• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thelonious Monk Quartet with Johnny Griffin – In Action: Recorded Live at the Five Spot Café, NYC [CD 8b from the Complete Riverside Recordings session 19a] (Riverside Records)
— Thelonious Monk — piano; Johnny Griffin — tenor saxophone; Ahmed Abdul-Malik — bass; Roy Haynes — drums

MI0001633340.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  MI0002057774.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

John Surman – Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop – April '69 (Cuneiform Records)

MI0003127276.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel: 
John Surman: soprano and baritone saxophones; Alan Skidmore: tenor saxophone, flute; Ronnie Scott: tenor saxophone; Mike Osborne: alto saxophone; Malcolm Griffiths: trombone; Erich Kleinschuster: trombone; Kenny Wheeler: trumpet, flugelhorn; Fritz Pauer: piano; Harry Miller: bass; Alan Jackson: drums.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

MI0000636355.jpg

Still seems like an unlikely partnership to me, unlikely as hell, but Warne seems really comfortable and good things always happen when that happens.

Going again. Warne...that guy was a master, not a "master", a master. And if you just listen for sweat, you'll probably not hear any of it. But if it's water you're looking for, you'll have drinks forever.

51HZVFYBzkL._SS500.jpg

Warne is still Warne, but this Pete Christlieb guy, there's always been something that puts me off him,  and hearing him besides Warne finally brought it into focus - the motherfucker sounds like a tenor version of Phil Woods, not the earlier Phil Woods, but the later one, the one that I have to respect but I don't have to like, which is good, because I don't like it, not from Phil Woods, nor from Pete Christlieb. No sir, I don't like it, not one bit.

But Warne, Warne is as close to omniscient as anybody can be. Warne does not sound at all like Phil Woods, early, middle, or later. Warne did not have time for that.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

51HZVFYBzkL._SS500.jpg

Warne is still Warne, but this Pete Christlieb guy, there's always been something that puts me off him,  and hearing him besides Warne finally brought it into focus - the motherfucker sounds like a tenor version of Phil Woods, not the earlier Phil Woods, but the later one, the one that I have to respect but I don't have to like, which is good, because I don't like it, not from Phil Woods, nor from Pete Christlieb. No sir, I don't like it, not one bit.

But Warne, Warne is as close to omniscient as anybody can be. Warne does not sound at all like Phil Woods, early, middle, or later. Warne did not have time for that.

The Christlieb/Woods linkage -- he shoots, he scores.

BTW, I was listening today to some of the Benny Carter/Wloods album "My Man Benny, My Man Phil" (MusicMasters, 1989). Carter, at age 82, is in great form, but when Woods starts to growl, chortle, etc., I'm at a loss. What happened to the excellent Woods of 1957 and earlier and why did it happen? I guess we'll never know. (BTW, some of the Woods solo work on the Oliver Nelson Mosaic set is relatively  sober and quite good. In those instances, I suspect, the lucid complexity of Nelson's writing served as a guiding, restraining influence.