• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snow on the trees outside my second floor window behind the system. Beautiful and serene in that cold quiet.

This disc has won me over with its clear sound and the expressive and interactive playing. Her pianism reminds me of that of an Austin pianist/trumpeter that i got to know well, Mel Winters and his touch and ideas. He is the most mathematical pianist I’ve ever known, and so immediately conversant with any chord mixture available. Hers is a bit more emotionally infused, but of a similar decisive blending. And then there’s Mark Turner, not on all tracks here, but always “just right.”

Miki Yamanaka “Stairway to the Stars”

f8436143395ba303119659fe4c1b22a1c06af6f7

Followed by
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers “Buhaina’s Delight” Blue Note reissue LP

Far more energy . . . how do the grooves hold it all!

972a1e0e39f486d80439397bcf8a58aac73ffa08

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1207638764.jpeg

I love Kenny Werner and his music.  But goodness gracious that's a wretched album cover . . . . in so many ways.  I understand documenting the music is the most important thing.  It is. It is. But come on!  You've gotta have some visual standards, don't you?!? . . . I realize that KW may have had nothing to do with the photograph or design.  But whoever did -- Nils Winther or whoever it was -- you can do better!  Kenny Werner and his music deserve better.

41 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I love Kenny Werner and his music.  But goodness gracious that's a wretched album cover . . . . in so many ways.  I understand documenting the music is the most important thing.  It is. It is. But come on!  You've gotta have some visual standards, don't you?!? . . . I realize that KW may have had nothing to do with the photograph or design.  But whoever did -- Nils Winther or whoever it was -- you can do better!  Kenny Werner and his music deserve better.

This aka the quality of Cover Art became an ongoing topic with SteepleChase from the mid80's onwards .... off course it's good to spend the majority of funds available to release new music, but unfortunately Nils Winther is not a talented photographer ....  

On 1/1/2024 at 4:59 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Re: Stan Getz 3 CD box - Clef & Norgran Studio Sessions

Sadly, one wrong track.

Have the box and I am not certain about a "wrong" track taken from the Shrine concert.

Flamingo (Disc 3 track # 9)  is from the vinyl comp.  "Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds". Have that vinyl too.

46907292xy.jpg

46907289ue.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

gonzales-jerry-fort-apache-band-earthdan

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

This aka the quality of Cover Art became an ongoing topic with SteepleChase from the mid80's onwards .... off course it's good to spend the majority of funds available to release new music, but unfortunately Nils Winther is not a talented photographer ....  

You're right. This Kenny Werner cover is just one egregious example of many.  Unfortunately. 

Of course, I'm still grateful to Winther for all the music, and that's the most important thing.

. . . But even Blue Note would not have become the icon that it is without Reid Miles & Francis Wolff.  The visuals are part of the equation!

O.K., I'll get off my soapbox now.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:10 PM, JSngry said:

Not sure why (other than some form of blacklisting, and you never know on way or the other) but this one seemed to go out of print and then STAY out of print until this CD, whereas It's Time stayed in print seemingly forever and going through a few shades of cover tint along the way.

This seems counter-intuitive to me in several ways? 

Good question. Percussion Bitter Sweet is definitely a much more politically overt record than Ir’s Time (also Booker Little’s last studio appearance, iirc?). John Szwed is working on a Max Roach bio which might offer more details on the context and legacy of Roach’s early-1960s discography.  I like the whole run of his 1960s records… it was hard to whittle them down for a show. 

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Good question. Percussion Bitter Sweet is definitely a much more politically overt record than Ir’s Time (also Booker Little’s last studio appearance, iirc?). John Szwed is working on a Max Roach bio which might offer more details on the context and legacy of Roach’s early-1960s discography.  I like the whole run of his 1960s records… it was hard to whittle them down for a show. 

That's good news. I've read Szwed's biographies of Miles and Sun Ra, and I thought they were very good. Happy to hear that he's working on one for Max.

NP:

OTMtOTEwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Al Haig Trio - Chelsea Bridge (East Wind, 1975)

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

A sweetly beguiling Elmer Bernstein score:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz0oxAcCKhvkSCg6Tmi

I saw that movie for the first time on TCM not too long ago.  I enjoyed it.  Nothing earth-shattering but sometimes lovely and sometimes funny.

Edited by HutchFan