• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally finished listening to the June 1976 box set from the Grateful Dead. This set has me re-evaluating 1976 and had me sampling some other shows, but it wouldn't surprise me that if I listened to all that I have (and I have all the official releases) these shows might not turn out to be among the top shows.

My favorite sequence of tracks I just re-listened to: 

“St. Stephen”
“Not Fade Away”
“Stella Blue”
“Samson and Delilah”
“Friend of the Devil”

Beacon Theatre, NY, NY (6/15/76)

There are killer mid-sections of "St. Stephen" and "Not Fade Away" that show that the whole band (especially Keith, who is making strong contributions) came to play and to recapture that seat-of-the-pants exploration in a new way. And there's such a languid "Stella Blue" that it's comfortably numbed with ghostly moments. The swamp funk groove of "Samson and Delilah" seems no little feat and a new groove for the band, and the country calypso of "Friend of the Devil" sells this story of the friend who hasn't yet shot the sheriff but might because he's being pursued. . . .

Sound is really good on this set. GBPP (God Bless Plangent Process).
Edited by jazzbo

I stumbled across the fact that a huge number of Progressive Records jazz sessions are on iTunes, so am sampling liberally.  Earlier today it was Arnett Cobb is Back and Lee Konitz's Figure and Spirit.

Right now it is Don Friedman with Pepper Adams and Jimmy Knepper on Hot Knepper and Pepper:

R-9674719-1484575650-9240.jpeg.jpg

51eYxlfe3GL._SY400_.jpg

I listened to all of the Konitz-led (and co-led) material from the Mosaic yesterday and today.  Maybe the news is just starting to sink in or it is because this intimate recording captures what Lee sounded like live, but it is a punch to the gut. 

Edited by Justin V