Harp – Gloria Agostini
Martin Davies
Oboe – Dennis Anderson
Percussion – Steve Kroon
Piano – Gil Goldstein, Sir Roland Hanna
Soprano Saxophone – Steve Lacy
Vocals – Helen Merrill

I got this for Chrismas. 

It´s a shame I didn´t know this record until now. It was recorded about the same time as "Black Saint..." but it has more already known stuff, like the Theme For Lester Young, and Hora Decubitus actually is "E´s flat A´s flat too" from "Blues and Roots" and the first tune II.B.S. actually is "Haitian Fight Song". 

What a wonderful album, great arrangements, and I X Love is a wonderful ballad that I already knew with another title from "Town Hall Concert". 

And what a great version of "Mood Indigo", with some of the best bass solo work of Mingus. Anyway, besides his immense role as a composer, Mingus for me is the greatest bassist of his generation. 

The CD has a bonus track "Freedom" which is much better than the one on "Town Hall".

I´m so glad I got this record.....

Download (7).jpg

8 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I got this for Chrismas. 

It´s a shame I didn´t know this record until now. It was recorded about the same time as "Black Saint..." but it has more already known stuff, like the Theme For Lester Young, and Hora Decubitus actually is "E´s flat A´s flat too" from "Blues and Roots" and the first tune II.B.S. actually is "Haitian Fight Song". 

What a wonderful album, great arrangements, and I X Love is a wonderful ballad that I already knew with another title from "Town Hall Concert". 

And what a great version of "Mood Indigo", with some of the best bass solo work of Mingus. Anyway, besides his immense role as a composer, Mingus for me is the greatest bassist of his generation. 

The CD has a bonus track "Freedom" which is much better than the one on "Town Hall".

Download (7).jpg

mmm ... interesting

Edited by Referentzhunter

51Cg2X15U2L.jpg

David Murray Power Quartet - Like a Kiss That Never Ends (Justin Time)
with John Hicks, Ray Drummond, and Andrew Cyrille

Excellent.

20 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I got this for Chrismas. 

Download (7).jpg

5 stars aren't enough for that one.  More like 100 stars!  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

1 minute ago, Referentzhunter said:

which press ?

Sorry, Referentzhunter, I'm not the right person to ask.  I just have an Impulse CD from years ago -- cardboard digipack, U.S. issue. 

There may be better-sounding issues out there.  I dunno.  ... I'm just talking about the music;)  

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Sorry, Referentzhunter, I'm not the right person to ask.  I just have an Impulse CD from years ago -- cardboard digipack, U.S. issue. 

There may be better-sounding issues out there.  I dunno.  ... I'm just talking about the music;)  

Ok? ... ok... OK

Edited by Referentzhunter

2 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

Ok? ... o ... OK

Someone with a better quality system and better hearing should be able to advise you. 

All I know about Impulse releases is that you should AVOID their first-generation CDs.  They're awful.  Even someone like me, who isn't really an "audiophile," can hear that they are NOT good.  Otherwise, I couldn't ever tell much difference between them.

Maybe that helps?

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Someone with a better quality system and better hearing should be able to advise you. 

All I know about Impulse releases is that you should AVOID their first-generation CDs.  They're awful.  Even someone like me, who isn't really an "audiophile," can hear that they are NOT good.  Otherwise, I couldn't ever tell much difference between them.

Maybe that helps?

yeah ... oK