So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I don't really know who Robert Christgau is but he's entitled to not like it.

He and Greil Marcus were the first great rock critics.  To me, they and Dave Marsh remain the gold standard, especially Marcus, who is still astonishing as he pushes 80.  Marcus's review of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait album remains the ultimate work of art in rock writing 50+ years later:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/self-portrait-107056/

Edited by felser

• Replies 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, felser said:

He and Griel Marcus were the first great rock critics.  To me, they and Dave Marsh remain the gold standard, especially Marcus, who is still astonishing as he pushes 80.  Marcus's review of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait album remains the ultimate work of art in rock writing 50+ years later:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/self-portrait-107056/

He did cut right to the chase there, didn't he?  Lester Bangs was my favorite of that bunch, but they all had their good & bad points.

1 hour ago, felser said:

He and Greil Marcus were the first great rock critics.  To me, they and Dave Marsh remain the gold standard, especially Marcus, who is still astonishing as he pushes 80.  Marcus's review of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait album remains the ultimate work of art in rock writing 50+ years later:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/self-portrait-107056/

Seconded ....

1 hour ago, felser said:

Okay. I know Marcus. I don't follow critics much at all any longer, especially rock critics as I don't really follow rock much any longer. Several board members here and there I value the opinion of more, and don't really need opinions in general.

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

NP .... :

aecbaf47d4.jpg

Dusko Goykovich „Swinging Macedonia“ (Philips)             1967 ….

I had not known that it is so old. I had heard parts of it when Austrian Symphony Sid (Herwig Wurzer-"Jazzshop") had spinned it and somehow had forgotten about it, though I had taped it on casetofon as all the "Wurzer-Stuff". There was also another Dușco Goicovici record titled "After Hours". Eventually I will have to get them somehow......

6 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I had not known that it is so old. I had heard parts of it when Austrian Symphony Sid (Herwig Wurzer-"Jazzshop") had spinned it and somehow had forgotten about it, though I had taped it on casetofon as all the "Wurzer-Stuff". There was also another Dușco Goicovici record titled "After Hours". Eventually I will have to get them somehow......

You can't go wrong with Dusko Goykovich ....

19 hours ago, BillF said:

cover-85.jpg

A classic.  I think it was the second Miles album I had when I was a kid. 

But one remarkable thing about it: 

Miles had altered some chords of "Midnight" and most of the dudes now or even since I  had started to play did those "Miles Changes" which always sound a bit wrong to my ears as I had grown up with the original Monk changes. 

Same with "Well You Needn´t". The bridge Miles plays and millions of followers have copied, is wrong. 

Dear Bill, listen to the difference and I´m sure you will recognize it. 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

A classic.  I think it was the second Miles album I had when I was a kid. 

But one remarkable thing about it: 

Miles had altered some chords of "Midnight" and most of the dudes now or even since I  had started to play did those "Miles Changes" which always sound a bit wrong to my ears as I had grown up with the original Monk changes. 

Same with "Well You Needn´t". The bridge Miles plays and millions of followers have copied, is wrong. 

Dear Bill, listen to the difference and I´m sure you will recognize it. 

Yes, Miles did similar things with Benny Carter's "When Lights Are Low".

26 minutes ago, BillF said:

Yes, Miles did similar things with Benny Carter's "When Lights Are Low".

Right ! That´s a very good example ! And because I am very very familiar with Monk´s work, but don´t know much about Benny Carter´s , I also tapped in that mistake and had played "Lights are Low" only in the Miles manner until my young trumpetplayer, who has all the necessary academic knowledge, told me that Miles bridge is wrong. 

I had known only about wrong changes of Monk tunes, maybe because that was more the repertory of the olders from the "jazz streets" where I learned my stuff 😉

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Okay. I know Marcus. I don't follow critics much at all any longer, especially rock critics as I don't really follow rock much any longer. Several board members here and there I value the opinion of more, and don't really need opinions in general.

Please let us know what you think of the second disc when you get to it.  I stopped following rock in the mid-80's.

"Cat Power Sings Dylan--the 1964 Royal Albert Hall Concert" disc 2
(the electric set).

CatPowerSingsDylan_CVR3000_1024x1024.jpg

John, a friend of mine said that he thought this second disc is better than the first. I personally prefer the first.

Chan Marshall approaches this material with a certain age and less energy than Robert Zimmerman did, and the recording is also both clearer and more mellow. I like it. I can totally understand why many another wouldn't. I would say try and get a preview of a few tracks from both sides.

55 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent Piano Trio date feat. Reggie Johnson (b) + Frank Gant (dr) .... recorded in January 1980 and released @ Japan on Bopland in 1984 (and as CD with bonus material on Interplay in 1991) ....

I've had an eye out for that album for a while.  Still haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay.  As with many Japan-only releases, after-market prices are HIGH (especially when you factor in shipping from JP).  But I'm sure that I'll get 'round to it eventually.  ;) 

NP:

MS05NTkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Lou Rawls with Les McCann Ltd. - Stormy Monday (Capitol/Blue Note, 1962)

R.I.P. Les McCann

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I've had an eye out for that album for a while.  Still haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay.  As with many Japan-only releases, after-market prices are HIGH (especially when you factor in shipping from JP).  But I'm sure that I'll get 'round to it eventually.  ;) 

That [Blue Manhattan] is a very good '70s Al Haig album*, and I'm partial to that vintage Haig (though iirc Allen Lowe would differ) with those sidemen. I managed to acquire the 2006 Japanese reissue (blue cover) just after it was released for a reasonable price. 

*Invitation is my favorite, but Blue Manhattan is #2 of those I've heard.

28 minutes ago, T.D. said:

That [Blue Manhattan] is a very good '70s Al Haig album*, and I'm partial to that vintage Haig (though iirc Allen Lowe would differ) with those sidemen. I managed to acquire the 2006 Japanese reissue (blue cover) just after it was released for a reasonable price. 

*Invitation is my favorite, but Blue Manhattan is #2 of those I've heard.

I like all of Haig's music, both early and late.  ;) 

I agree with you re: Invitation.  It's terrific.  

Have you heard Haig's two Seabreeze LPs (both released in '76): Piano Interpretation (solo) and Interplay (duo with Jamil Nasser)?  IMO, they're both top-shelf Haig performances. 

I recently ordered Chelsea Bridge (East Wind, 1975), a trio date with Jamil Nasser and Billy Higgins.  Can't wait for it to get here, so I can hear the entire album.  (I've only found two cuts on the internet -- so I've just had a "taste" so far.)

Edited by HutchFan