• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, HutchFan said:

51FCnf+dJZL.jpg

If I remember right, there were two volumes. Same photo, but one cover in yellow, and one in black.

You might laugh at me, but this was about the first album of so called "Cool Jazz" I ever had. (with the exception of "Birth of the Cool". 
And the circumstances how I purchased it are also funny.

I was at a jazz club and in the after hours after the gig the owner spinned his records as usually, he was famous for his records. And suddely I heard a male vocal "There will never be another you"  but was completly fascinated by the strong bass sound (no wonder, it´s Ron Carter), and so I went to the record store and bought it (for Ron Carter´s bass ). But it has some nice playing on it. I think Bernie´s Tune even reached Charlie Parker and Wardell Gray who played it. Other songs like "Unfinished Woman" sound a bit boring, but okay, nice albums....

2 hours ago, BillF said:

51JR3MwQpHL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Danny Moss, born Redhill, Surrey UK, whose playing was described by Count Basie as " real Texas tenor ... the way it should sound!" 😀

He was on TV just the other week on that film of the Charlie Watts Big Band. An eclectic sax section with Evan Parker, Ray Warleigh, Bobby Wellins, Peter King and Olaf Vas - plus a young Courtney Pine.

The only Danny Moss recording I have I think is this LP, quite an obscure one. I believe that the lady he is featured with on the cover is his wife, singer Jeanie Lambe.

OC0yOTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

6 hours ago, BillF said:

MS0xMDU4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Reminds me of my brief chat with Howard Rumsey asking about Lee Morgan’s engagement at The Lighthouse. His comment - ‘Were you there?’  If so, I would have been in short trousers..😂

18a4b94c-c98e-46d7-b18b-c696d7df469c.jpg

This one is slowly growing on me - sort of.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

He was on TV just the other week on that film of the Charlie Watts Big Band. An eclectic sax section with Evan Parker, Ray Warleigh, Bobby Wellins, Peter King and Olaf Vas - plus a young Courtney Pine.

Mention of Ray Warleigh reminds me of this one which features Jon Eardley on trumpet and has on bass my student days friend Danny Padmore, with whom I exchanged Christmas greetings a few days ago:

51qo08POIEL._AC_.jpg

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Mention of Ray Warleigh reminds me of this one which features Jon Eardley on trumpet and has on bass my student days friend Danny Padmore, with whom I exchanged Christmas greetings a few days ago:

51qo08POIEL._AC_.jpg

Yes, I remember that one on Spotlite. Never saw any of Chase’s groups - very popular with the jazz dance crowd of a few decades back. I did see Warleigh with Paz and a few times with Kenny Wheeler’s Orchestra.

This one on Jazz In Britain is worth seeking out.

warleigh-manor-the-ron-mathewson-tapes-v

Edited by sidewinder