Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Very sorry to hear this sad news - RIP. Very versatile player - didn’t he start out on Mellophonium? News such as this is pretty depressing as I always thought of him as a key West Coast ‘keeper of the flame’.

Yes, Carl wanted to join the Kenton Band as a trumpet player, but only a mellophonium chair was open, so he accepted it. I believe the mouthpieces on those horns are quite similar. Then went back to trumpet after a couple of years with Kenton.

Versatile? For sure. I find his lead playing on this CD to be outstanding.  

Primary

Listening now:

PJ PERRY - No Hugs CM062022

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

“Bud Powell Trio,” Royal Roost/TOCJ Japan lp facsimile cd

followed by
“Miles Davis Espanol: New Sketches of spain” disc 2

7f56c7f6432060b501760b92c4051f77d0366b81

I think I have both sessions of early Bud on a double LP from the 70´s titled "Best Years 1947-1964" . I think I remember the 1947 titles were recorded a semitone too sharp, so that "April" sounds like played in Ab rather than in the regular G. What I think is that Bud´s famous ballad style still was not completely developed. On "Everything Happens to Me" there is much more arpeggio.

The best ballads are found on the 1953 session, above all "My Devotion" and of course "Embraceable You". And those wonderful faster tunes like "Woody´n You" and "Bean ´n the Boys" (I play Bean ´n the Boys quite often, it´s a favourite of mine but on jam sessions with youngsters you find that there is not many guys who can play the changes of "Lover Come Back to Me" (on which "Bean ´n the Boys" is based) if they don´t have sheet. 

Miles Espanol: Is this a record made after Miles´ death ? Might be interesting if it has a bit more modern sound and instrumentation than the original. 

But I admire you guys who can switch so fast from the mood of one record to another style. If I hear a record it creates a certain mood and it´s hard for me to switch from this to something that has another mood. Like reading books. If I finish a book and it leaves a certain impression, I have to take a break to read the next book......

As for the Rollins spinning those days: 

The first time I saw Rollins live was exactly after this record was done: 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

a.jpg

Kenny Dorham "Whistle Stop" Blue Note Japan 24bit by RVG cd

A few years ago I made my Blue Note recordings harder to find (almost all my collection is in bookcases where I have four rows of cds, two behind and two in front, so the Blue Note were put in rows behind others) as I was playing them so often, but now it's time to listen to more Blue Notes, especially the 24bit by RVG series from Japan, so I moved those to front rows of a book case.

Kenny and Hank are always a good combo! Add Philly Joe and you have a hard bop showcase.

Indeed a fine record, but when I heard it first about 2000 when it came out as RVG I think it was a bit too late for me to really enjoy it. 

See: When I was in my early teens, everything with Philly J.J and Paul Chambers was top for me, since my first record was "Steamin´" , but this one was done in the early 60´s when other musicians and other styles became predominant, so my first choice for KD in the 60´s is "Una Mas" with the then young talents of Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams...

Edited by Gheorghe

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have both sessions of early Bud on a double LP from the 70´s titled "Best Years 1947-1964" . I think I remember the 1947 titles were recorded a semitone too sharp, so that "April" sounds like played in Ab rather than in the regular G. What I think is that Bud´s famous ballad style still was not completely developed. On "Everything Happens to Me" there is much more arpeggio.

The best ballads are found on the 1953 session, above all "My Devotion" and of course "Embraceable You". And those wonderful faster tunes like "Woody´n You" and "Bean ´n the Boys" (I play Bean ´n the Boys quite often, it´s a favourite of mine but on jam sessions with youngsters you find that there is not many guys who can play the changes of "Lover Come Back to Me" (on which "Bean ´n the Boys" is based) if they don´t have sheet. 

Miles Espanol: Is this a record made after Miles´ death ? Might be interesting if it has a bit more modern sound and instrumentation than the original. 

But I admire you guys who can switch so fast from the mood of one record to another style. If I hear a record it creates a certain mood and it´s hard for me to switch from this to something that has another mood. Like reading books. If I finish a book and it leaves a certain impression, I have to take a break to read the next book......

As for the Rollins spinning those days: 

The first time I saw Rollins live was exactly after this record was done: 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Indeed a fine record, but when I heard it first about 2000 when it came out as RVG I think it was a bit too late for me to really enjoy it. 

See: When I was in my early teens, everything with Philly J.J and Paul Chambers was top for me, since my first record was "Steamin´" , but this one was done in the early 60´s when other musicians and other styles became predominant, so my first choice for KD in the 60´s is "Una Mas" with the then young talents of Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams...

Yes, MIles in Espanol is a release produced by Bob Belden long after Miles passed.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3551662-Various-Miles-Español-New-Sketches-Of-Spain

I believe that the Powell disc I have may have been speed-corrected. And I find no problem moving from one disc to another, don't get stuck in a mood.