• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Music for the season

One of the best sounding Interpretation of  Claude Thornhills composition " Snowfall"  IMO can be found on the CD below arranged by Gene Puerling and Manny Albam.

Do you have also a favoriite version?

42691317xj.jpg

42691319ny.jpg

Have the following other versions

snowfall    Gray,Glen    1022    Capitol    The Sounds of the Great Bands
snowfall    Gleason,Jackie    758    Capitol    Merry Christmas
snowfall    Shearing,George    1472    Capitol    The Shearing Touch
snowfall    Thornhill,Claude    163M    CBS-Sony (jap)    Claude Thornhill-The real Birth Of Th Cool
snowfall    Thornhill,Claude    32906    Columbia    The Memorable Claude Thornhill
snowfall    Barnet,Charlie    1056    Creative World    Bigband 1967 - Charlie Barnet and his Orchestra
snowfall    Four Freshmen    no Cat#     Disc Makers    The Four Freshmen "Snowfall"
snowfall    Thornhill,Claude    FTR-2501    First Time Records    Big Band Themes On The Air  1932-1946
snowfall    Rugolo,Pete    2221    Jazzcity (FS)    Pete Rugulo and his Orchestra - Adventures in Soun
snowfall    Thornhill,Claude    6606    Monmouth   SNOWFALL - A Memory of Claude Thornhill
snowfall    Singers Unlimited    21852    MPS/BASF    Singers Unlimited - The Four Of Us
snowfall    B.May - G. Gray    345    Time-Life    The Swing Era 1940-1941
snowfall    Rugulo,Pete    5309    Vocalion    Music for Hi-Fi bugs / Brass in Hi-Fi
snowfall    Farnon,Dennis    5312    Vocalion    Caution!Men swinging - The enchanted woods

My favorite Snowfall was my first - Wes Montgomery from Wes' Best on Fantasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Wes-Best-Montgomery-His-Brothers/dp/B000LZSZQU/

In yesterday from Resonance Records. . . a very handsome 3 cd set of Les McCann live material. This disc 1 has great sound, nice swing for another chilly morning up too early.

Les McCann “Never A Dull Moment! Live From Coast To Coast (1966-67)” 3 CD set, disc 1

aea965422de63107e80e21da28a512f7bbaa377e

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

In yesterday from Resonance Records. . . a very handsome 3 cd set of Les McCann live material. This disc 1 has great sound, nice swing for another chilly morning up too early.

Les McCann “Never A Dull Moment! Live From Coast To Coast (1966-67)” 3 CD set, disc 1

aea965422de63107e80e21da28a512f7bbaa377e

Mine has been shipped!

NP:

812ePp3mv0L._SX600_.jpg

Baden Powell - Solitude on Guitar (Columbia BR, 1973)
I'm still transfixed by the sound this guy makes with his guitar.  What an absolute master.

I definitely prefer the Brazilian cover (above) compared to the cheesy image on the U.S. release:

2293072_540x.jpg?v=1672194317

It's like the designers were trying to create an MPS-like cover -- but it doesn't come off, IMO.  Instead, it just looks like something that's pitched at an easy listening audience.  . . . Not that there's anything inherently wrong with easy listening.  But this ain't that.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

812ePp3mv0L._SX600_.jpg

Baden Powell - Solitude on Guitar (Columbia BR, 1973)
I'm still transfixed by the sound this guy makes with his guitar.  What an absolute master.

I definitely prefer the Brazilian cover (above) compared to the cheesy image on the U.S. release:

2293072_540x.jpg?v=1672194317

It's like the designers were trying to create an MPS-like cover -- but it doesn't come off, IMO.  Instead, it just looks like something that's pitched at an easy listening audience.  . . . Not that there's anything inherently wrong with easy listening.  But this ain't that.

Superb .... btw agree on your cover art assessment ....

Miles Davis “Miles in Berlin” Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2 cd set, disc 2, the “pseudo-stereo” mastering used when the session was first released in Germany on LP.

It sounds really good! Surprisingly. Will probably listen to this version as often as the mono later released.

And what a concert this was! Pretty certain this was the first official recording of Wayne Shorter with these band members.

62a375d41c6b902f14279bf41e9c96cde79dffa9