• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy May and his Orchestra / Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra    The Swing Era: The Music of 1940 - 1941: How It Was To Be Young Then

More out of interest than anything. 

Listening to it reminds me that I already knew these versions from hearing them played. 

Presumably for many consumers, the recollection of the Time Warner box set has replaced the recollection of the originals. Much like how the filmed versions of the moon landing have replaced the original news footage in many people's memories.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

The Don Byas Mosaic is sending me back to this 1995 Gillespie anthology, a seminal collection in my early days of passionate jazz fandom:

511V2ITUKcL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg 

Such a wonderful collection. This is really the school of bop. If you have Bird´s Savoy or Dial sessions and Dizzy´s RCA records, I think you have the basis to learn the bop language. At least in my case it was so, but that RCA collection did not exist 45-50 years ago. I think there was a black white cover LP with the later RCA sessions from 1949 with "Land of Oo Bla Dee" and so on. 

Also interesting the Victor session with all the leading musicians of bop or cool (a trumpet section consiting of Diz, Fats, Miles......just incredible....) 

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Chet Baker / Steve Houben – Chet Baker - Steve Houben

R-4808329-1376162942-8930.jpg.203d0cf3630ac993685da90a14f490b8.jpg

This one ranks pretty high in my opinion for late period Chet. Seems under-rated. 

Great Cover Photography .... off course a wealth of late career Cet Baker releases .... the Trios and the Duo with Paul Bley are my faves ..

71-ImzkGYvL._UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Reminds me to spin this one again, one of my most played "recent" albums actually... With Houben's son Greg playing the Chet-inspired trumpet.... Since uncle Jacques Pelzer was already playing this type of music, the album is kind of a celebration of three generations in the family business (and the two also made a cute but silly promo video that's on YouTube)

Edited by Niko

Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Research Arkestra – Paradiso Amsterdam 1970

Nice sound. I was excited for this release. . . but. . .I think my tastes have shifted away from this sort of Ra “jazz.” It’s seeming more like rock or pop music to me these days. . . the appeal has waned over the years.

bb1433aedc7aa62801b5ae9d2a21127cef87e510

3 hours ago, Niko said:

71-ImzkGYvL._UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Reminds me to spin this one again, one of my most played "recent" albums actually... With Houben's son Greg playing the Chet-inspired trumpet.... Since uncle Jacques Pelzer was already playing this type of music, the album is kind of a celebration of three generations in the family business (and the two also made a cute but silly promo video that's on YouTube)

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'd heard that his son played too and so I'm interested to hear it.