• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/8/2023 at 9:09 AM, Referentzhunter said:

e2967885bd56991d86ca74a4cbef3119c20f8b4d.jpg

So great. Though my main interest always has been acoustic jazz, this was the music of my youth too. It was brand new when I was a young fan and naturally I dug not only 50´s and 60´s Miles and 60´s Hancock, but also this one.  We loved it , as we loved let´s say "Bitches Brew", "On the Corner"...., it was just the music of that time and it was still that kind of 10 years intervals of styles, as was swing in the 30´s, bop in the 40´s, hardbop in the 50´s, Free and Modal in the 60´s and Electrick Jazz in the 70´s . 

Gotta say the execution of this concept is not working for me at all, mostly because of the vocals--though the arrangements aren't really offering much to write home about either.  Bowie himself famously plugged into jazz at the end of his career with Maria Schneider and Donny McCaslin, and I greatly enjoyed those recordings... but this sounds too much in the neighborhood of Bill Murray's old SNL lounge-singer schtick.  YMMV:

4164220-2923137.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Gotta say the execution of this concept is not working for me at all, mostly because of the vocals--though the arrangements aren't really offering much to write home about either.  Bowie himself famously plugged into jazz at the end of his career with Maria Schneider and Donny McCaslin, and I greatly enjoyed those recordings... but this sounds too much in the neighborhood of Bill Murray's old SNL lounge-singer schtick.  YMMV:

4164220-2923137.jpg

LMAO.