A Thousand Evenings," "Freak In," and "The Infinite." Great stuff!

Alexander, be sure to check out WITNESS as well, Douglas' album that was influenced by Edward Said. Much talk there from Douglas about his--er, ideological leanings. I won't say more outside of the politics forum! ;)

Forgot to mention that I'm coming off a huge Paul Gonsalves binge. Just went nuts on Gonsalves CDs (outside of the Ellington orchestra) for quite awhile...

Recently I took a chance on a 2 CD album from the BMG club because it was marked down to $3.99. "An Anthology of Big Band Swing 1930 - 1955". It covers 37 big bands that recorded for Decca. I can't stop listening to this. It's my first exposure to Jimmie Lunceford, Lucky Millander, Jay Mcshann and Andy Kirk; plus others I had never heard of like Noble Sissle and Spud Murphy.

Now, I find myself listening to it daily. What a great find.

I also find the Paul Chambers Mosaic Select very habit forming.

beyond the usual suspects I've been listening to a lot of Qawwali recently. Mostly Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan whose album are all good, so far, but, when he is really on, they are transcendental. Shahen Shah is my favorite out of the few I have heard so far. I also heard the Sabri Brothers for the first time recently. Their album Ya Habib is fantastic!

Back on the jazz front, Jimmy Cobb's new album - Cobb's Groove - is fantastic. Also a lot of Raphe Malik.

Edited by John B

I know, I know, the last thing this site needs is another "listening" thread. That being said, I'm going to start one anyway. :D

Hey, what the hell... :lol:

The main thing making it to the player these days seems to be Ornette Coleman's Beauty is a Rare Thing. It took me so long to get into it, it seems like I'm trying to make up for lost time! Grachan Moncur and Roscoe Mitchell are strong on my radar at the moment as well.

The hard bop monkey seems to be in a serious swoon right now, but I'm sure it'll never go away completely. The problem is that I'm being pulled in several directions: swing, dixieland, modern big band...the list goes on. Looks like Coleman is doing serious damage to all comers, though.