• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/10/2023 at 3:29 PM, mikeweil said:

Mi0xNTk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

I have the CD. Well intended, but with all my love for ballads, I never did understand, why the vintage bop group plays here only ballads with the exception of a medium tempo "All the Things You Are". 

The things played by the white boys is quite nice, but a clarinet just sounds funny to me. I hadn´t really known who is Bill Smith or Bob Carter.......

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Mi01ODMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny05MTQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I´ve been listening a lot to Woody Shaw´s live recordings in the recent weeks. 

I liked the saxophone of Carter Jefferson. I hadn´t known him before, since he was not anymore in the group when I saw Woody for the first time. And I mostly heard him with Tony Reedus on drums, who was fantastic. 

From the group with Carter Jefferson I think I have on from live in Basel

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

Something to live for... 

Yes, this is perfect way to hear all Savoy and Dial tracks, just his most important studio work in his most creative period. And to hear them chronologically all master takes, not all those alternate takes and stuff. 

Before that I had the double LP "Savoy Mastertakes" but didn´t have all the Dial tracks since those "Spotlite" LPs were well meant but those many alternate tracks got on my nerves.....

Eugen Cicero – Romantic Swing (Eugen Cicero Plays Franz Liszt)R-2183728-1519991396-9281.jpg.40cb79b0b185f612c0568f2284af7fcd.jpg

I remain fascinated by this kind of stuff, and it's equivalents into the 1980s (at which point jazz schlock as an adult oriented genre seems to peter out). I have a good idea of the sort of solid burgher who might have bought this sort of record, a european equivalent, I guess, to the US population buying up any orchestral record with "bossa" in the title at the same time. But what about those listeners around the sides? Were there children to whom this was their first experience of jazz as the only non classical record in the house? Classical musicians for whom a chance encounter with Mr. Ciceu's work in an academic library was a vital step in a different direction?