• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

7181LPFLQ6L._SX522_.jpg

I had quite a collection of the LPs from the French "America" Label, since they were cheap over here (cheaper than let´s say a CBS LP or Atlantic or so on). And since I was a big Mingus fan from the start, "America" having most of the Mingus albums , I almost thought that it´s a label mostly dedicated to the music of Mingus, since even on others where he was not the leader, he still was on it (like Massey Hall, Bud Powell Trio, Four Trombones etc. ) .

The 1970 edition was 2 albums: "Pythicantropus Erectus" and "Blue Bird". It has some great music on it, it has Jakie Byard and Danny Richmond back, and Bobby Jones who was quite obscure, sounds great. McPherson too. 

But I must admit at first listening then when it came out, I was a bit disappointed, since I had expected that after the wild and open things with Eric Dolphy and so on the Mingus of 1970 might be even more into "free" which he wasn´t. 

The next time where I had the feeling that Mingus is back to his act was in the mid 70´s with George Adams and Don Pullen, this was again some Mingus with all them tensions, them changes of time, with taking the music more outside and all of that......

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

👍😁

Excellent" 😁👍 - He was member of the german RIAS big band for some time.

... and November 30, 1979 at the second Göttingen Jazz Festival: Carmell Jones & Friends Inc. feat. Miss Elly [later Elly Wright] Note: Carmell Jones replaced Leo Wright as leader because Leo Wright has had a stroke short before the gig.

Edited by optatio