So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Pleased to hear that you've got to the point where you feel the address is ready. I wish you well in its delivery at the weekend. 

Thanks. I'm glad to be at this point and hope to be beyond soon.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I'm just hoping I can get through it without breaking down even slightly. It's been a very emotional month, and there's going to be a lot of people present.

But even if you do break down it will be an honest and heartfelt reaction. I gave the address at my younger sister's funeral (my parents were too distraught to even think about doing it) and it was very difficult but I'm glad I was able to. I broke down at the end for a moment or two, no-one cared.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

But even if you do break down it will be an honest and heartfelt reaction. I gave the address at my younger sister's funeral (my parents were too distraught to even think about doing it) and it was very difficult but I'm glad I was able to. I broke down at the end for a moment or two, no-one cared.

Yes I know. The bar is high for me. My Dad won a national speech making contest when he was 18 which partially funded his first few years of college. And he was a fantastic writer and deliverer of sermons. And he always took pride in how well I would make readings at a service or speak in public etc. So. . . I want to do this flawlessly, and knows that it will be okay if I don't.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Yes I know. The bar is high for me. My Dad won a national speech making contest when he was 18 which partially funded his first few years of college. And he was a fantastic writer and deliverer of sermons. And he always took pride in how well I would make readings at a service or speak in public etc. So. . . I want to do this flawlessly, and knows that it will be okay if I don't.

Wishing you all the best with it on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Duke Ellington and Ray Brown ‎– This One's For Blanton (Pablo, 1975)

R-3678635-1340035347-5213.jpg

:tup

Now:

Primary

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Say it out loud to yourself a few times either by yourself or to your wife before delivering it in public. It helps with the emotions. You sort of deal with them ahead of time in the more private renderings.  At least I find that for myself. I have to speak at my mother's funeral service in a couple of weeks; in fact I am the main speaker, and I'm certainly going to follow my own advice here.

All the best. You'll do well. 

I volunteered to play "Amazing Grace" at my mom's funeral. The leadup to doing it almost killed me (and almost literally....blood pressure and pulse just trunning wild). But the moment I began to play, it all went away, because it was from the heart, and that's something I can do.

So just keep your heart open. It'll all be all good.

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

What's this? Is it good?

Yes.  Very good!  Probably my favorite Kenny Burrell from the 80s.

with Ron Carter & DeJohnette.  No pianist, so it has a nice open feel.

For instance:

Edited by HutchFan

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81VYl8vt7PL._AC_SL600_.jpg

I love it, and sometimes I listened to those three "Sky" "Filles" and "Silent Way" and of course Bitches Brew one after the other. Such a great evolution.

But I still wonder why "We Want Miles" as a great live album when Miles still played "jazz" and not "pop" is not in your "Jazz of the 80´s"....

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

LTk0NjQuanBlZw.jpeg

Somehow I have the impression Grover Washington "came and went".....
In the early 80´s DB reported he shared stage with Sonny Rollins (Grover on soprano of course and I remember the commentary "or would you like to face Sonny Rollins on stage with a tenor ?).....
Someone sometimes bought me an album under his own name, it was nice easy music, but something like "background music" as it seemed to me. Nothing challenging.....

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

You'be been there for your father during lifetime  so nothing more to be proved .... obviously easier said than done, so all the best for the festivity ....