Rare Kenny Dorham

Claude Schlouch

This is one for Kenny Dorham fans. And if it has been reissued before, it has been an elusive item. I love Dorham's playing on this unassuming date. He sounds restrained there but that must have been the spirit that Mehegan wanted. In the liner notes, Mehegan indicates this was an unrehearsed session with the musicians going through several tunes before recording the tunes they agreed upon.

The LP was initially a limited edition of 1,000 copies. Then it was reissued under the title 'We Dig Jazz' on the Request label with one of the corniest cover ever (two trendy - for the early '6Os - couples digging a hole, all with shovels and picks and all smiling!, talk about jazz diggers!). Then Fresh Sounds reissued it in LP form. And it was also reissued later in Italy as an exact replica of the original issue (like the Fresh Sounds).

Nice to see the CD version being released.

Slightly off topic, any views on KD's Short Story on SteepleChase?

Really enjoyed that one when it came out on LP. It was nice to hear Tete Montoliu behind Dorham.

Nothing against Allan Botschinsky, the other trumpet player on the session, but he takes solo space from KD. Will spin this later today.

Can't have enough of the great Dorham.

Isn't this out on CD? Think I saw a copy not too long ago. Since there were no additional material compared to the LP, left it for somebody else to enjoy!

Hello to all the fans Kenny Dorham:

I have recently been directed to this site and I'm please to read that so many of my Dad's fans and listeners are still enjoying his music. I have read through many of the comments and I can say at the start that much of KD's time away from recording was devoted to among other things a tremendous amount of musical arranging for other musicians for which he did not get or would not take credit in in writing. He considered many of the musicians who visited our home to visit, rehearse or seek the opinion of my Dad (always an honest opinion) as friends and warriors for jazz, to get their music heard, respect and valued.

My Dad was not a self-centered or self-consious man, he was a highly principled man, sometimes even to a fault. He stuck by what he believed in, (even in unpopular beliefs or those not embraced by the majority) and would be hard pressed to compromise himself. He accepted all that came with those beliefs including sometimes harsh consequences.

Also during this time he spent with his five daughters of which I am one. I very much appreciate this discussion stream regarding his music, and I wanted to provide a small insight to the man. He was a loving father who had high expectations for his children. I continue to keep the flame burning and have in the past few years assisted in mounting concerts of his music and spoken on radio and cable TV, which I enjoyed, and hearing from fans and those who heard him play live. A few have been kind enough to send a photo.

I hope to join you at this site again in the near future with news regarding future plans.

Yours in Jazz,

JazzGirl3

Welcome to this Board, JazzGirl3. Glad to hear that his daughters are keeping the flame. The flame burns bright around these parts. Quite a number of KD fans among us.

Would be glad to hear some of your recollections of your father...

Edited by brownie