• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I had a clinging not-feeling-so-well old dog on my lap a lot and didn't record what I listened to very much. But I had some very good music flowing through the system. Three that really struck me were:

Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" Test Pressing RSD release LP. This album is like a handful of great novels condensed onto two sides of an LP. Of course I love the original release, but these originally chosen tracks at an un-futzed with speed have their own forceful beauty.

Eric Dolphy "Out to Lunch" Blue Note Universal Japan SHM-SACD. I have never heard this sound better, and I haven't heard this session in a while. Tony Williams' bass drum head! If only this had the alternates that were on the 75th Anniversary SHM-CD.

Duke Ellington "Duke Ellington in Sweden 1973--featuring the Swedish Guests Alice Babs, Rolf Erikson, Ake Persson, Nils Lindberg"--I looked for this one on and off the last few weeks and found it had slipped behind one of my bookcases full of cds. I really like this concert late in the Duke's life. . . his piano playing in this period was often inspired and his love for Alice is clear from his announcements, and I'm a fan as well. This isn't the greatest recording but it is good enough, and the band seems to be enjoying the guest artists and the audience, and the audience is very enthusiastic. And some great playing, just overall what seems a historic night and we're fortunate to have it for our pleasure.