So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Ny0yNjExLmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny03MzA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1972 live dates, but I question the full accuracy of the personnel on "Perception", unless Bill Hardman turned into Woody Shaw and Dave Schnitter decided to play soprano...

Also gotta wonder about the 1972 date in general, just because.

No matter, it's a pretty good record anyway!

• Replies 79.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-2503773076.jpeg

That´s a great album, I love it ! 

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ny0yNjExLmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny03MzA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1972 live dates, but I question the full accuracy of the personnel on "Perception", unless Bill Hardman turned into Woody Shaw and Dave Schnitter decided to play soprano...

Also gotta wonder about the 1972 date in general, just because.

No matter, it's a pretty good record anyway!

I´d also wonder about the date 1972. 

Dave Schnitter was part of the comeback of Blakey in the late 70´s , ´77, ´78 and as much as I remember, in the early 70´s the Messengers practically didn´t exist since Blakey was constantly touring all over the world with the Giant´s of Jazz. And also the next years were absolutly lean years for the Messengers. Only the renewed interest in acoustic jazz in the late 70´s brought them all back for top billing. It was the band with Schnitter, Ponomarev, Bobby Watson, James Williams, Robert Irving that brought them back into full action and full houses......

3 hours ago, dougcrates said:

LTQzMzguanBlZw.jpeg

Original LP

Very interesting trumpet player. I first had heard him on the two Cecil Taylor albums for BN. 

I think, not many people know that he was about the last musician to receive some advices and encouragement from Bud Powell, who lived round the corner. 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It was the band with Schnitter, Ponomarev, Bobby Watson, James Williams, Robert Irving that brought them back into full action and full houses......

Re Schnitter & Ponomarev 

My foto from a private concert in our jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany  at the end of 1979

43022346ak.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43022343hg.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
pics added

Next up:

NzEtOTIxMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Eddie Palmieri - Arete (TropiJazz, 1995)
Eddie Palmieri (p, arr), Donald Harrison (as), Brian Lynch (tr), Conrad Herwig (tb), John Benitez (b), José "Cochise" Claussell (tim), Paoli Mejias (bgo), Richie Flores (cga), Adam Cruz (d)

Edited by HutchFan

55 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

NzEtOTIxMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Eddie Palmieri - Arete (TropiJazz, 1995)
Eddie Palmieri (p, arr), Donald Harrison (as), Brian Lynch (tr), Conrad Herwig (tb), John Benitez (b), José "Cochise" Claussell (tim), Paoli Mejias (bgo), Richie Flores (cga), Adam Cruz (d)

That looks like a killer band but I have to say, if I saw that CD cover in a bin back in the day, I would've skipped right over it. :) What a horrible cover design. It's like a graphic arts major vomited all over it.

43 minutes ago, bresna said:

That looks like a killer band but I have to say, if I saw that CD cover in a bin back in the day, I would've skipped right over it. :) What a horrible cover design. It's like a graphic arts major vomited all over it.

Yup, the cover art is ugly -- but the music is terrific.

My adult son -- who is a working (visual) artist -- saw the cover earlier today.  He laughed and said: "Eww.  Early digital."

Edited by HutchFan