all things emusic

John B

This isn't jazz, but if you're a fan of The Marshall Tucker Band, do not under any circumstances pass up Toy Caldwell's solo album, Son Of The South. There's some mighty fine music on that one. I was shocked when I stumbled across it the other day. If I recall correctly, I paid something like $35.00 for the CD.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June downloads with top-of-the-head ratings:

Paul Bley About Time ****

Paul Bley Barrage ***

Peter Brotzmann Balls *****

James Carter In Carterian Fashion ****

John Coltrane The Complete 1962 Birdland Broadcasts ****

Contact Five on One ****

Convergence Quartet Song/Dance ****

Steve Lacy with Mal Waldron Comminique *****

Steve Lacy The Flame **

Steve Lacy Revenue ****

Sun Ra College Tour Vol. 1: The Complete Nothing Is ****

Alexander Von Schlippenbach Vesuvius ****

Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy At the Bimhuis 1982 *****

Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Quintet ONJQ Live in Lisbon ***

Edited by okierambler

They've finally added a label I can relate to: 1201 Music (aka Black Lion):

Earl Hines

Art Ensemble

More Art Ensemble

Albert Ayler

More Albert Ayler

Etc., etc., etc.

A personal favorite: Anyone remember P.D.? He hipped me to this band: Five A Slide

Also new to eMusic:

The Cool Sound of Pepper Adams (Savoy)

Lee Konitz - Live at the Village Vanguard

Yeah, many of the Black Lion/1201s appear to be incomplete. Also note, per the CDs that I have, several of the CDs are needle drops.

I contacted eMusic after reading and corroborating your post. They said they would look into it, yet today I see they put several new 1201 titles on their website, again with tracks missing. They claim the record company is responsible for the error, but it's their decision to keep selling incomplete albums. :tdown

Yeah, many of the Black Lion/1201s appear to be incomplete. Also note, per the CDs that I have, several of the CDs are needle drops.

I contacted eMusic after reading and corroborating your post. They said they would look into it, yet today I see they put several new 1201 titles on their website, again with tracks missing. They claim the record company is responsible for the error, but it's their decision to keep selling incomplete albums. :tdown

It is indeed the label that decides what to put up, how much to charge (for album-only downloads), and what to "fix" or not.

It is indeed the label that decides what to put up, how much to charge (for album-only downloads), and what to "fix" or not.

What you say is indeed true, but what eMusic sells is up to eMusic. Knowingly selling something that is incomplete is just plain wrong.

On a more positive note, check out fellow board member David Weiss' latest release Snuck In. A live date featuring David on trumpet, J.D. Allen on tenor sax, Nir Felder on guitar, Matt Clohesy on bass, and Jamire Williams on drums - it's a burner! And it's only 5 credits! :g::tup:

What you say is indeed true, but what eMusic sells is up to eMusic. Knowingly selling something that is incomplete is just plain wrong.

On a more positive note, check out fellow board member David Weiss' latest release Snuck In. A live date featuring David on trumpet, J.D. Allen on tenor sax, Nir Felder on guitar, Matt Clohesy on bass, and Jamire Williams on drums - it's a burner! And it's only 5 credits! :g::tup:

OK.........got the Weiss album. Thanks for the tip! (kinda sux for him to get only 5 credits worth of payment, though)

Oh, yeahhhhhhhhhh. It's a REAL burner!

July downloads: A small, but eclectic mix (with top-of-the-head ratings):

Art Bears Hopes & Dreams (1978) ****

Peter Brötzmann, Fred Van Hove, & Han Bennink FMP130 (1973) ****

Cream Royal Albert Hall, London (2005) ****

Sonny Criss Sonny's Dream: Birth of the New Cool (1968) *****

Alejandro Escovado Street Songs of Love (2010) ***

Ben Goldberg Go Home (2010) *****

Edited by okierambler

• 3 weeks later...

I received the following email today from eMusic regarding the problem with missing tracks:

Hi Robert,

We wanted to let you know that the issue you reported below has been fixed and will be reflected on the site within 24 hours.

We appreciate your patience while we worked to resolve this for you.

Regards,

Lilly -

Customer Support

• 3 weeks later...

Many more Black Lions dropped today:

Charles Tolliver - Grand Max (Originally released by Strata East as Live at the Loosdrecht Jazz Festival)

Buck Clayton Meets Joe Turner

Larry Coryell - Standing Ovation (originally on Novus, I believe)

Paul Gonsalves Meets Earl Hines

Johnny Griffin - The Man I Love

Julius Hemphill - Reflections (originally 'Coon Bidness)

Earl Hines - Tour De Force Encore

Freddie Hubbard - Minor Mishap (originally under Willie Wilson's name)

Helen Humes - On The Sunny Side of the Street

Philly Joe Jones - Mo' Joe

Brew Moore - Svinget 14

Oscar Pettiford - Vienna Blues: The Complete Session

Sammy Price - Barrelhouse and Blues

Roland Hanna - Perugia

Archie Shepp - There's A Trumpet In My Soul

Archie Shepp - Montreux One

Stephane Grappelli - Live In London

Stephane Grappelli Meets Barney Kessel

Stephane Grappelli Meets Earl Hines

Teddy Wilson - Stomping At The Savoy

Eddie Cleanhead Vinson - Jamming The Blues

Miroslav Vitous - Miroslav

Ben Webster Meets Bill Coleman

Ben Webster - The Jeep Is Jumping

August downloads:

Laurie Anderson - The Ugly One with the Jewels *****

Brandon Bernstein, etc. - Innocent When You Dream ****

Cosa Brava (Fred Frith) - Ragged Atlas ****

Dave Douglas - Spark of Being: Expand ****

Jimmy Giuffre - Western Suite ****

Ideal Bread - The Ideal Bread *****

Clifford Jordan - Night of the Mark VII ****

Ali Akbar Khan - Peerless ****

Max Roach - Speak, Brother, Speak ****

Sonny Rollins - Plays for Bird ****

Richard Thompson - Dream Attic *****

Mal Waldron - Waldron-Haslam *****

• 1 month later...

More changes to emusic, specifically another increase in prices and a move to iTunes-like pricing. At this point, I think I am through with emusic. I need to go through my saved albums and decide which ones I can't live without and download them this month.

The new pricing in detail

Our commitment to offer a consistent savings

With the new pricing system, you will see a wider range of prices, with some tracks costing more and some less than the effective price you pay today. Over all however, eMusic members will consistently be able to enjoy savings of 20% - 50% compared to iTunes a la carte prices.

Album prices

With your eMusic membership, you’ll get the biggest savings on albums released a year or more ago. Generally, albums released more than 12 months ago will be available at a 35% savings compared to iTunes a la carte prices. More recent releases will be priced 25% less than iTunes a la carte prices. For example: an album that sells at retail for $9.99 will sell for $7.49 on eMusic.

Track prices

Most of the single tracks in our current catalog will be available to members at $.49 which is generally 50% less than iTunes a la carte prices. The price of more popular individual tracks in our current catalog could be $0.69 or $0.79. Single tracks released within the last 12 months will be available for either $0.79 or $.89.

You’re probably curious what the prices will be for specific titles in our current and future catalog. Prices offered to members will largely be driven by release date and label requirements. All of that is still being determined and we won’t know specifics until we get closer to the launch date. As soon as we know more, we’ll share the details.