• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, soulpope said:

Tom Waits classic ....

One of my best jazz buddies who sorry to say passed away in 2011, though he had the same jazz tastes like me (Bird, Rollins, Trane, Ornette) was also a big big fan of Tom Waits, he and his wife. They even had a Tom Waits song played when they married. I hadn´t ever heard of him and he said I must listen to it it is so great and he borrowed me some CDs and VHS or DVD, but honestly to say I couldn´t get a connection. Strange but true. I tried hard since he was my friend and he was the one who got me into all those greats since he was almost 6 years older than me, but it didn´t work with Tom Waits. I don´t know why, but that´s how it was, don´t have no explanation for it. 

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

image.jpeg.854e8cb7e090ab3145722aef2ac7f053.jpeg

011801.jpg

The Lausanne 1962 is some of the best Bud from all his live, period. Those versions of Anthropology and All God´s Chillun Got Rhythm, so fast, so hip, and fresh. Maybe the only thing is there could have been a better drummer. But it is much better than most of the Steeplechase Material from Golden Circle from the same period, on which it seems that Bud was bored, he mostly plays medium tempo blues for more than 15 minutes and sometimes seems to be on autopilot, but even there are some great moments, but again the rhythm section is not up to Bud´s standards. His ideal drummer in Europe was Kenny Clarke. And sometimes , other than Pierre Michelot or Pettiford when he was alive, there was not many bassists who knew his music......

46 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm listening to Ken Vandermark's How Harriott Project at the moment.

Me too now. Thanks for the reminder.

It's good to dig out some KV, I have so many so rarely listened to, as I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Oto Brotzmann tribute weekend next month

Edited by mjazzg