• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.png.fd328012a5055cf7636a5e7d164766b9.png

Doreen's Jazz New Orleans - Vol.V, Mama Don't Want

I have no idea if this is a good example of NO jazz but I'm enjoying it especially the clarinet and tuba. Seems to have a number of the "hits" on it which makes me wonder what audience it's aimed at

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

image.png.fd328012a5055cf7636a5e7d164766b9.png

Doreen's Jazz New Orleans - Vol.V, Mama Don't Want

I have no idea if this is a good example of NO jazz but I'm enjoying it especially the clarinet and tuba. Seems to have a number of the "hits" on it which makes me wonder what audience it's aimed at

my wild guess (based on reading her name here and there) would be that this program is what they play at a street corner just like the one on the cover, hoping for tourists to give them some cash, maybe even in exchange for the CD... 

1 hour ago, Niko said:

my wild guess (based on reading her name here and there) would be that this program is what they play at a street corner just like the one on the cover, hoping for tourists to give them some cash, maybe even in exchange for the CD... 

Yes, that's what I suspect. She seems to have a fairly large discography 

Now onto

Alvin Batiste - 'Bayou Magic'

Excellent 

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Mi02NzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Michele Rosewoman and Quintessence - Contrast High (Enja, 1989)

I used to have the LP and I'm not sure I do anymore.  At the time it was a band a favourite players, especially Gary Thomas.

How's it sounding today?

Edit to add: found it in the "reserve collection" cupboard, now playing here too

Edited by mjazzg

35 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How's it sounding today?

Sounding good!  I like it very much.  :tup 

As you say, everyone in the band is top-notch.  And I dig the unique compositions.  The music reminds me of a late-80s update on late-60s Andrew Hill.  I keep thinking of "Plantation Bag" on Passing Ships.  The music is abstract, but it's also very funky -- even if the funky vibe isn't conventional.  Instead, it's somehow "irregular" funk.  . . . The same could be said about High Contrast.

Edited by HutchFan

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Sounding good!  I like it very much.  :tup 

As you say, everyone in the band is top-notch.  And I dig the unique compositions.  The music reminds me of a late-80s update on late-60s Andrew Hill.  I keep thinking of "Plantation Bag" on Passing Ships.  The music is abstract, but it's also very funky -- even if the funky vibe isn't conventional.  Instead, it's somehow "irregular" funk.  . . . The same could be said about High Contrast.

Yes, I'm very much enjoying my reacquaintance with it. It's interesting in that some of the sounds, like the synth, that might have made it sound dated 10 years ago now sound quite contemporary again.

I'd not spotted the Hill connection but do hear what you're suggesting and Osby did play with him, I saw that band.

The "irregular" funk and twinned horns make it err towards that M-base sound to my ears, of which I was a huge fan. Thanks for prompting me to revisit

43 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The "irregular" funk and twinned horns make it err towards that M-base sound to my ears, of which I was a huge fan. Thanks for prompting me to revisit

:tup

NP:

LTE5OTUuanBlZw.jpeg

Mike Osborne - Outback (Turtle UK, 1970)
with Harry Beckett, Chris McGregor, Harry Miller, and Louis Moholo

Very abstract -- and, at times, very dissonant -- but also very beautiful.  Some continuity with Dolphy, I think.  . . . It took me a while to get inside this, but I'm glad I kept at it.  Always a good feeling when formerly opaque music finally reveals itself after repeated listening.

Edited by HutchFan

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

:tup

NP:

LTE5OTUuanBlZw.jpeg

Mike Osborne - Outback (Turtle UK, 1970)
with Harry Beckett, Chris McGregor, Harry Miller, and Louis Moholo

Very abstract -- and, at times, very dissonant -- but also very beautiful.  Some continuity with Dolphy.  . . . It took me a while to get inside this, but I'm glad I kept at it.  Always a good feeling when formerly opaque music reveals itself.

That's a terrific album, glad the clouds parted for you. Sometimes it's just a matter of time, others it sneaks up I find

Just now, mjazzg said:

That's a terrific album, glad the clouds parted for you. Sometimes it's just a matter of time, others it sneaks up I find

So, so true.  Sometimes, it's immediate, almost intuitive.  Other times, you've got to be more patient.  

"Clouds parting" . . . I like that metaphor.  That's it.  Nothing else quite like it when the skies open up.  ;) 

2 hours ago, BillF said:

image.jpg?c=1uK8-PfgZtqXien2hXDcgw4Q1ghY

:D 👍

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍

Now:

Primary

For me Fontana and Rosoline are my tb favorites. Always good to listen to.

15 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Re: Julian Priester

Your post reminded me that this one is on my wantlist far too long - I found an affordable mint copy and ordered it. Priester is my favourite trombonist. 

Can also recommend his album on Jazzland " Spiritsville".

Edited by jazzcorner