• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy Cow. . . these XRCD24 from Audio Wave can really show you what condition your system is in. This is a fine recording from Rudy Van Gelder to begin with, the mastering is great and the sound is just right. Not to mention that this quintet means business.

Donald Byrd "The Cat Walk" Blue Note Audio Wave XRCD24.

cc26b6311d7fbb93a2821b8ca4008f0b.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Bob Dylan “Tell Tale Signs” Deluxe edition, disc 3

d8d48242d83eae1aee07b9b629f41c04f2ba0493

Just a few weeks til the next Bootleg Volume!

Today I had to hear “Cold Iron Bound”

Not a fan of Columbia for doing these "bootleg" releases since they're being done strictly to claim the copyright, which they would lose in the EU under their "use it or lose it" copyright rule.

I wouldn't be as bothered by it if they were actually doing it to make it available to fans of the music. They clearly are not. They do one limited pressing - just enough to get credited with releasing it - and then let it run out of print.

My feeling is that they should "lose it" because then maybe the fans could actually buy it from someone who would keep it in print.

15 minutes ago, bresna said:

Not a fan of Columbia for doing these "bootleg" releases since they're being done strictly to claim the copyright, which they would lose in the EU under their "use it or lose it" copyright rule.

I wouldn't be as bothered by it if they were actually doing it to make it available to fans of the music. They clearly are not. They do one limited pressing - just enough to get credited with releasing it - and then let it run out of print.

My feeling is that they should "lose it" because then maybe the fans could actually buy it from someone who would keep it in print.

I am not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there is a Bootleg Series, and then there are those "copyright release" sets that they produce in very limited quantities just to retain rights to the material. They are two completely different things. The Bootleg Series are pressed in astonishing quantities and remain in print for a long time--only LP sets and maybe one of the now 17 volumes has gone out of print.

One of the "copyright sets" was transformed into a Bootleg Series volume, in large part because it contained material from sessions with George Harrison and Johnny Cash that have buyer appeal beyond rabid Dylan fans. The others contain material that I imagine Columbia will compile into future regular releases--the whole point of the releases is to retain that possibility.

If you are a Dylan fan as I am these Bootleg Series volumes are wonderful. Really looking forward to Volume 17 later this month.

Edited by jazzbo

“The Intimate Miss Christy” Capitol cd

June Christy with Al Viola (nylon string guitar) , Don Bagley (acoustic bass) on songs 1 through 12 . With guest appearances by Bud Shank (flute). 13 and 14 are bonus tracks with Jonah Jones (trumpet) and Teddy Brannon (piano) with John Brown (bass) and George Foster (drums)

This arrived from ebay (not very well packed darn it) this week, I missed this when it was first released many years ago and I'm glad I finally corralled it:

Joe Williams "At Newport '63" RCA Bluebird cd.

447693.jpg

Great band backing him with the great Coleman Hawkins as a guest.

Edited by jazzbo