Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jan Garbarek Group – Dresden (In Concert) (ECM, 2009)

R-2401724-1330000335.jpg.30c4fef622bd27fa8e4b5e9b249074e8.jpg

How do you find that? I walked out of the Barbican gig of that tour, self-indulgent mood music and I say that as someone that has another Garbarek gig as one of my most memorable ever

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How do you find that? I walked out of the Barbican gig of that tour, self-indulgent mood music and I say that as someone that has another Garbarek gig as one of my most memorable ever

I’m with you. Once of those “returns to real jazz” that make you wish that the artist just hadn’t. It just sounds like a guy wandering around pointing his soprano about without much form or thought over forgettable compositions.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Primary

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" Sony SICP 30267~8 Blu-Spec CD2, disc 2

I don´t know this edition but Bitches Brew was still almost brand new when I was a kid and a fan of Miles. 
I remember there was only two tunes I didn´t like: It was the tune titled "John McLaughlin" that quite bored me a bit, and I thing there was another tune at the end called "Feia" or "Feira" or something like that, and though written by no one less than Wayne Shorter, it doesn´t mean anything to me. Not melodical, not rhytmical, but maybe those two tunes just isn´t my taste. I fell in love from first listening with "Voodoo", "Pharoah´s Dance" and the title tune and everything, even "Sanctuary". It was fresh music then, though at my listening time 1973 Miles had moved further with electrical jazz and the 1973 performance here in Viena really was something..... all that Al Foster, Michael Henderson and the wonderful Dave Liebman.....

12 hours ago, soulpope said:

My favourite Ornette Coleman platter ....

Interesting that I heard it much later than other albums. 

I was eager to learn the music of O.C. and my first album was the "Empty Foxhole" on BN and "Crisis" on Impulse. 
I think I heard THIS album much later and was astonished how conservative it is, it´s actually all through straight ahead swinging....., Even the key album "Free Jazz" is more a straight ahead thing......

Anyway all that was from the past when O.C. performed in my key years, the 70´s . Like Miles he had went electric, but Prime Time really was some fine stuff, and also a kind of "double quartet" with two guitars, two basses and two drummers.....

June Christy “Ballads for Night People” Capitol cd

c4c1a03ff33fbbb4fc69e86070b53803b325ab61

I’m not one of those night people, haven’t been so long I don’t remember being one. . . but I do love these ballad performances.

June Christy – vocals
Bob Cooper – arranger, conductor, tenor saxophone
Frank Rosolino – trombone
Bud Shank – alto saxophone, flute
Buddy Collette – clarinet
Chuck Gentry – bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet
Joe Castro – piano
Red Callender – bass
Mel Lewis – drums
Stan Levey – drums
Kathryn Julye – harp
Jim Decker – French horn
Norman Benno – English horn, bassoon
Recorded Los Angeles, 27 August and 10 September 1959.

(This cd also contains five tracks from "Do-Re-Mi")

Edited by jazzbo